• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NT GLS
    • Oct 2009
    • Perth

Driveline backlash

My Pajero has developed an awful backlash from the driveline. It's very noticable when driving at 60km/h and 80km/h while coasting, then reapplying throttle. The whole vehicle thumps and makes a banging noise. There is also noticeable diff whine at 60km/h at light cruise.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems? Mines and auto with 77k on it. I'm reporting it to Mitsubishi on Friday to see what the diagnosis and proposed remedy is.
    09/09 NT GLS DiD Automatic in Ironbark - Sold
    2015 Ford Territory Titanium diesel RWD
    2012 Ford Ranger PX XL 3.2 Auto
  • achjimmy
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by NT GLS View Post
    My Pajero has developed an awful backlash from the driveline. It's very noticable when driving at 60km/h and 80km/h while coasting, then reapplying throttle. The whole vehicle thumps and makes a banging noise. There is also noticeable diff whine at 60km/h at light cruise.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems? Mines and auto with 77k on it. I'm reporting it to Mitsubishi on Friday to see what the diagnosis and proposed remedy is.
    I have never been happy with the amount of backlash mine exhibits from new. Ofcourse it is within specifications so nothing is done. Sounds like yours is a little more serious and hope they find something and sort it.
    Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
    MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
    99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• NT GLS
      • Oct 2009
      • Perth

I will ask the dealer to provide me with the specifications if it is 'within specifications'. Further to that they will need to provide me with the measurements they have recorded. I am willing to have this matter pursued by my lawyer if I do not receive a satisfactory result.

Mitsubishi's advertised warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Hence my recent purchase of a diesel Territory.

Comment

• alan4106au
        • Sep 2010
        • Dandenong Victoria

[QUOTE=NT GLS;182584]My Pajero has developed an awful backlash from the driveline. It's very noticable when driving at 60km/h and 80km/h while coasting, then reapplying throttle. The whole vehicle thumps and makes a banging noise. There is also noticeable diff whine at 60km/h at light cruise.

You don?t say how long or when the backlash developed!
        Is the whine from the rear ?front- center? Surely you would not have driven any real distance with the problem you have stated without having it checked out! That wouldn?t give your solicitor a lot to go on if you knew you had a problem and kept on driving it.
        Have you checked that drive shafts are attached firmly (no loose bolts) to the drive flanges?
        Has your Chip it over loaded the drive train?
        What you have described is just what happens when a pinion nut comes loose. And if this happens and is driven it can cause differential failure.
        Is your Diff lock a factory unit?
        You need to have it diagnosed before you waste/or consider spending money on a lawyer.
        [QUOTE=NT GLS;182584]
        Mitsubishi's advertised warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Hence my recent purchase of a diesel Territory.
        You might need more than a good warranty from Ford if you have electrical problems with your new Ford engine! Unless you know a good Range Rover Diagnostic mechanic?
        Mitsubishi may be slow with warranty problems although given a chance are better than most!
        Alan

Comment

• NT GLS
          • Oct 2009
          • Perth

[QUOTE=alan4106au;182626][QUOTE=NT GLS;182584]My Pajero has developed an awful backlash from the driveline. It's very noticable when driving at 60km/h and 80km/h while coasting, then reapplying throttle. The whole vehicle thumps and makes a banging noise. There is also noticeable diff whine at 60km/h at light cruise.

You don’t say how long or when the backlash developed!
          Is the whine from the rear –front- center? Surely you would not have driven any real distance with the problem you have stated without having it checked out! That wouldn’t give your solicitor a lot to go on if you knew you had a problem and kept on driving it.
          Have you checked that drive shafts are attached firmly (no loose bolts) to the drive flanges?
          Has your Chip it over loaded the drive train?
          What you have described is just what happens when a pinion nut comes loose. And if this happens and is driven it can cause differential failure.
          Is your Diff lock a factory unit?
          You need to have it diagnosed before you waste/or consider spending money on a lawyer.
          You might need more than a good warranty from Ford if you have electrical problems with your new Ford engine! Unless you know a good Range Rover Diagnostic mechanic?
          Mitsubishi may be slow with warranty problems although given a chance are better than most!
          Alan
          That's correct, I don't say how long the problem has occured for. I was asking if others are experiencing problems with driveline backlash. I have plenty of information to proceed with including a previous visit reporting the problem at 40k. When I reported it then it was deemed acceptable. At almost 80,000km the problem is still there although it is getting worse. It's going to Mitsubishi on Friday to have them take a second look at it. My experience with the dealership I have delt with is they are not interested in warranty claims.

Perhaps other dealers may take a different approach. I am preparing myself for a 'it's within specification'. Who knows, I may be pleasantly suprised and it will be repaired, no questions asked.
          Last edited by NT GLS; 27-11-11, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• Jondalar
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2011
            • Brisbane

Mine has some backlash too, it's got 25K on it and is 9mths old. It's shown this when cold only so far, I find it's worse to try to drive with very light throttle at around 80 when cold, usually I can avoid the thump if I coast then apply throttle rather than try to cruise along very gently applying throttle, strange I know. It's not bad enough to worry about so far for me, only happens every couple of weeks.

Cheers,
            Karl
            Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

• NT GLS
              • Oct 2009
              • Perth

True to form the dealership was at first completely dismissive of my concern pertaining to the driveline backlash.

A quick test drive with the workshop foreman established his demeanour and determination to pass this off as 'usual' driveline backlash.

A letter to the dealer principle, service manager and MMAL customer service caused a change in tact from the dealership. The dealership under instruction from MMAL are investigating my concern further.

Comment

• Traveller43
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2011
                • Perth, WA

A letter to the dealer principle, service manager and MMAL customer service caused a change in tact from the dealership. The dealership under instruction from MMAL are investigating my concern further.
                Well at least it is nice to see MMAL acting appropriately and treating the issue with the required level of attention and getting some action from the dealer. Maybe that warranty is useful after all.
                Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• NT GLS
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Perth

True to form the dealership was at first completely dismissive of my concern pertaining to the driveline backlash.

A quick test drive with the workshop foreman established his demeanour and determination to pass this off as 'usual' driveline backlash.

A correction and update.

The dealer did not investigate my complaint further under instruction from MMAL. The dealer advised me MMAL would not pay for my complaint to be investigated further. Thus, I instructed the service adviser and service manager I would pay for the driveline backlash to be measured and reported to me. $330 and two days later the service manager called me to say they had test driven my Pajero for two days and could not fault it. The driveline backlash was "no different to other Pajero's they've driven". The dealership confirmed they did not measure the backlash as per my instructions to them. This was in December 2011.

Fast forward to Tuesday this week. The backlash is getting worse and my mechanic is concerned the bearing in the diff will let go. 84k on the odo. I took the Paj to another dealer in Perth as recommended by my regular mechanic. So I went for a test drive with the workshop foreman and explained my concern regarding the driveline backlash and the previous manner in which the other dealer dealt with it. The foreman made it patently clear I should not have been charged for the work carried out. That's what warranty is for. He asked if I could leave the Paj with them for a few days. I called them on Thursday to get an update. They've told me the backlash in the diff is not within specification (they measured it) and have removed the diff to have it rebuilt. The service advisor apologised my Paj would not be ready before the end of the week. I told them not to worry, and thanked them for addressing my concern.

So, I look forward to getting my Paj back next week, with a rebuilt diff. I look forward to dealing with the selling dealer too. I'll be demanding my $330 back. An apology on bended-knee won't go astray - although I doubt I'll get that.

Comment

• achjimmy
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • Blue Mtns

Good result, I hope you get the other dealer what a grub.
                    Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                    MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                    99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• Uncle Fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Boambee East NSW

So what was the actual fault that they have found in your diff?
                      NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• NT GLS
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                        So what was the actual fault that they have found in your diff?
                        Bearing failure of some sort causing excessive backlash. I'll confirm when I pickup the Paj this week.

Comment

• NT GLS
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Perth

Picked up the Paj yesterday. Driveline backlash gone. Apparently the bearings were ok but backlash was out of specification. Unfortunately the inner LHS driveshaft boot has been damaged when the driveshaft was reinstalled, spraying grease under the body. Guess it will go back to get that repaired/replaced, along with a transfer case seal which is weeping.

Comment

• 74HJLS
                            • Mar 2011
                            • Yeppoon Qld

Don't you just hate it when it goes in to a "professional" for repairs, and it comes back with something else damaged.
                            Cheers,
                            Pete..

White 09 NT DI-D Auto GLS, MM Tow bar, Light Force 170s, Dual Batteries Ctek kit with Piranah tray, ARB Fridge, Uniden UH7760nb UHF Radio, Kenwood DNN9350BT head unit, Roo Systems Awning, Smart Bar, Mako TDS 9.5 winch, Bushskinz bash plates, Airtech Snorkel and HD Lovells/Bilstein 2" lift kit, 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson STZs.

Comment

• NT GLS
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by 74HJLS View Post
                              Don't you just hate it when it goes in to a "professional" for repairs, and it comes back with something else damaged.
                              I'll say, the second dealer has been good in getting the diff repaired. As such, I will genuinely afford them leniency in getting this rectified. It was most likely an accident. It goes back Wednesday to have the transfer case seal replaced, I'll asks them to repair/replace the CV boot and seal.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X