• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WHID
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

The 'Right' & 'Proper' Snatch Strap

Hi all,

Being brand new at this (4WD) caper, I have yet another question, the answer of which will help me along my way. You might tire of me one day, so I have to get them in quickly.

I want to purchase a snatch strap - a 'proper' one - to suit my Pajero Sport. GVM 2,710kg; GCM 5,400kg.

On the Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria's website, there are details of a snatch strap comparison. This comparison is now 4 1/2 years old and the information/data therein may not be valid in today's marketplace.

Is anyone aware of a more recent comparison, or in the absence of such comparison, what would be a 'proper' strap to consider purchasing? There's plenty on offer, but what is 'proper'?

It was interesting to note in the above mentioned comparison, products one might expect to be 'the real deal', were, in reality, not.

Thank you again . . .
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

I assume you have read this test report;

For a Pajero Sport an 8,000kg rated strap is more than adequate, do not be tempted into thinking a higher rated strap is better for your application.

It highlights that the cheap sub $50 snatch straps are sub standard, dangerous and can cause vehicle damage and or personal injury.
    ARB was the most highly rated and cost around $100.
    You will also need a bridle strap and 2x 3.25T SWL shackles for the bridle strap and a 4.75T SWL shackle for the one other end of the strap. Soft rope shackles are lighter and safer to use but they do not last as long.
    A snatch recovery requires another vehicle and if they do the recovery incorrectly damage to the vehicle can easily be done and potentially fatal injuries to persons so be cautious accepting assistance from others unless you are comfortable with their attitude and presentation. Chances are the Cowboy is a lifted V8 powered 4wd will drive off at a speed way in excess of what is required just to prove how good his 4wd is.

A set of Maxtrax or Tred Pro are a far safer and more useful recovery tool as you do not need another vehicle but can be use inconjunction with a snatch strap if you need to resort to a snatch recovery. Off road etiquette is to use your own snatch strap if you are being recovered but I would also use my own gear if Inwas doing the recovery and if I considered the other persons gear to be sub standard.

Since you are new to this 4wd stuff, it is best to do an accredited driver training course as a minimum but also joining a 4wd club that has similar stock recreational 4wds as member vehicle rather than heavily modified Patrols or Landcruisers, is a great idea so you can learn correctly in a safe responsible environment.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Here is an update from the same reporters out of interest

We retest the losers from our previous snatch strap comparison – have they learnt a thing or two about building quality snatch straps yet?Read our initial sn...

Over the years i've used snatch strap for many things it probably wasn't designed for

You'll struggle to ever break 8 tonne one with your 4wd that doesnt have already broken stitching, frayed from some agressive misadventures etc, unless you brought it from Silly Solly's or something.

Might break your car though, fair chance if it doesnt have any give/ stretch & far too over rated and or you take a solid run up & give it an almighty pull!!

Bit like tying to something solid with a chain & driving off, not a great outcome
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• WHID
        • Oct 2019
        • Melbourne

Thanks OJ . . . again.

You've covered what I asked and much, much more. Thank you.

Tha comparison, to which you provided a link, is the one I referenced. Given it is 4 1/2 years old now, I thought it may be possible that the data is outdated. e.g. A number of (well known) companies' offerings which were tested did not come up very well. It is possible that they took the advice of the testers and upped their games in that area. Just sayin'. Others, attempting to widen their margins, may have regressed in respect of those particular products - who knows?

I have joined the P4WDCV and am currently paid up and booked on its next introductory 4WD course. So, right now, I am looking to have myself and my car properly equipped for that. Have acquired a 12V compressor, tyre deflator, a set of MaxTrax and have had a pair of front recovery points fitted in recent days. I'm 'getting there'.

I'm having a little giggle at myself in all this as I am doing what most boys do at 30 . . . I'm 70 and I reckon I have 10 (active) years left in me and want to make the most of it.

Thanks Jack, I hope to bump into you on the track one day . . . probably in your part of the world.

Cheers . . .
        Last edited by WHID; 10-12-19, 06:22 AM.
        Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• WHID
          • Oct 2019
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
          Here is an update from the same reporters out of interest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5BLPdbhW8
          Fantastic Jason,

Just what i was hoping for - some testing that was a little more current.

You posted as I was making a response to OJ.

It would appear that I now have a number of products from which to choose and should be reasonably confident as to quality. Whoopee! In matters such as this, I think it important to get it right.

Thanks again . . .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X