• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crocodile
    • Jul 2019
    • Gold Coast

Synchros snick on the change from first to second

Hello All.
    I have a 2005 3.8lt petrol with 5 sp manual, abt 200K.
    The change from 1 to 2 is just starting to make a snick, all other changes OK.
    It also needs a new clutch very soon, shudder.
    I have spoken to a reputable transmission repairer who said that to get the synchros repaired would be about $1500 - $2000.
    He suggested filling the trans with automatic trans fluid.
    I did that job today, very easy.
    Quite a lot of filings on the drain plug and some shiny sparklers in the bottom of the catch bucket, no tooth chips.
    I will keep you informed if there is an improvement in the gear change.
    I have done this ATF swap before in a Suzuki and that bought me another 8 years of smooth gear changes.
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Hi mate

These gearboxes are always a bit slow to go from 1st to 2nd – particularly on cold starts. Most of us on here recommend using a specific oil in them, Castrol VMX-M 75W-85, as well as adding a bottle of Nulon G70, which I do think makes a difference. My vehicle has done around 330,000km. now and I’ve been using this combination for most of its life, however if you’ve done some damage already you may not get away with just doing this.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• k100dennis
      • Dec 2015
      • Railton, Tasmania

Yep, try adding about 500 mls of atf to the gear oil. It should fix the change problem but keep the gearbox a bit quieter. Along the lines of Hendo's suggestion. I've done this a few times over the years, it seems to be more prevalent here in Tassie in the colder months.
      2004 NP Diesel, auto, GLS, white with silver trim. Kumho KL78 tyres, EGR system removed, upper rear lights connected, Rhino Rack Vortex RST, Engel MT60, Full River 120 AH AGM Deep Cycle, Enerdrive VSR, Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, HEMA HX-1, Airbag Man airbags, 2 stroke oil at 200:1.

Comment

• Crocodile
        • Jul 2019
        • Gold Coast

Thanks for the prompt replies,
        I will keep you informed.
        I have filled it 100% with ATF.
        Too soon to tell if it is going to make an improvement.

Comment

• twisted32
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

When good quality ( ie synthetic) and correct grade do not fix my gearbox issues, Redline lightweight shockproof always does. Better gear protection than trans fluid too...
          MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Crocodile
            • Jul 2019
            • Gold Coast

Hello All,
            ATF has made an improvement.
            The change from 1st to 2nd is now easier.
            I used Penrite ATF.
            This has confirmed for me that it is worth trying other chemical solutions before I spend the $$$$ on having the box reconditioned.
            I am planning to try the Castrol VMX-M 75W-85 + Nulon G70 experiment next.
            The Castrol website states that VMX-M was ma de for Mitsubishi transmissions.
            What's so special about Mits trans that they need their own oil I wonder?

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Crocodile View Post
              I am planning to try the Castrol VMX-M 75W-85 + Nulon G70 experiment next.
              The Castrol website states that VMX-M was ma de for Mitsubishi transmissions.
              What's so special about Mits trans that they need their own oil I wonder?
              Synchro design. The story I recall was that Mitsubishi sent a transmission to Castrol asking for a recommendation for which Castrol lubricant they should specify.

Castrol came up with a new blend.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• GHendo
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Northern NSW

Apparently the transmission is the same one that is in one of their light trucks - can't remember at the moment what the truck model is called - might be the Canter. While they are normally pretty smooth, first to second seems to always be the knotty change - hence the G70 etc. Cold weather is the worst but you get used to it after the first 10 years.

Geoff
                03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Crocodile
                  • Jul 2019
                  • Gold Coast

Hello All,
                  I swapped the ATF for Castrol Manual VMX-M 75w-85 yesterday.
                  Too soon to notice a difference.
                  I was surprised at how much the ATF had discoloured in two months.
                  It had turned a much darker red.
                  I will wait for a while before I add the Nulon.

Comment

• erad
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Cooma NSW

The transmission will be a V5M31. it is the same as used in the Canter trucks. I had this tranny in my NL Pajero as well, and t had a slight growl = noticeable at idle, especially when the system was warmed up. I kept complaining abut it and eventually MMA sent their Sydney rep out to see me, He listened to the tranny and said it was OK, but I persisted. Eventually he gave me a written warranty extension (12 months) on the transmission, that if the noise got worse, they would cover it under warranty, The noise never changed. I never had any shifting issues with the transmission though.

Comment

• Crocodile
                      • Jul 2019
                      • Gold Coast

Hello All,
                      After a few days using the Catsrol oil, the changes are noticeably better.
                      You still don't want to hurry too much, but normal driving is better than the ATF.
                      I have bought the Nulon G79.
                      I suspect that in the near future I will plenty of spare time to work on this project...….

Comment

• Crocodile
                        • Jul 2019
                        • Gold Coast

Hello All,
                        Today I added the Nulon G70.
                        Thanks to GHendo for the advice.
                        To me the change is smoother with the G70.
                        In summary the combination of Castrol Manual VMX-M 75w-85 and Nulon G70 has been a success.
                        I would rate the change as 8 out of 10 up from 4 out of 10.
                        I will not be spending the $$$$ for a trans recondition.
                        Thanks for your contributions.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X