• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paj whisperer
    • May 2013
    • Ellenbrook

Gull Wing Windows

Hi there,

Am interested to know if anyone has converted their rear windows into gull wing windows so you can access the rear cargo area from the sides without opening the rear door?
    Adrian
    2010 NT GLS - Maxxis 980 Bravo A/T 275/65R17, ARB Bullbar&Tow Bar Pack, Rhino Rack Platform, Sunseeker II Awning, Milford Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabba Mats,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Dr Air Pro 150L/m, Oricom UHF280, 1100mm TREDS, SPVi EGR Module Mk3.1 Plug and Play, Scorpion Quad Diff Breather Kit, Bushskinz Under Body Protection, Runva 11XP, Red Arc Dual battery Setup, Donaldson Fuel Filter, Rear Cargo Drawers Custom made,Batman Lights
    Next Project: Rear Gull Wing windows
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I've had the same though but haven't done it.
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• green troll
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2015
      • Adelaide

I know on the patrol forum a guy was selling them. Great idea.

Comment

• dhula
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • South of Perth

Common to see LR Defenders and Troopys with them but never seen any other make with them yet.
        On a Gen 1 or 2 Paj I reckon they'd be worthwhile as the very rear windows are quite big and pretty square, plus the side of the body is relatively flat so you could mod the body and make the opening even bigger if you were that way inclined and had the talent to do it or knew someone who could.
        Not so sure about the Gen 3+ as the rear window is a bit smaller and an odd shape plus the body seams to be a bit more rounded so the end result may not yield that much access in real terms although some is better than none.
        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• conquistador
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • sth east queensland

Outside of the landrover 110, where all you need is a set square, jigsaw, hinge & some spare time normally taken up cleaning the oil off the driveway. I know of a bloke that does them for patrols and 100 series. Emu or ostrich wings I think.

It will be a challenge on the gen 3&4 on account of the flush leading edge at the c pillar and not square nor straight top edge.

Along much the same lines A sliding glass cutout for the rear window like you see on some vans and nissan navara would be handy in the rear window to get to small gear. Also come in handy aiming the shotty whilst fleeing the zombie apocalypse.

Comment

• ratdally
            • May 2010
            • tassie

Hi. Havent had a close look at this, but I wonder if the hinges and catch could be modified/replaced to allow the Windows to open to the side out of the way.

Regards Mark

Comment

• conquistador
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2012
              • sth east queensland

Originally posted by ratdally View Post
              Hi. Havent had a close look at this, but I wonder if the hinges and catch could be modified/replaced to allow the Windows to open to the side out of the way.

Regards Mark
              As i understand it the current hinge at the front only retains the glass in its current arc + a bit extra once the rear camloc is detached and moved beyond this range the glass can be removed.

Comment

• paj whisperer
                • May 2013
                • Ellenbrook

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and comments. I haven't found any kits online for the Pajeros but I do like the idea of seeing if I can modify the existing hinge and catch first and if that's not possible, then I will try the sliding glass cutout idea next.

Thanks once again for all the comments and ideas, they are always greatly appreciated
                Adrian
                2010 NT GLS - Maxxis 980 Bravo A/T 275/65R17, ARB Bullbar&Tow Bar Pack, Rhino Rack Platform, Sunseeker II Awning, Milford Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabba Mats,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Dr Air Pro 150L/m, Oricom UHF280, 1100mm TREDS, SPVi EGR Module Mk3.1 Plug and Play, Scorpion Quad Diff Breather Kit, Bushskinz Under Body Protection, Runva 11XP, Red Arc Dual battery Setup, Donaldson Fuel Filter, Rear Cargo Drawers Custom made,Batman Lights

Comment

• vk7hch
                  • Oct 2013
                  • Kingston Beach, Tasmania

What about a shaped piece of aluminium/stainless/powder coated steel that can be placed on the outside, same size and shape as glass, with a "ring" piece on the inside, sandwiching the existing window lip between the two. Suitably sealed etc...
                  Then you can cut any shape you like into the metal to make your gull wing door, the metal just becomes a frame to hold it to the car.
                  You will not get 100% of the available space, but it may work.
                  That is one very lonely thought that has been bouncing around inside my head for a while.
                  No detracting from original vehicle, keeps resale etc..
                  The only other one I have seen that swings out on the existing hinge goes at a strange angle, I think it was a South African car.
                  Not Gen 3 but same general idea
                  Last edited by vk7hch; 27-07-16, 05:27 PM. Reason: found link
                  2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.

Comment

• paj whisperer
                    • May 2013
                    • Ellenbrook

Thanks vk7hch for another great idea (and the link) to consider as well
                    Adrian

Comment

• widgy
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Tassie

I saw a set on a GU patrol a little while back made from aluminium chequer plate set up as gullwing doors complete with gas struts exceptional well done have considered fitting something similar to our shorty will be a project for the future
                      NH shorty gls factory rear locker suspension seats 32" MTZ's 2" body lift 2" suspension lift ,4M41 conversion ,top mount IC,TJM Winch Bar 12000lb winch Stedi 120watt light bar plus more to come

Comment

• kleinh17
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Germany

Any news, three years later?

Hello,
                        trying to reheat this topic, anyone knowing if there is a gullwing product out there for a Pajero Gen 4? Or any DIY?

regards,
                        -Oliver.
                        Pajero V80 2016 (NX) 3.2 DiD, OME 914/918 springs with 90006/90033 shocks, Cooper S/T Maxx 265/70R17, DIY side steps, Rhino Rack rails and Upracks roof rack, Darche HighView RTT, LED working lights, backdoor table (nothing wrong with me, Ronny)

Comment

• Tonestar
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by kleinh17 View Post
                          Any news, three years later?

Hello,
                          trying to reheat this topic, anyone knowing if there is a gullwing product out there for a Pajero Gen 4? Or any DIY?

regards,
                          -Oliver.
                          I know, old thread, but this may still help someone

Emuwing provides a gull wing access solution that replaces the existing sliding or solid window, making those hard to reach places in the cargo area of your vehicle useable.

It's also now available for the Gen 2

Emuwing provides a gull wing access solution that replaces the existing sliding or solid window, making those hard to reach places in the cargo area of your vehicle useable.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X