• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Is the head a week known brand, or the bolts at least? Just wondering if you're being over cautious ditching them. You could also try sourcing the bolts direct from a fastener shop, just taking in an old one. Some of those things can work out quite cheap when not buying "head bolts" but they are actually the same or better

Gee that head gasket sure isn't cheap!! I've never had an issue with an aftermarket one myself, but I've not done diesels.

If they sell this engine in anything sold in the US you could try rock auto. I know it's not in the Montero over there though

Comment

• Tomalophicon
      • Sep 2019
      • Canberra

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
      Is the head a week known brand, or the bolts at least? Just wondering if you're being over cautious ditching them. You could also try sourcing the bolts direct from a fastener shop, just taking in an old one. Some of those things can work out quite cheap when not buying "head bolts" but they are actually the same or better

Gee that head gasket sure isn't cheap!! I've never had an issue with an aftermarket one myself, but I've not done diesels.

If they sell this engine in anything sold in the US you could try rock auto. I know it's not in the Montero over there though
      Good points - I assume they are Chinese. Though that doesn't mean whole lot these days.

Comment

• Tomalophicon
        • Sep 2019
        • Canberra

Hi guys,

So the head has arrived and looks half decent.

The block is all scraped off all the residual gasket material.
        During that process, a few small bits of crud fell down into the water and oil holes.

I'm not overly worried about the coolant passages as i'll do a thorough flush.

However, how should I deal with the oil passages? I've vacuumed them thoroughly and will consider blowing them out with air.
        I will be draining the oil but is that enough? Should i remove the sump and or flush the holes with clean oil?

The debris was small and seemed to basically disintegrate when picked up.

Cheers for any help.

Tom.

Comment

• Tomalophicon
          • Sep 2019
          • Canberra

She's all back together and humming along. Thanks for all the help and advice offered here! It's been so helpful.

Some observations:

The amount of built up carbon, oil sludge and soot was unbelievable. Everything in the intake got a full clean and I have deleted the EGR altogether, and plumbed an EGT gauge into the exhaust manifold where I blanked it off with a mild steel plate. I also have a catch tank on order which I'm hoping will put an end to that problem altogether.

I have cranked up the boost using spacers on the wastegate actuator and it runs 13psi on the nose.
          I'm concerned that the EGTs are high though; even on a short run up a hill through the gears, it got to 650 without much trouble and would have exceeded that if I hadn't backed off. There isn't any black smoke though. I'm thinking of either turning down the fuel or adding a bit more boost (though I will get a boost controller for that).
          It feels like it's a different motor - it feels much more torquey and responsive and can tackle hills with fewer revs. The turbo and intake are noticeably louder now, with lots of nice sucking noises.

The flat spot I was experiencing around 2000 rpm has completely disappeared. Not sure if that was carbon and oil sludge, the EGR or a combo of things. I'm happy regardless.

All in all the job wasn't too difficult, the only thing I needed help with was lifting the head with intake and exhaust manifolds back on to the motor.

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Great to hear you've got it all sorted and happy with how it's running

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

Great work.

If it is any consolation my NJ 2.8L has provision in the exhaust manifold for EGR, but never had one fitted.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Tomalophicon
                • Sep 2019
                • Canberra

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                Great to hear you've got it all sorted and happy with how it's running
                Cheers mate.

Comment

• Tomalophicon
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Canberra

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                  Great work.

If it is any consolation my NJ 2.8L has provision in the exhaust manifold for EGR, but never had one fitted.
                  Thanks for your help.

I suspect the high EGTs are a contributor to the head going in the first place. I will return the wastegate actuator to stock and return the pump diaphragm to where it was and monitor again.

Could be shagged pump or injectors.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X