• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crocodile
    • Jul 2019
    • Gold Coast

2005 Pajero new to me.

Hello All,
    I have just bought a 2005 3.8 petrol manual.
    I love it.
    I can see why these were so popular when new.
    I will do an oil change when it gets to an even 10000 k.
    Is there anything that a careful home mechanic needs to know about doing and oil change?
    How far do you guys go between changes?
    thanks in advance.
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

Congrats on the new purchase, They are a wonderful car, very good family car and very capable offroad. We got ours at around 60,000k and it's now pushing 320,000k and showing no signs of wear - I make sure to keep the running gear in top condition and replace the oil with a good quality synthetic product (penrite HPR5) every 7,000 - 10,000k with a small top-up in between that - so far so good.

One thing I have noticed (and see on here a bit) is from day one it's always used oil between changes - not a lot (1L/5000k) but does require monitoring. Interestingly enough it doesn't leak and I've not noticed any blue smoke so it's a mystery to me.

Only annoyance with an oil change is the bash plate, it can be a little annoying to remove, especially when its an aftermarket one and it hits you in the head but overall a service usually takes no more than 30 minutes from start to finish.
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• DAUMULLER
      • Oct 2010
      • Capetown

Oil change

Hi I have same vehicle. Below is what Mitshibishi recommended (used it for 10 years).
      Brand Quantity Capacity(with oil filter)
      Castrol Magnatec part synthetic 10W30 5L 4.8L

I change mine every 7500KM as I think 15000KM is to long and It is our second car so we only do about 10000km per year.

My car has done 195000km with no major problems.
      Last edited by DAUMULLER; 29-03-21, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Crocodile
        • Jul 2019
        • Gold Coast

Hello All,
        I did the oil change when it was on interval.
        Very straightforward except that the sump plug was burred and my home mechanic 17mm socket would slip.
        The ring spanner was a tight fit but it also slipped.
        I took it to a mechanic who had better tools and the plug unloosened easily. (Proper socket with a long breaker bar).
        I got him to crack all of the plugs in the diffs, gearbox and transfer case so when I check them my toy spanners will work.
        I like that the filter holds most of the oil and does not let it run everywhere.
        New sump plug and job is done.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X