Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Retro-fitting steering wheel controls to a GL..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tonymOz
    • May 2013
    • Perth

Hi Nick

There are two screws at the back of the steering wheel behind the cover plate where the radio controls would normally be. Remove these two screws and you'll see the harness there. All you need is the switch assembly and it plugs straight in. Best to order from Amayama - far cheaper than MM.

The telephone controls are not supported on the GL.

The GL audio control is an analogue system so no special harness required to connect to an aftermarket radio with self learning. Have a look at my thread here

on how to wire up the audio controls - this all depends on the brand of aftermarket unit you purchase.

Cheers

Tony
    2011 NT 3.2, ARB bar, UHF, roof bars, dual battery, Lovells / Bilstein 2" lift, 12000lb winch

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
      • Mar 2016
      • Perth

Originally posted by tonymOz View Post
      ...The telephone controls are not supported on the GL...
      Tony: Just wanting to clarify with you - are you saying that you have found the wiring harness for telephone controls is not present? Or are you simply stating that the phone system was never an option for GL models?

Nick's question got me wondering about the phone controls and a look at the service manual shows they are simply wired in parallel with the radio controls (every button still has a unique resistor value).

So even if the wiring isn't there, it could still be done - main issue would be having a connector to plug in to the button module.

Just thinking that if the harness is there and I can find a part number, then I wouldn't mind chucking the phone controls on as well!
      '11 NT GL

Service Manual for Gen 4 Pajero

Comment

• tonymOz
        • May 2013
        • Perth

The GL didn't come out with the phone connector and to be honest I didn't explore further. The harness for the volume and radio controls is there but I didn't check for the telephone controls. I'll have a look later for you.
        2011 NT 3.2, ARB bar, UHF, roof bars, dual battery, Lovells / Bilstein 2" lift, 12000lb winch

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
          • Mar 2016
          • Perth

Found some part numbers that might be of use to people

Cruise Control Button Pack (White illumination) 8602A006

Cruise Control Button Pack (Amber illumination) 8602A045

Radio Control Button Pack (White illumination) 8701A066

Radio Control Button Pack (Amber illumination) 8701A383

Phone Control Button Pack (White illumination) 8750A060

Phone Control Button Pack (Amber illumination) 8750A247

Screws (M4x24mm) for phone control button pack (2 required) 4400A522

I've found the following part numbers for the wiring harness for the controls.

4400A464 - Harness for Cruise and Radio, no Phone
          4400A465 - Harness for Cruise, Radio and Phone
          4400A288 - Unknown, likely superceded part number for 4400A464
          4400A289 - Unknown, likely superceded part number for 4400A465
          Last edited by SpanishForWhat?; 24-09-16, 12:07 AM. Reason: Updated harness part number information
          '11 NT GL

Comment

• Nicks Bailey
            • Sep 2016
            • Brisbane

Hi all
            Thanks for the replies, very good info. I am just waiting for the head unit and bezel to arrive, (found an android model with some pretty high processing specs). Hopefully I should have it in about a week or so.

1. Remove the steering wheel and confirm the existance of the audio and or phone harness. I am assuming that the audio will at least be there,

2. If there is no phone harness I will check the part numbers above with Mitsubishi and confirm and try and establish which may be required to make it work.

3. Depending on the result of the above I will order the audio controls from Amayama or buy a second hand wheel which has both audio and phone controls, ($180)

4. I will then install the head unit and hopefully all will work.

ALL RESULTS WILL BE POSTED.

Thanks
            Nick

Comment

• Nicks Bailey
              • Sep 2016
              • Brisbane

I found these pics which shows 2 harness's, the top one is the audio and cruise and the bottom one shows an extra connection for the phone controls.

You can see the part number as A465.

Still not sure on the differnence between the part number you guys listed for the harness's.

Thanks
              Nick
              Attached Files

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                • Mar 2016
                • Perth

Originally posted by Nicks Bailey View Post
                I found these pics which shows 2 harness's, the top one is the audio and cruise and the bottom one shows an extra connection for the phone controls.

You can see the part number as A465.

Still not sure on the differnence between the part number you guys listed for the harness's.

Thanks
                Nick
                Nice find!

That means the 4400A465 harness (the last one in my list) is the one required for the phone controls.
                The fact that a harness exists without the phone connector means that any GL Pajero will most likely not have the phone harness fitted.

You can confirm the radio control connector by removing the blank plate on the left, just two small screws on the back - no need to remove anything more.
                Based on the gathered information, I would be confident in saying that GL models will have the radio control harness ready, but will require the 4400A465 harness if adding the phone controls.

The phone controls are the only ones that require airbag removal to fit.
                You will also require the two mounting screws listed in the previous post.

Go teamwork.
                '11 NT GL

Comment

• Nicks Bailey
                  • Sep 2016
                  • Brisbane

Yep
                  All makes sense, it would mean removing the old harness and replacing with the new one which has the phone connector.

I also spotted a picture where I got that picture which showed the exact changing over with the addtion of the phone control panel on a GL model. It would seem that there is some difference in the steeering wheel as well because once installed there was a gap of about 3mm between the steerring wheel and the phone control panel.

My thoughts are to buy a second hand wheel with all the controls and pull the wi=ring loom out with the wheel, this would gaurantee the right controls with the right harness etc.

I have sourced a wheel with a harness for $220.

Will keep you informed.

Nick

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                    • Mar 2016
                    • Perth

It would seem that there is some difference in the steeering wheel as well because once installed there was a gap of about 3mm between the steerring wheel and the phone control panel.
                    Are you referring to the gap seen in this picture? This is a factory-fitted set.

Here's some photos I've taken of my steering wheel (NT GL).

Red: Fixture points for phone control pack
                    Yellow: Part number of existing harness without phone connector 4400A464
                    Green: 2x Earth connections for control harness
                    Blue: Connector that joins control harness to clock-spring. This is separate to the airbag and horn as they are hardwired to the clock-spring assembly.

The only issue I foresee is the lack of opening at the bottom for the phone control pack.
                    I suspect this line in the plastic is the required cutout (outlined in green).

I will update my previous post regarding harness part numbers.
                    Attached Files
                    '11 NT GL

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                      • Mar 2016
                      • Perth

Amayama have stated that the mounting screws are "Out of stock with an unknown delivery date".
                      They appear to be M4 x 24mm.
                      '11 NT GL

Comment

• Sam Pato
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Odie View Post
                        Can you please confirm for me Sam,

Is the part 8701A066 a 3 button unit phone control that sits below the steering wheel centre?
                        Only just saw this - so the response may not be relevant any more, however I can confirm that the part number provided is for the audio volume control buttons on the left of the steering wheel. NOT the phone buttons at the bottom of the steering wheel

Regards

Sam
                        Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                          • Mar 2016
                          • Perth

Finally got to this today.

First, the boring stuff:

Like all modifications and work on vehicles, you undertake this at your own risk and no responsibility can be laid upon myself or the Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria for any issues that occur as a result of this work being performed.

It should go without saying that if you are not confident in working near/with an airbag system, then you should not perform this work.

As per the Mitsubishi service manual:

DANGER:
                          After disconnecting the battery cable, wait 60 seconds or more before proceeding with the following work. In addition, insulate the negative battery terminal with a tape. The condenser inside the SRS-ECU is designed to retain enough voltage to deploy the air bag for a short time even after the battery has been disconnected, so serious injury may result from unintended air bag deployment if work is done on the SRS system immediately after the battery cables are disconnected.

Tools Required:
                          10mm spanner - Battery negative terminal
                          T30 Torx Driver - Airbag mounting bolts
                          #2 PH Philips Driver - Switch pack screws
                          A suitable tool/s for cutting plastic - hot knife, Dremel, file set, etc.

Remove the airbag as per instructions.

Remove the audio switch pack and the cruise control switch pack.

Attack this cutout with your tool of choice:

I used a hot knife as I don't currently own a Dremel. The edges aren't very neat, but the switch pack covers the edges so it's not critical - I did neaten the edges up a bit more than pictured!
                          Best to cut on the inside of the line, as it doesn't need to be millimetre-perfect to fit correctly.

Best to make sure you've removed (or at least moved) the harness before you get too close to it with your cutting tool:

Remove and replace the harness with the new 4400A465 harness - note the two earth terminals - bottom left and top right:

Connect and install the three switch-packs - the handsfree switch pack requires 2x M4x24mm screws (M4x25mm are more common and work fine):

Refit the airbag, making sure to torque the bolts to 9Nm, and you're done.
                          Attached Files
                          '11 NT GL

Comment

• Nicks Bailey
                            • Sep 2016
                            • Brisbane

Hi all
                            Lots of great info nnthis thread, I have installed the control on the NT and everyhting works fine.

Since then I have now added an aftermarket NAV system with self learning for the steering wheel controls.

The unit came with a canbus and should have been plug and play. I have been running around the houses trying to get this to work but no joy.

Does any-one no which of the wires on the OEM harness are for the steering wheel controls.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                              • Mar 2016
                              • Perth

Hi all
                              Lots of great info nnthis thread, I have installed the control on the NT and everyhting works fine.

Since then I have now added an aftermarket NAV system with self learning for the steering wheel controls.

The unit came with a canbus and should have been plug and play. I have been running around the houses trying to get this to work but no joy.

Does any-one no which of the wires on the OEM harness are for the steering wheel controls.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
                              Steering wheel audio remote control switch
                              '11 NT GL

Comment

• Gingerbread Man
                                • Sep 2016
                                • Coffs Harbour

I hope to start on the task of adding the phone buttons to my BT VRX soon.

I gather from reading that the more basic models don't have the required harness's redundantly sitting there. Would the VRX have it there do we know?

So, I think, but if someone who's pushed the button on this could confirm, I need the 'Phone Control Button Pack (White illumination) 8750A060 or (Amber illumination) 8750A247' and two M4 X 25mm screws. I also (most probably) need the 4400A465 wiring harness?

I hope to get this working with an also yet to fit, Android Auto head unit. While there I'm hoping to wire in a reversing camera too.

I'll probably have the whole car apart at this rate!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X