• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alister
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Enviro+ 5w40 vs Nulon 10w40 full synthetics

Oil change for my NT 2010 DiD no dpf is due soon. Can anyone give me a comparison between Penrite full syn Enviro+ 5W-40 and Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel 10w-40 full syn?

Haven't tried either, both are within specs, both should suffice. Which will make it smooth and happy? Not towing yet but intend to soon, will the slightly thicker Nulon be better for towing?

thanks
    alister
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Ive used Penrite exclusively on my NS Pajero, good quality oil in my opinion and Australian. You don't need the Enviro+ with non DPF vehicles bud.

I have also used Nulon oils in the past, again good product with no issues.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

I don't think anyone can give a comparison between oils unless you have a laboratory and then wait 10 years to analyse engine wear after that time.

Use whatever is the right spec for the car and sleep easy.
      Personally I've used Penrite quite a bit and never had a car blow up so it must be okay I suppose
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• dhula
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • South of Perth

Can't compare the two as I've not used either. I use an engine oil that most would probably balk at but it meets the needs so I'm happy.

IMO it doesn't get cold enough to use a 5w oil in Aus, unless you live above the snow line.
        So long as both meet the specs called up in the manual use the cheapest on the wallet and drive along blissfully happy.
        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Lost1
          • Dec 2013
          • Melbourne

When I first brought my ML Triton (same engine as Pajero) the previous owner was using 5W 30 FUCHS. This oil had an odd colouration compared to most diesel engine oils I had experienced. I guessed at the time that particular oil was not suited to a diesel engine as I believed it lacked the appropriate detergent properties. I changed the oil for Penrite Enviro+ 10W 40, hooked up a 16ft caravan and headed off for a week.

800k's later the new oil was black and sludgy. Confirming the detergent properties in the previous oil was quite poor. The oil was so bad I dropped that oil and changed the filter. It looked like I had just driven 20,000+k's between changes. 30,000k's and two oil changes later I have found the Penrite Enviro+ to be a good oil. The slightly thicker oil has reduced some of the usual diesel engine clatter and doesn't seem to become almost watery when working hard off road in low range. As one said it might be overkill, but I think your on the right track wanting the additional protection a full synthetic oil provides when operating under load.

I am with DHULA in thinking a 5W is a bit light for almost all Australian conditions, hence I prefer a 10W oil. Towing will put additional loads on all components in your drive line. You might want to consider changing to a synthetic oil for your gearbox and diffs as well.

I have used NULON synthetic oil in petrol motors and gearbox's to good effect as well, but not in hard working diesel's. This is for no particular reason, from memory Penrite was 30% off when I purchased engine oil for the ute. I have found NULON oils to be of good quality, so I don't believe you will lose out choosing either oil. Good luck.
          09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• alister
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Yes. I've been tossing up between a thinner fuel-saving oil that gets around a cold engine quickly and a thicker oil that can take the strain of working.

I towed once with a 5w30 that made the (petrol) car go zoom-zoom, but the oil got so hot it evaporated costing about a litre per couple of hundred kms. When I dumped it and replaced with Penrite 10w50 the problems stopped. I've been using Penrite ever since.

The last oil change was Penrite full syn 5w40, mainly because I wanted to try a full synthetic. I'm thinking slightly higher viscosity and a dedicated diesel oil might be better, hence Nulon Heavy Duty Diesel 10w40.

Comment

• gazza11
              • Aug 2017
              • Medowie NSW

I have an NT Pajero auto with DPF and have been using Castrol Magnatec full synthetic 5w40 Diesel DX oil for about 5 years. I rang Castrol and was a suitable oil to use, however I could have also used Magnatec 15w/40 semi synthetic. I went with the 5w/40 for the better cold start-cold weather protection and still have the heaver properties of the 40 grade when hot. It comes on special at Supercheap, about $80-$90 for 10L.
              NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• wilyum
                • Jul 2008
                • Canberra

G`day ,
                Don`t forget that low viscosity gives better flow but lower pressure and higher viscosity gives reduced flow and higher pressure . Be guided by your owner manual and stick to the engine manufacturer`s recommendation .
                Cheers,
                Wilyum
                Last edited by wilyum; 23-05-19, 11:14 AM. Reason: correction .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X