Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 21-06-19

Default ABS Light

So on my knees all day trying to get a meaningful answer from the diagnostic plug re my ABS light.

I have an NJ 3500 and the ABS light has come on steady or to be more precise, comes on when ignition turned on, goes out during start then comes on steady and remains on.

Have done the fluid level, light bulb/fuse checks etc. all good. Before pulling bits off I thought I would do the diagnostic thing, so having both digital and analogue multimeters I tried various plug ports to see if I could get a code signal, not knowing which port is which doesn't help, the best I could come up with was a steady voltage reading on certain ports, not the long/short pulse that makes a code number; can anyone tell me which port is which on this plug ??

The thought has occurred to me that there is no fault to register and I need to look elsewhere, similarly maybe my analogue multimeter is not sensitive enough.

So any collective wisdom on this one ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paj Diag. Plug.jpg (57.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 21-06-19
Valued Member

Clean the wheel sensors - you may have some crap in the sensors. They unbolt and you can carefully remove them and see if there is some rubbish in the gap there. Also clean the slotted rotors for the ABS.

Probably not an issue with yours, but the ABS had its own separate relay on my NL attached to the positive lead at the battery. Maybe you are not getting voltage from this?
Old 21-06-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
Clean the wheel sensors - you may have some crap in the sensors. They unbolt and you can carefully remove them and see if there is some rubbish in the gap there. Also clean the slotted rotors for the ABS.

Probably not an issue with yours, but the ABS had its own separate relay on my NL attached to the positive lead at the battery. Maybe you are not getting voltage from this?
Thanks, relay is good; I'm really trying to get to grips with the diagnostics.
Old 24-07-19

Hi..I may be way off, but I had a similar issue intermittent first but more often in the wet... It turned out that as the alternator started to die, misterious diag lights started lighting up. (When in the wet I had a bigger load on the electrical system -lights, heater, wipers, etc)
Finally alternator died, has not happened since replacing it..
Old 25-07-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgonzbea View Post
Hi..I may be way off, but I had a similar issue intermittent first but more often in the wet... It turned out that as the alternator started to die, misterious diag lights started lighting up. (When in the wet I had a bigger load on the electrical system -lights, heater, wipers, etc)
Finally alternator died, has not happened since replacing it..
Thanks, alternator is good at 13.8v output, have removed and cleaned the wheel sensors, still got the problem. Me thinks electrical most probably.