• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulF
    • Oct 2009
    • Mareeba

Clunk in front end

Hello All

I have an NS, which has developed an intermittent 'clunk' on the front drivers side. Acceleration/deceleration doesn't bring it on (so not a load thing), just occasionally can be heard through the normal articulation of the suspension. About six months ago, I had the front struts replaced and at the time, they said that the top strut mounts were not in great condition, but good enough - I am thinking perhaps they have finally reached the point of replacement!!!

However, before pulling struts out and replacing mounts, I would welcome any thoughts on whether this is likely to be the issue, or whether I should investigate elsewhere as well. I also replaced the upper and lower ball joints just after the new struts went in and an initial inspection of the bushes in the upper and lower control arms is not throwing up any obvious issues. I also replaced the sway bar tie rods at the same time.

Kind regards, Paul
  • kblof
    • Apr 2017
    • Radelaide

check all the bolts are tight underneath even the sway bars whilst the car is on the ground. Its a good habit apparently after work like this is done, i always forget :-)
    2011 NT Pajero| DID

Comment

• PaulF
      • Oct 2009
      • Mareeba

...thanks for the feedback.

I got the car up for an inspection over the weekend and it appears the noise is coming from the CV, where it joins the hub assembly. Everything else was tight (even removed the air box to check upper strut mounting bolts). There are no signs of damage to the CV and the boot is intact. Grabbing the CV shaft, there is some play be more more than the other side. Sway bar bushes are in good condition and bolts are tight. I think you can get a service kit for the wheel end of the CV, which replaces the bearings.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X