• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

WA Cape Arid

We spent 10 days in Cape Arid in January, we normally go alone but this time we had 4 other families with us! First night we stopped at Elverdton near Ravensthorpe, a free camp with sort of flat ground. Sunset was magic, the rest of the trip had similar views.

We normally camp at the DEC campground but there was not enough room for us so we drove the campers down the beach and found the perfect spot to fit us all without being in each others faces.

The remnants of a cyclone in NW WA seemed to send the clouds our way but no rain ;D They provided some awesome looking skies for us.

More cracking sunsets

Kids had a blast playing on the beach, my 6yo enjoying her new fishing rod that she got for Chrissy!

A few of us went for a walk up Mt Arid. I was babysitting so didn't get to do the trek, thankfully I didn't as they saw 3 snakes on the trek, nicely camoflagued! Good day for a walk too.

Some beautiful rock formations, something has created a little pattern too.

[img width=360 height=480]https://i.imgur.com/Sg1JfEh.jpg[/img]

A couple days had no clouds, others had fun being towed behind a quad on the pristine white beaches.

At camp we saw 4 snakes near the surrounding bushes, 2 2ft Tiger snakes, a 1.5m Tiger snake and a 1.5-2m Dugite. It was a bloody big bastard that put the shivers up everyone and from then on we all were on high alert!

The trip went well, no-one had any barneys/arguments with each other and all got on fantastically. We normally camp on our own so it was nice that everyone gelled together.

There were a few mechanical issues though. Between us the list was:
    Sidewall sliced open in a new tyre
    2x CV boots split and CVs buggered
    Jockey wheel sheared off due to crappy welds
    Air compressor died
    Camper canvas ripped open along one side approx 2m
    Dead alternator
    Intermittent fusible link connection (took a while to find)

Then on the second last day one of the kids got a fish hook in his cheek (superficial wound) and my missus got some sort of gastro (top end only). She came good the next day but then another got the same thing but this time at both ends - they decided to drive home that day, stopping 20+ times for fluid extraction... So far about 5 of the group has come down with it. Not sure how, we all used our own toilets and cooked our own food.

All up 2226km, 10 nights, good food and great company. None of the others had been there before and they were blown away by the white beaches and clear water.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

oGreat photos. It is a fabulous area - a bit remote to be encountering the snakes you listed.

It is interesting that you described most f the snakes as being xxx feet long. I am fully metricated but if I see a snake it was not 1.5 m long - it was 5 ft long!

You had a few n=mechanical mishaps as well - again not an area for anything serious to happen to you. Great area, great trip. Congratulations...

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

A great trip - a beautiful area to visit. Great photos. A few too many snakes for my liking. And the area is rather remote for something to go wrong there.

It is interesting that although I am fully metricated, whenever I see a snake it was a 5 foot long brown or whatever, not a 1.5 m brown.

You had a few mechanical mishaps. The area is a bit remote for anything serious to happen to your vehicles. Luckily they weren't too bad. Thanks for posting

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X