Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 12-02-19

Default torque front wheel outer bearings

HI all,
I've currently got wheels, calipers, hubs, rotors , inner & outer tie rods, lower ball joints & shocks off my NG swb import (initially to replace shocks, went deep) AT HOME replacing rotors, tie rods, lower ball joints & shocks. I didn't really know what I was doing to start & have overcome a lot of difficulties to get this far.

Anyway, to put it back together, the outer wheel bearing races are supposed to be torqued using the 'ring nut', which threads on to the outer knuckle assembly (see thread below for pics on what I mean).
I'm finding a nut wrench socket to fit extremely hard to find, I'm looking at either getting one manufactured or do as the guy on this thread did: http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads...1074827/1.html
in post #1047830, near the bottom of first page, -- or save time, buy this tool http://performancetool.com/item.aspx?iid=218
& cut off two of the pins, as it is not actually designed for our beloved vehicles.
I've got a cheap driver set for the inside bearings, thought about it for the outers, but the bearing place bloke suggested that wasn't a good idea, which I agree with.

Any further knowledge greatly appreciated.
Old 24-02-19

Could you get a piece of pipe and grind it so that it has the two little spigots? Then weld a nut on or something? I’m going to be doing the same thing shortly, so I’d be interested in following your solution.
Old 24-02-19
Valued Member

I made this one for a Nissan, but same principle for MITS I would expect.
2" water pipe was a good fit in this instance.
Separation of the tangs can be adjusted by squeezing (or belting with large hammer) at an appropriate point.

20190224_195642.jpg
Old 26-02-19

I had to make one a few months back. I used a socket that was close to the nut diameter, ground out grooves, and welded 2 8mm bolts to it to fit the holes. It worked but broke after a single use. I just had to make something with what I had. It would have worked better if I had harder bolts