Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Retro-fitting steering wheel controls to a GL..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gingerbread Man
    • Sep 2016
    • Coffs Harbour

I emailed Amayama for a price on the harness and steering wheel phone controls. They replied saying that the codes given (sourced from this thread) were "classified as 'Export Only' and are not available through Amayama. This means that these items are for a non-Japanese market version of your vehicle or for a vehicle that was not built in Japan. We are unable to supply these parts as stocks of it are not kept in Japan.
    These parts will need to be sourced from your local Mitsubishi Dealer/Parts Centre."

Any ideas, as I still want the parts ideally, but figure that main dealer prices would be horrific.

Comment

• noddy.r
      • Jan 2013
      • perth

Thats strange! i placed a order with amayama at the end of november and had no problems,items were in stock but had to come from URA (dubahi) then to sydney then on to me in perth took about 2 weeks, all good finally got to fit them yesterday took less than an hour.
      I have a dig options aftermarket head unit/gps fitted, with the phone controls the left button with the speak symbol mutes the radio but for obvious reasons you can't use voice commands like the factory phone set up. With the middle button, the pick up button you can answer a incoming call or press it once your phone contact list comes up on the screen, press again recent calls list comes up, press again and it will redial your last number called. The right button the hang up button does just that hangs up,
      very happy with the way it all works and thanks to the guy's on this forum for posting part numbers and pictures on how to do it. That made the instillation so easy.
      Merry Christmas to all and have ahappy and safe new year.
      2010 NT GLX DID AUTO - arb bull bar,warn winch, 275x65x17 bfg a/t,
      2" ome lift, 81L lra aux tank, air tech snorkel, egr mod, 50L waeco, uniden uhf, intervolt dual battery system and lots of other goodies

Comment

• Gingerbread Man
        • Sep 2016
        • Coffs Harbour

Any chance I can confirm part numbers with you?

I asked for, and maybe I'm wrong -
        Mitsubishi 4400A465 Mitsubishi 4400A465 - WIRE - 13.77 AUD (1 items)
        Mitsubishi 8750A060 Mitsubishi 8750A060 - SWITCH - 73.80 AUD (1 items)

Comment

• noddy.r
          • Jan 2013
          • perth

Merry christmas ginger, just confirming those part numbers ar correct i ordered mine on the australian web site of amayana (sydney branch) just punch the part numbers in and it should come up with availabilty, location and price.
          Don't forget you need the screws to attatch the phone switch part number 4400A522 X 2

cheers noddy.r
          2" ome lift, 81L lra aux tank, air tech snorkel, egr mod, 50L waeco, uniden uhf, intervolt dual battery system and lots of other goodies

Comment

• Gingerbread Man
            • Sep 2016
            • Coffs Harbour

Ahhh, maybe I had the none Aussie site. I'll retry.

Seemingly, my vin might not be on the site!? I have a 2009 VXR. Australia born and bred that I know of! Anyhow using the website here - https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-c...subishi/pajero

My vin is V98W. Seemingly not there, maybe the source of my troubles!? I'll do more research, maybe I'll have to source a vin that I can use for order, assuming all should be the same.

Thanks for the help so far.

Right, managed to order using the part numbers. Last time I entered in my vin somewhere along the ordering process, this time I didn't have to/ skipped that step and the order has gone through just fine. Thanks for the help. Still weird my VIN isn't on there!?
            Last edited by Gingerbread Man; 25-12-16, 08:35 PM. Reason: Now a happy bunny.

Comment

• noddy.r
              • Jan 2013
              • perth

no worries, keep us posted on how you went.

Comment

• hamish1970
                • Sep 2014
                • Leichhardt, Sydney

Originally posted by SpanishForWhat? View Post
                Finally got to this today.

First, the boring stuff:

Like all modifications and work on vehicles, you undertake this at your own risk and no responsibility can be laid upon myself or the Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria for any issues that occur as a result of this work being performed.

It should go without saying that if you are not confident in working near/with an airbag system, then you should not perform this work.

As per the Mitsubishi service manual:

Tools Required:
                10mm spanner - Battery negative terminal
                T30 Torx Driver - Airbag mounting bolts
                #2 PH Philips Driver - Switch pack screws
                A suitable tool/s for cutting plastic - hot knife, Dremel, file set, etc.

Remove the airbag as per instructions.

Remove the audio switch pack and the cruise control switch pack.

Attack this cutout with your tool of choice:

I used a hot knife as I don't currently own a Dremel. The edges aren't very neat, but the switch pack covers the edges so it's not critical - I did neaten the edges up a bit more than pictured!
                Best to cut on the inside of the line, as it doesn't need to be millimetre-perfect to fit correctly.

Best to make sure you've removed (or at least moved) the harness before you get too close to it with your cutting tool:

Remove and replace the harness with the new 4400A465 harness - note the two earth terminals - bottom left and top right:

Connect and install the three switch-packs - the handsfree switch pack requires 2x M4x24mm screws (M4x25mm are more common and work fine):

Refit the airbag, making sure to torque the bolts to 9Nm, and you're done.
                Hi Spanish,

After reading this thread I have accumulated the parts for this job. Started this morning but stumped on how to remove the airbag module. Have removed the two torx screws on the side but the unit is still firm within the wheel. Thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                  • Mar 2016
                  • Perth

The four large holes seen in the pictures of the frame are for metal clips - give it a firm, sharp pull and it should pop out.
                  '11 NT GL

Service Manual for Gen 4 Pajero

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

The four large holes seen in the pictures of the frame are for metal clips - give it a firm, sharp pull and it should pop out.
                    I've found the two screws get "caught" inside the cover, and catch inside the retaining hole on the back of the airbag. A couple of times I've had to poke around inside the hole in the back of the steering wheel to dislodge the screws before the airbag module will unclip.

in SFW's first pic you can see the passenger's side retaining screw sitting on an angle between the plastic housing and the aluminium casting - it was probably still "caught" on the back of the airbag, and dislodged when the airbag was removed.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• hamish1970
                      • Sep 2014
                      • Leichhardt, Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      I've found the two screws get "caught" inside the cover, and catch inside the retaining hole on the back of the airbag. A couple of times I've had to poke around inside the hole in the back of the steering wheel to dislodge the screws before the airbag module will unclip.

in SFW's first pic you can see the passenger's side retaining screw sitting on an angle between the plastic housing and the aluminium casting - it was probably still "caught" on the back of the airbag, and dislodged when the airbag was removed.
                      Hi NJ SWB and Spanish,

Thank you for the feedback, will give it a go. Just a bit a bit terrified as the unit still feels so firm. I removed the radio and cruise controls and can see the torx screws partially lodged. Wish me luck, will let you know how I go, car is rendered useless until I either get a fix or give up.

Cheers

Comment

• hamish1970
                        • Sep 2014
                        • Leichhardt, Sydney

Perfect thank you SFW, this is the bit of coaxing I needed to reef the module off without fear and it worked. Lost a torx screw for a while but got it back deep within the wheel assembly.

Good thread by all with good info, works a treat. Happy to keep MMCS for a while, upgraded speakers and tweeters already, found updated maps through the forum pages and an override kit from Japan for on the go operation.

Comment

• hamish1970
                          • Sep 2014
                          • Leichhardt, Sydney

So, installed into my NT and all seemed good. Voice commands are few and far between and the book is useless to understand what prompts work. Fun all the same talking to a robot to figure out what does and doesn't get a response. Maybe being 2009 the MMCS technology is lacking, we all seem to know that anyway, just trying to hang onto it for a bit, the BeatSonic system is tops. Phone call comes in, the answer button simply doesn't work. Not sure if the hang up works or not as I hit probably at the same time as my conversationalists.

Aaaarrrrrrrgggh

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                            • Mar 2016
                            • Perth

Originally posted by hamish1970 View Post
                            So, installed into my NT and all seemed good. Voice commands are few and far between and the book is useless to understand what prompts work. Fun all the same talking to a robot to figure out what does and doesn't get a response. Maybe being 2009 the MMCS technology is lacking, we all seem to know that anyway, just trying to hang onto it for a bit, the BeatSonic system is tops. Phone call comes in, the answer button simply doesn't work. Not sure if the hang up works or not as I hit probably at the same time as my conversationalists.

Aaaarrrrrrrgggh
                            I doubt there is anything wrong with the control buttons/wiring, but try the following to confirm operation - This test might not even work with MMCS as I have never encountered it, but it works my GL spec Radio/CD player:

Because the Audio buttons and Phone buttons each form a part of one resistor ladder on two common terminals, the Radio/CD player can only determine the which button has been pressed at the moment that the button is pressed: if a button is held down, it can only assume it is the button that it was last able to observe.

- Select a silent source on the head-unit, such as an auxiliary input with nothing connected, or an empty CD player
                            - Set the volume to minimum
                            - Hold the volume UP button on the steering wheel
                            - Once the volume setting is rising, hold one of the phone buttons down, and then release the volume button
                            - The volume setting should continue to rise, despite not pressing any audio buttons

No guarantee this behaviour will also occur with the MMCS system, but it's worth a shot.
                            I suspect the issue at hand is in fact, MMCS.
                            By the way, what is the BeatSonic system? Was this the predecessor to the Rockford Fosgate package?
                            '11 NT GL

Service Manual for Gen 4 Pajero

Comment

• hamish1970
                              • Sep 2014
                              • Leichhardt, Sydney

I doubt there is anything wrong with the control buttons/wiring, but try the following to confirm operation - This test might not even work with MMCS as I have never encountered it, but it works my GL spec Radio/CD player:

Because the Audio buttons and Phone buttons each form a part of one resistor ladder on two common terminals, the Radio/CD player can only determine the which button has been pressed at the moment that the button is pressed: if a button is held down, it can only assume it is the button that it was last able to observe.

- Select a silent source on the head-unit, such as an auxiliary input with nothing connected, or an empty CD player
                              - Set the volume to minimum
                              - Hold the volume UP button on the steering wheel
                              - Once the volume setting is rising, hold one of the phone buttons down, and then release the volume button
                              - The volume setting should continue to rise, despite not pressing any audio buttons

No guarantee this behaviour will also occur with the MMCS system, but it's worth a shot.
                              I suspect the issue at hand is in fact, MMCS.
                              By the way, what is the BeatSonic system? Was this the predecessor to the Rockford Fosgate package?
                              I'll give it a shot when I'm in the car next and give you feedback.

The BeatSonic is a bypass to allow full function on the move as opposed to shut down of basic commands after a few Ks and hour such as shifting through albums on the iPod where I'd be stuck listening to one album. This is most worthy when on a freeway and can't stop for long periods of time. Or entering a destination for the GPS. Wasn't expensive, but may end up leaning to an aftermarket head unit. This also should pump up the volume a bit as the MMCS is restricted.

Comment

• Gingerbread Man
                                • Sep 2016
                                • Coffs Harbour

Fitted the controls quite easily. I cut the necessary cut out with a sharp Stanley knife.

The phone controls don't actually work with my new Kenwood headunit though, so currently it's a wasted exercise!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X