• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

A timely reminder

Members of our 4WD club went off the side of Zeka Spur (Vic) last week, rolling the car twice and luckily being stopped going all the way down by one of the only two trees in that spot.
    They were turning a tight corner on one of the switchbacks heading down to the Wonnangatta valley and the side of the track gave way. They weren't doing anything wrong and are experienced drivers taking their time going down but the edge had a build up of sand and medium sized rocks which hadn't bonded together so the last 6-8" of road was very loose. As they made the turn wide, that part just crumbled and over they went.

Fortunately they got out with bruises and cuts but it could have been a lot worse if they missed that tree.

I only mention this in here to provide a warning that we all need to be mindful that the high country can be a dangerous place, even for the most experienced and careful drivers. Please take care out there and don't assume the edges of the tracks are solid.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Good point Ian. Although I frequent the High Country often I have not (touch wood) had anything like that happen...yet. Im sure it would put the wind up you happening unexpectantly.
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

I forgot to add, the car was a write off and took 3 attempts to recover.

Not towing so with a tyre and other gear on the roof, maybe a bit top heavy too. I can't say for sure on that.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• gemster
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Gold Coast

Very Lucky... Glad they are ok...

Gemster....
        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

Good to hear no one was hurt badly. Things like that happen so quickly and unexpectedly – hindsight is a great thing they say - even though we think we’ve covered every base there can always be that one little thing that brings you undone and really ruin you day.

Cheers

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

QantasReminds me of this one:

Comment

• Patagonia
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2009
              • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
              Reminds me of this one:

https://youtu.be/GeYmDOzoibk
              Its a difficult situation going backwards...had a couple of ones like that and what I do is have one or two people pyshing the vehicle from the side to help keep it on track.
              2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
              Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
              31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
              2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X