• Show
Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Preventative Maintenance NT Pajero

Preventative Maintenance

Our NT auto diesel has been a reliable vehicle with around 175k on it.
    It is regularly serviced and fluids ie auto and other drive train fluids fluids changed every 50k.
    Inlet manifold has been cleaned and it has a Donaldson 3 micron 99% efficiency filter and oil catch can fitted. All recalls have been completed. Fan belts have been replaced and a new set of hoses will be fitted before our next big trip. Ditto a new set of tyres. Battery was replaced in 2018. Brakes are fine. Tappets will be check at 200k. Might even fit some new fuel lines at 200k.

I'd like some input from the Pajero Club brains trust re additional items I'm likely to attend to. eg

Wheel bearings - km ( im thinking 200-250k - happy to be told otherwise)
    Suction control valve (I'm thinking around 200k)
    What else?

Thanks in advance

Hill
    Last edited by Hill; 28-03-19, 09:16 PM.
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4
  • Kimmy
    • Aug 2014
    • Adelaide

Hi, I just want to know what’s symptoms of bed suction control valve?
    Is it running rough in the first start when cold weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kimmy
      • Aug 2014
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kimmy View Post
      Hi, I just want to know what’s symptoms of bad suction control valve?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Kimmy View Post
        Hi, I just want to know what’s symptoms of bed suction control valve?

Scv symptoms are surging.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Hill View Post
          What else?

Thanks in advance

Hill
          I think you're pretty much on top of it.

It doesn't necessarily count as preventative maintenance, but I learned that I had two dragging brake calipers (one front, one rear) by monitoring tyre temperatures with internal tyre pressure sensors.

I wouldn't have seen it with external sensors. In comparing results with fellow travellers, the external sensors don't give useful temperature information. It took a lot of monitoring, and ruling out other potential influences such as sun, wind and road conditions, but I found the problem long before I noticed excess brake dust on one wheel (as I had with Shorty) or unevenly worn pads come pad change.

I'm hoping it might warn me of failing bearings, but I can't speak from experience.

I have a Masten system (found thanks to this forum) that is routinely available for a little over $200, including a 5th sensor for the spare. Pressures and temperatures are always displayed on the screen, and it has configurable alarms for both. For less than the cost of one tyre, I think it's cheap insurance with the bonus of diagnostic capability.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Hill.

330,000 on our NS. Original bearings and water hoses. Like your's it's serviced regularly.

Things we have replaced..Suction valve around 220,000 was surging. Swirl control valve around 120,000 was throwing codes. Belts twice, glow plugs around 225,000. Only running on 3 now as one old one snapped off.

Runnig a dream. Just dd outer western suburbs to Brisbane via New England averaged 10 5. Return via M! 9.8. No complaints for a 2 tonne vehicle.

Comment

• Kimmy
              • Aug 2014
              • Adelaide

Preventative Maintenance

It is regularly serviced and fluids ie auto and other drive train fluids fluids changed every 50k.
              Inlet manifold has been cleaned and it has a Donaldson 3 micron 99% efficiency filter and oil catch can fitted. All recalls have been completed. Fan belts have been replaced and a new set of hoses will be fitted before our next big trip. Ditto a new set of tyres. Battery was replaced in 2018. Brakes are fine. Tappets will be check at 200k. Might even fit some new fuel lines at 200k.

I'd like some input from the Pajero Club brains trust re additional items I'm likely to attend to. eg

What else?

Thanks in advance

Hill

Hill

Do you service transmission every 50k?

Are you using original fluid or aftermarket, like Penrite or Nulon fluid?

Comment

• crojo
                • Aug 2015
                • Drouin

Same as you we have done the preventative maintenance and usual mods.

210k our NT had a wheel bearing and we changed the belts and ac pulley.

Looking at the glow plugs for next service. Haven’t changed water hoses as yet they still look quite good and we have flushed the radiator a few times since having the car.

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

Preventative Maintenance

What else?

Thanks in advance

Hill
                  Sounds similar to what I do. All fluids (diffs, transfer case, a/t, brake fluid, coolant), regular filter changes, belts and hoses (I keep the old ones as emergency spares in the seat well), and keep an eye on normal wear items (such as engine mounts, suspension bushes, ball joints, etc)

Personally, I wouldn’t bother doing SCV and wheel bearings ‘preventatively’ - I’d wait until they show signs of wear (ie noisy wheel bearings). Don’t use aftermarket wheel bearings, according to several friends who have used them, aftermarket seem to fail much. Out of interest, my NT is over 300k and still has the original wheel bearings but had to do the front upper control arm ball joints. It’s all about doing regular checks and addressing anything found.

The a/c cabin filter is another this often forgotten.
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• dhula
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • South of Perth

When you do the rad hoses don't forget to do all the other little coolant hoses around the place like heater core etc. They often get forgotten about but are still degrading due to age much the same as the rad hoses.
                    Maybe also consider the intercooler hoses as well, if nothing else a good check of them to be sure they aren't degrading. I haven't read/heard of Pajero ones failing but on makes to get a mention from time to time.
                    Other than that I reckon routine checks is the way to go, fixing/replacing when worn or before your next big trip if you think it's getting close.
                    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

Thanks everyone for your input. Keep them coming.

What I'm also after are items that will stop us. We always try to get away each winter for 3 months/ 15 -20k km and to date have towed our Quantum to the tip of Cape York, NT and WA , Gibb River Road etc. Were looking at completing The Savannah Way this winter.

While I do a fair bit of servicing myself I always have a pretrip check at least once a year.

Nj swb - have had a few grabby brakes in the past but never in Pajero. Good thinking

Bruce&Bobbie - Your NS has given great service. My mates NP has 350k on original bearing and fuel pump. Must admit I get nervous when travelling with him and its notheing to do with bearings.

Kimmy - Auto has a flush, filter and Penrite auto trans every 50k. We tow a 2.4T off road camper.

Crojo - Thanks for the heads up re ac pulley.

Geopaj - Agree re SCV as this shouldn't stop up. Disagree re wheel bearings mainly due to inconvenience of changing them out when travelling. Thanks for heads up re Upper control arm ball joints.

Dhula - Agree re all water hoses.

Input from Crojo point to replacing wheel bearings at 200k rather than 300k. They will eventually need replacing with some good quality Japanese bearings.

Anyone had trouble with cv boots - fatigue rather than physical damage?
                      Ditto Starter motor?
                      Diff bushes?

Hill
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Keithyv
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2018
                        • Perth

What about alternators? I know in my old Terracan they'd go at about 100,000km

Pajero ones seem to last 'forever' ?
                        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Hill
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Adelaide

Keithyv
                          I replaced the alternator on our old Pajero at 170k
                          A non working alternator will slow us down but not stop us. I have 4 batteries between van and car and 420 watts of solar
                          Hill
                          200 Series
                          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• benckj
                            Valued Member
                            • Oct 2017
                            • Alexandra , New Zealand

First thing on my list would be the HBB motor. I got caught out on this one and many are failing now. Once it fails you lose brakes in a very short time and unlike a power vacuum system cannot even have limited hard braking. It takes time to figure out how much of the MC needs attention and then source parts. MM only sell complete units for around $3500

Comment

• geopaj
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by benckj View Post
                              First thing on my list would be the HBB motor. I got caught out on this one and many are failing now. Once it fails you lose brakes in a very short time and unlike a power vacuum system cannot even have limited hard braking. It takes time to figure out how much of the MC needs attention and then source parts. MM only sell complete units for around $3500
                              That is actually a good idea. The HBB motor has been on my mind too.

You might find these threads interesting

And repair kit for $210 delivered
                              Oem part numbers MR407202, MR569728, MR977461, MN116391, B2PAS407230355, 0M080712, 7F29044, 2C290415, 2L070867, 2L010711, 0J130485, 2L300227 MN102843 AFTER 10 DAYS FROM DELIVERY (24H) WE PREPARE THE COLLECTION IN NS. LOAD OF VS. ARMATURE NOT WORKING We review any model of electric motor for similar applications.  FOR THOSE WHO NEED AN INVOICE, PLEASE COMMUNICATE THE VAT NUMBER AND THE TAX CODE AT THE CONTEXT OF THE PAYMENT. IF WE DO NOT RECEIVE COMMUNICATIONS ABOUT OR INFORMATION THAT IS NOT COMPLETE, WE WILL ISSUE A TAX RECEIPT WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF MODIFICATION  FOR PAYPAL PAYMENTS THE INVOICE MUST BE REQUESTED AND THE DATA TRANSMITTED EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH THE NOTES PRESENT IN THE PAYPAL MESSAGES ON THE PAYMENT PAGE. OTHERWISE WE WILL NOT ISSUE AN INVOICE BUT A TAX RECEIPT THE ITEM W.

Your explanation of how the system works once failed reminded me of a race car I used to own. It had non-power assisted disk brakes. The brakes worked fine but you had to push the pedal MUCH harder than a car with power assisted brakes. That caught out a few friends when they borrowed it for a 'fun hot lap'.
                              Last edited by geopaj; 30-03-19, 09:16 AM.
                              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X