X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Won
    • Aug 2020
    • Highland Springs

I just did the shifter ball replacement and can't move the shifter. I tried pushing down first and no luck . Please help!

Comment

• marshy66
      • Jul 2021
      • perth

Originally posted by peter_au18 View Post
      Hi all I have just completed repairing the bushing on the Transfer Case Control Lever in a 1998 NL Pajero Auto. I guess this repair would be the same for all Gen 2 with super select/all trac.

I have compiled a "how I did it" for those contemplating this repair. I am not a mechanic, if you are going to do this repair please research the shop manual etc thoroughly.

You will need as a minimum:
      One bush: MD701605
      One small zip tie (to retie the top of the conical boot)
      Manufacturer reccomended sealant
      A hydraulic shop press or access to one (to remove the pin)do not hammer it out you will wreck it or the shaft))
      A 6MM pin punch (to drive the pin out using the press)
      Socket set
      Spanners
      Screw drivers
      Wire cutters

I have not included removing the centre console as I am sure that is covered elsewhere.

I placed the transfer control lever into 4H then proceded to remove the rubber boot: unplug the wiring harness on the RHS, two black clips (you need to do this to access the top and bottom right bolts). Undo the six bolts, lift the metal surround out, then lift up and fold back the rubber boot, you cannot pull it over the lever without tearing.
      Brilliant thanks just what i needed to fix mine

Comment

• Kaldek
        • May 2017
        • Melbourne

Alright guys,

So I undid the wrong bolts and one dropped into the case.

Yep.

Anyway, anyone reckon removing that side plate on the transfer case might allow me to find it without dropping the entire case? I can do either - it's not out of the realm of my skillset, I'm just trying to save time.

Comment

• Kaldek
          • May 2017
          • Melbourne

I got lucky folks, and a flexi magnet found the bolt! Got it out easy after that.

Comment

• ROBBIE J
            • Apr 2022
            • Redcliffe

Phew!!! You must be super relieved 😌👌

Comment

• Kaldek
              • May 2017
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by ROBBIE J View Post
              Phew!!! You must be super relieved 😌👌
              Hahah yeah. I didn't panic though - which says a lot about how far I've come with working on cars and bikes.

Comment

• Kaldek
                • May 2017
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by peter_au18 View Post
                Transfer case control lever continued.

Ok now the fun begins! pull the conical rubber boot up from the metal plate and as far above the spring as you can, on top you will see a circlip (photo 1), remove this (it will fly off be carefull) now everything will be loose. Degrease and clean everything at this stage.

You will need a press or access to a press at this stage, use the 6 mm pin punch and the press to remove the pin. do not use a hammer to attempt to drive the pin out!
                Having done this yesterday there is an even easier and quicker option - an air hammer. I used a cheap air hammer from Supercheap Auto with a pointed-end bit and drove it out in like three seconds. I did have to add a small punch to push it all the way through once the hammer bit bottomed out on the ball cage, but by that stage there was less power required to drive the pin out the rest of the way.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X