• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Montydog
    • Oct 2018
    • Cairns

NS Paj Antenna DAB+ or Analogue

Hello Pajero World.
    I'm at the end of my tether and this problem is not related to the DPF which is a story for another day grrrrr.

I recently purchased an aftermarket Entertainment System from an Ebay supplier Kunfine. I chose this system based on experiences and advice from a forum within this group on the bias that it was plug and play and a relatively painless process. I would actually agree with that statement - however....

I can't for the life of me get a radio station or even static on AM or FM.

Now I've been going backwards and forwards with the seller and they even sent me the op system to try a re-install which didn't make any difference.

Now my question to the guys and gals in the know is..

Does the NS Pajero have a newer DAB+ Antenna or the traditional Analogue type?

Being an 07 NS the penny dropped that this could be the problem but it could be a bit of a fools arrand.

Greatly appreciate any help out there.

Montydog
    07 NS VRX Pajero - Does replacing DPF twice count as mods? if not she's stock.
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

I believe a normal FM antenna will work with DAB as long as there is decent DAB signal.
    However the general performance of the factory fitted antenna of the NS pajero is poor just with normal analogue FM. The antenna is in the rear passenger window.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Antenna would be just for analogue AM/FM, after all there is no way an '07 Pajero would have had DAB+ back in the day.

Now, I assume NS has the antenna in the back window (passenger side?)
      (At least my NW has)

If so then it likely has an amplifier to boost the signal. Behind the radio, in the coax lead with the antenna plug on it, there would be a power wire going into a black (silver?) blob on the lead. This is the amp and it needs a 12V feed.

Check all that 1st.

Saying all that, you SHOULD be getting static on AM for sure (assuming it's not spending its whole time seeking a station)

If not unit is likely faulty.
      Also check it's set for the 9kHz channel spacing if it has such a config setting, not whatever some other countries use (US use 10kHz I think)

FM settings are also different in other countries too.

Oh, you did remember to plug the antenna lead in right ?
      (Been there, done that)
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

NS defo no DAB+ antenna (due to age) and the antenna it is located on rear passenger side window....looks like a heating element. It does have an inline amp and the wire for the amp should be near the antenna plug behing the stereo. It follows the same route as antenna wire. It is a single pink wire going in plug D209.

The pics below show the wiring of antenna along with amp wire that goes to plug D107 behind the stereo before getting to plug D209, which plugs into the unit.

Know I answered when you posted in my thread but thinking out loud as keithyv mentions...................Is there a setting in the system menu of the unit to change radio to differing regions?? There is something in my memory of changing this in the unit when I installed mine but not 100%
        Attached Files
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Hey bud did a little bit of googling to try help.

There is a setting in the menu to change radio region. You have to enter a pin code to get to this extra setting, I'm sure the pin was either 1234 or 0000 or something simple on my unit.

Anyway type in this below to google, search and have a look at videos that come up.

kunfine android radio settings

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• davwal
            • Jan 2019
            • Ringwood

The antenna is active, as in needs power, not sure what the OEM unit feeds the pink line with though.

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

The pink wire is the power wire for the antenna amp.

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Montydog
                • Oct 2018
                • Cairns

Thanks everyone for your help on this matter. I've packaged the stereo back up and am now going through the painful process of returning, hopefully I can get my money back.

So quick rundown of what I've tried and what I think the problem was...

Firstly "aussieintas" you are correct, there is a setting in the unit that you can select the region or country that you are in for radio setup. Code was "126" mate. Australia was an option which I tried on numerous occasions in fact I tried every bloody country a number of times.

I think Keithyv was onto something with the 9khz channel spacing, I couldn't find any where in the system that I could manually specify this and I noticed that the pre-sets for Australia were exactly the same as America so my conclusion is that this is a coding error at last firmware update which the developer has not picked up on as yet, last update was Dec18.

I also tried an after market DAB antenna which I connected into the existing pink wire for power. Didn't make any difference but works well with my original stereo which is back in the wagon.

The lesson here for me is there is a wealth of knowledge and experience within this club but it's important to read all the way to the end of the thread to ensure no potential problems are flag at later dates.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers Montydog
                07 NS VRX Pajero - Does replacing DPF twice count as mods? if not she's stock.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X