• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeexEnigma
    • Feb 2020
    • Tasmania

NT Reversing Sensor System

First of all I apologise as this has been 'done' a bit. However, even after doing the research (of which quite a lot of good information was found on this very forum) I still can't pinpoint my exact issue.

In short;
    A little under two weeks ago I bought my 2010 plate NT GLX after having two Magnas beforehand. You could say I'm a little 'Big Kev' (R.I.P) excited!

When I inspected the vehicle I noticed the reversing sensors on the rear bumper bar, but they didn't operate in the test drive. No big deal I can do something about that later. However, the very day I picked it up I was reversing into a parking space at Coles and suddenly I'm greeted with the sweet sounds of a reversing sensor. Cut to last Saturday, knowing the batt needed replacing I've always been careful about starting it. However, a relative wasn't quite aware of the issue and we ended up having to push starting it, no issues. Except now the reversing beeper isn't sounding.

What I DO know:
    • The reversing sensor kit is a dealer fitted unit (from my understanding this is always the case on a GLX). I've figured this from the fact all the sensors are on the bumper and it's what I read on this forum to be common. A picture of the 'RPA Control Module' and 'ECU box' can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/2APUAWr.jpg
    • I get approx 11.3V on the RPA Control Module when the engine is off and reverse is selected.
    • I have played with the trailer socket flap. I may have done this at some point after buying and possibly before push starting it. I'm unsure. As I have read apparently these have reed switches in them. There's definitely two wires connected to the reed switches in my connector as I pulled it apart yesterday looking to clean contacts. However, the 'left' switch doesn't bridge to pin 3 as per the diagram here: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/s...9ksEA&usqp=CAc I also run a strong neodymium magnet (the kind you use for finding steel studs in walls) across the back of the flap when closed. Obviously there's no shorts inside the socket etc.
    • Despite the picture showing a lot of dust both units have clean and good connections to their respective connectors.
    • The buzzer itself is set to 'high' and I scrubbed the switch back and forth just in case it was something directly in that.
    • The car has a Redarc pro kit installed, which obviously may complicate something. Additionally, there's a red wire tied to pin 5 (I think) with the loom wire that connects there then this runs back (somewhere to the cabin).
    • Alongside the extra wire in the trailer socket I have noticed a couple of extra white wires bundled around the reversing sensor units (seen centre top of the photo I provided).

EDIT: I should have mentioned the battery has since been changed (it was on the cards for the day after anyway).

I'm wondering if there may be anyone who's had a bit of experience with these systems that can point me in the right direction. I'm not unfamiliar with cars and wiring so having to perform technical checks isn't an issue. I'm wondering if the issue might simply stem from the trailer socket and replacing that might completely fix the issue. It seems like a simple enough issue to resolve but I'm probably not seeing the whole picture.
    Last edited by DeexEnigma; 26-02-20, 05:17 PM.

Matched content

Collapse
Working...
X