• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Voltage across an isolation switch

I have a 500A isolation switch ( https://www.sherpa4x4.com.au/collect...olation-switch ) sitting between the positive cable from the solenoid box of my winch and the positive terminal of the battery. The winch works fine. Now say the Paj ignition is off and the winch controller is not connected. When I turn the isolation switch to the ON (closed) position there is 0 volts across the two terminals of the isolation switch. When I turn the isolation switch to the OFF (open) position there is 0.06 volts across the two terminals of the isolation switch. Is it normal to have any volts across an open isolation switch?
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

It is quite feasible to read some voltage across open contacts when using a high impedance multimeter, even though you haven't got any load intentionally connected to the circuit.

The leakage of low voltage cables and connections will have a reasonably high resistance (lets say 2 Gig ohms) and the multimeter might have a high resistance of (say) 10 Meg ohms.

Simple voltage divider theory says the meter would read 59.7mV when the switch contacts are open. Just as you have seen with your measurement.

You can demonstrate what the leakage path does to your meter reading by touching one of the load connections of the circuit while also touching the body of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Kingbrown; 20-01-17, 01:27 PM. Reason: Added paragraph
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

Thanks for this, reassuring
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X