• Show
Clear All
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Tappet adjustment

hi
    I know somebody did a step by step tappet adjustment Thread on here but I cant find it. I havent adjusted tappets since the early 70's so Im a bit out of practice.

I notice there are a few queries about Tappet Adjustment lately probably because people have a bit of time off and can do a few jobs on there cars.

I was wondering if this thread, once found, could be a Sticky in Mechanical

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
  • kerway
    • Aug 2010
    • North West Sydney

Heres the link to one that Goodsy did. Even has pictures.

Good luck.
    NW CoolSilver with things bolted on it. Some better than others

Comment

• pajaj70
      • Apr 2016
      • Melbourne

Any recommendations of mechanics in Melbourne east or south east with experience on NX pajero tappet adjustment?
      NX 2016 GLX , Boos bash plates, catch can and flashlube primary filter.

Comment

• explorin
        • Jan 2017
        • Victoria

Thats a fun job!

don't forget to replace your chain guide when you do the tappets. it is a lot of work to get into the rocker cover to not do a cheap wearing part IMO.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2016
          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by explorin View Post
          Thats a fun job!

don't forget to replace your chain guide when you do the tappets. it is a lot of work to get into the rocker cover to not do a cheap wearing part IMO.

Chain guide is not a problem from the NS on.

Comment

• Keithyv
            Valued Member
            • May 2018
            • Perth

I’m not sure about that, this recall site has models listed up until 10th March 2014 (i.e NW) listed on the timing chain recall.
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
              I’m not sure about that, this recall site has models listed up until 10th March 2014 (i.e NW) listed on the timing chain recall.
              https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...-pajero-diesel

Yes that's correct.

It's for the tensioner not the guide that gave trouble in the previous model.

Comment

• explorin
                • Jan 2017
                • Victoria

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                Chain guide is not a problem from the NS on.

Hi,
                I never said it was a problem, i was only pointing out that since you are in the vicinity of the guide, you may as well replace it IMO. its cheap and easy to do.

I'm not saying to replace the tensioner etc.

if you book it in to be done at dealer etc, they generally do this guide anyways. it is a consumable and its a lot of effort to get to it so why not?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Hi,
                  I never said it was a problem, i was only pointing out that since you are in the vicinity of the guide, you may as well replace it IMO. its cheap and easy to do.

I'm not saying to replace the tensioner etc.

if you book it in to be done at dealer etc, they generally do this guide anyways. it is a consumable and its a lot of effort to get to it so why not?

Ok. I give in.

Comment

• Keithyv
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2018
                    • Perth

I learned something here!

So earlier (pre NS) there were guide issues but later (right up until parts of the NW run) there were tensioner issues?
                    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• explorin
                      • Jan 2017
                      • Victoria

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                      I learned something here!

So earlier (pre NS) there were guide issues but later (right up until parts of the NW run) there were tensioner issues?

the guides on NS and later weren't necessarily failing, each case is different on how bad the tensioner got i assume.

It was just good practise to at least inspect the upper guide and or replace them if necessary seeing that you have completed most of the work to gain access to the guides in the first place. I am talking about the upper guide specifically.

here is a well documented thread about it.

this mat clarify what i mean.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...source=recalls

the guides on NS and later weren't necessarily failing, each case is different on how bad the tensioner got i assume.

It was just good practise to at least inspect the upper guide and or replace them if necessary seeing that you have completed most of the work to gain access to the guides in the first place. I am talking about the upper guide specifically.

here is a well documented thread about it.

this mat clarify what i mean.

Sorry but that is useless on a Gen 4 as they are common rail. Ours has done 320,000ks and yes we had the tensioner replaced under the recall.

Have never heard of a guide failing in the Gen 4.

Comment

• GHendo
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Northern NSW

I don’t know it the top timing chain guide on the Gen 3 and 4 are the same – they probably are, however the original guide that was failing on the Gen 3’s was replaced with a new guide with a completely new part number – the number now is “1140A026”.

If the later models don’t have the problem, it is probably because they came out of the factory with the redesigned chain guide.

Way back in 2012 I replaced my guide when I first read about the problem (I have an NP), and the new guide looked a bit different to the one I removed.

As I am about to do a valve clearance adjustment, I strolled into the local MM dealer the other day and asked for a new top timing chain guide as I thought I’d put a new one on while I had the cover off – just like the Irishman – “to be sure to be sure”. To my amazement, the $24 part I purchased in 2012 now sports a price of $61.72 !! I told the spare parts guy he was nuts and he said “No, they skyrocketed the price of those things a while ago now.” Talk about a bloody rip off.

Anyway, I suppose if it a small price to pay compared with a complete engine rebuild.

Geoff
                          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• explorin
                            • Jan 2017
                            • Victoria

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                            I don’t know it the top timing chain guide on the Gen 3 and 4 are the same – they probably are, however the original guide that was failing on the Gen 3’s was replaced with a new guide with a completely new part number – the number now is “1140A026”.

If the later models don’t have the problem, it is probably because they came out of the factory with the redesigned chain guide.

Way back in 2012 I replaced my guide when I first read about the problem (I have an NP), and the new guide looked a bit different to the one I removed.

As I am about to do a valve clearance adjustment, I strolled into the local MM dealer the other day and asked for a new top timing chain guide as I thought I’d put a new one on while I had the cover off – just like the Irishman – “to be sure to be sure”. To my amazement, the $24 part I purchased in 2012 now sports a price of $61.72 !! I told the spare parts guy he was nuts and he said “No, they skyrocketed the price of those things a while ago now.” Talk about a bloody rip off.

Anyway, I suppose if it a small price to pay compared with a complete engine rebuild.

Geoff

Hey Geoff,

that was kind of what i was trying to get accross.

It doesn't have to be replaced, nor am i suggesting they fail, its just a lot of effort to get under the rocker cover so why not replace it!

even at the new price it is still worth it i reckon.

If i did tappets on any vehicle with a top guide, i'd still remove it and at the very least inspect it, regardless if its known to fail or not. sometimes, things just fail.

Comment

• basil
                              • Apr 2012
                              • Gembrook

That is amazing Geoff.

I was in there about a year ago, and just asked the question about the guides being an issue, as mine was perfect still at 180,000, and his reply was " here ya go, have one on the house and you may as well have a tensioner in case you ever have an issue, but you shouldn't". We have given hundreds of these away.

My how things have changed.

Cheers,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X