Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default diff clunk

Hi all.
I hope some one might be able to help with some questions i have and advice on a diff clunk i have in my 08 pajero VRX. When you back off the trottle and accelerate again there is a clunk coming from the diff. I have tightened the left hand drive shaft which was loose but it still persists although not as bad. Tailshaft seems fine as do drive shafts. when the car is stationary with your foot on the brake going from reverse to drive the drive shaft loads up the diff then it seems to skip around a further 10mm or so but doesent do it going from drive to reverse so only in one direction. Iv'e drained the oil which was a bit dirty but onlt dust on the plug magnet, no chunks. There doesn't seem to be much backlash in the crown and pinion which makes me think i might have bad spider gears. I have been thinkin of putting a later model locker in but not sure how much is involved in wiring one up or if plugs/wiring is already there as they were an option on the NS. Any advice would be great.

Cheers, John
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Ive heard the diff bushes cause the clunk too. If you've tighten the axle nut and it still clunks, have a look at changing the diff bushes

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks Tonee.

I have checked the bushes which are not great bit still attached.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Mine did that too, seems quite common, 80k later still clunks and zero issues. I would do bushes anyways. but there will some clunking and it will be noticeable at it is no longer a framed vehicle.

any noise on the highway?

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I have had a clunk in mine for quite some time, since I've had it I think purchased second hand, thought initially was the the axle nut being loose like others have sometimes described on here, which I attended to but made didn't make any difference and already was tight.

Had a mechanic look at it up on the hoist and he stated it was most likely the diff bushes and showed me where he said the bushes were cracked. From memory I think the mechanic said the short wheel base models were more susceptible to the diff bushes wearing.
So I had him replace the two that run in direction of the car and then the two across I believe, the clunk is now less severe but still there is a clunk.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.