Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

A friend had a baptism of fire with his Foxing on its first outing.
It was a perfectly calm day so the awning hadn't been sucured fully.

Then a whirly wind came through and tore it to pieces in an instant. Unimpressed he was . . . . and I haven't seen him use it since.

Nice bit of kit so long as you are aware of its vulnerabilities and take precautions. Same can be said of any awning I guess.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

This is about the most realistic i've seen for what your asking for.

Leg is there easy enough if the winds blowing & it'll be easy enough to erect & put away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saBW4FTfTGA

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:53 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I dont know anyone who can predict when a sudden gust of wind will hit. Some of the canopies take less than a minute to pull out and so what if it takes 2 more minutes to secure it with a leg? No one is in that much of hurry during a roadside stop..

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The arguablly time consuming element in putting out and securing the awning is hammering the pegs in. What I've done for a quick stop when a complete setup is not required and for low risk of wind, is to run the support ropes back to the spokes on the wheels for 3 of the 4 poles.

Any 3/4 awning which is self supporting and safe from anything beyond a zephyr is going to be much heavier than simpler awnings. I (and most others IMHO) am close to GVM as it is and need to be careful of extra kilos.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Thanks for all the personal opinions (especially your dicko) but that's not really what I'm after. So no one has one on their car or seen one in use?

Now pending: Nothing
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I have a Darche 270. The hinges and spars are pretty heavy duty, but as others have said, you never know when you might get a big gust of wind. I haven't been game to use it without dropping the legs and attaching some ropes. I suspect what you are looking for doesn't exist, unless you go for one of the very heavy units (which come with a heavy price tag to match).

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Definitely possible (although I would be putting poles down in the below example);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhF0cd_1ZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QK9c0KCIqY

Looks like I'll be shelling some money out.

Now pending: Nothing