• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

NL 3.5l engine removal help-top bolts

Hey guys. So its finally time to get the engine out of the car. I'm at the undoing bellhousing stage before lifting.

Having trouble with the 2 bolts right at the very top of the bellhousing. I can get ratchet onto the bolt etc, but its done up tight (of course) and need leverage to crack it. No room to get bit of pipe over ratchet handle because it jams on the firewall etc

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for those bolts-is there some way of accessing them over the bellhousing that I can't seem to work out, or some other way? What tools did you guys use to get these.

Starting to wonder if I need one of those rotating head breaker bars.

And yes, I've undone the clutch bearing thanks to plenty of heads up on here about the pull type clutches. Thought I would struggle with it, but after undoing the slave cylinder it took about 10s to get it separated

Also, while I'm here-wondering about reinstalling engine. Is it going to be too hard to do up those bolts at the rear if the engine top end is all back together? Is it simpler if I put intake etc back on once engine is back in, or cause no issues on reinstall and just put it all back together on the stand before install?

Would appreciate any help and tips you guys could give

Cheers, Stu
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

When I have had transmissions out to replace clutches in Tritons and Pajeros I have dropped the rear of the gearbox down as far as possible, then using a impact, or 6 sided socket (for more positive grip on bolt head), and a universal joint, then as many extensions as I can fit (at least 2 x 300mm, plus more if I have them), I can then put a breaker bar on the setup and lower down a little bit so as to get some swing.

Once the bolts are cracked I can generally get my hand up there to undo.

I tend to use this method to crack all the bolts above about 8 and 4 o'clock around the bellhousing. Crack them all one by one whilst having the multi extension in my hands then go back and finish undoing the loosened bolts by hand, or put ratchet on extensions.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

When my mechanic friend overhauled the engine in my NL, he was underneath the car and he undid all the bell housing bolts form there. I was amazed that he could do it that way. Sadly, I don't know what socket extensions he used though. As far as I know, he didn't drop the rear of the gearbox to do it.

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Thanks guys. I looked at dropping box rear last night but looks like the back end will only go down a few inches due to the fixed rear crossmember. This be enough Pharb?

Erad: I'll have another look from underneath and see if I can get them from underneath

Thanks for the help

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
          Thanks guys. I looked at dropping box rear last night but looks like the back end will only go down a few inches due to the fixed rear crossmember. This be enough Pharb?

Erad: I'll have another look from underneath and see if I can get them from underneath

Thanks for the help

Yes, dropped rear cross member. Actually remove bolts that secure cross member to chassis, leaving gearbox attached to crossmember.

My suggestion - drop rear of gearbox like this, then once bellhousing bolts removed can just jack back up and put a couple of bolts back in crossmember, leaving loose for when refitting engine.

Take note this may not be the most productive way for you, but is how I get access to bellhousing bolts.
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.

Comment

• stumagoo
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Perth WA S.O.R

I pulled mine in one piece box and engine together...... I guess I just do things the hard way - and messy transfer case oil goes everywhere
            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Cheers. What model are you doing this on? Rear gearbox cross member is not removable on mine

I managed to loosen all the bolts. Thought outside the square and with a spanner on the bolt I managed to put a long piece of wood on the spanner and hammer that to crack the bolts loose. Now I've just got to remove the bonnet, remove bolts all the way and lift her out

Any opinions on not putting the whole engine back together before installing?

Thanks for the help so far. I probably should have persisted longer before asking, just trying to save stuffing around to much

Comment

• stumagoo
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Perth WA S.O.R

mine was a 3.5 into a NL and a NJ.... but its a hell of a squeeze and you need to watch the upper intake on teh fire wall as you tip it in..... I broke the little valve to the purge cannister on my second run.

If you can work out a way to get at the bolts seperating them is by far an easier/better way
                1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2018
                  • Wollongong

Thanks Stu. I did ponder pulling box out with it, but one look at the size of the gearbox made me rethink that real fast!

My reply asking what model was actually to pharb, you replied while I was replying to him. I was just surprised that pharb mentioned removing the rear gearbox cross member as mine is fixed, not removable

Comment

• pharb
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                    Thanks Stu. I did ponder pulling box out with it, but one look at the size of the gearbox made me rethink that real fast!

My reply asking what model was actually to pharb, you replied while I was replying to him. I was just surprised that pharb mentioned removing the rear gearbox cross member as mine is fixed, not removable
                    I'll blame alziemhers.

Its coming back to me now. Disconnect center crossmember, dropping rear of gearbox only as far as thr fixed rear cross member was enough to get hand around top of bell housing, and get a fairly straight run on the socket extensions so as not to loose to much torque through angle of socket uni joint.
                    PCOV Member 1107.
                    Daily driver NX GLX

Comment

• stumagoo
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Perth WA S.O.R

That old timers disease gets us all ow and then..... I had to go look to make sure mine was not removable

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

I had to double check that I wasn't remembering it wrong and it was fixed!

Thanks Pharb. I've got them cracked now, but I might do that for reinstallation

Comment

• aussieguy
                          • Oct 2015
                          • Brisbane

This thread needs action pictures, or it didn't happen...
                          05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                          02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• gemster
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Gold Coast

I was told the easiest way, if you are pulling the motor is to Disconnect everything in the Engine Bay first . Gearbox mounts next .. Then the Engine Mounts so you can get a bit of forward movement on the whole lot and then you should be able to get at these bolts...
                            I haven't actually done it myself, but I have been advised by a Pajero Business Owner that that is the Best way...

Gemster...
                            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                            And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                            ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• disco stu
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Wollongong

Oooh-that's a good idea, thanks Gemster. I'm pretty sorted right now-engine and box are separated and should be lifting it all the way out tonight or tomorrow night. But I think for reinstallation that the method you mentioned will be very helpful. Thanks for that

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X