Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 30-04-19

Question 1994 3.0 v6 oil leak - front crankshaft seal?

I purchased an old Pajero from a retired mechanic who did the heads, and replaced the timing belt, cam seals, water pump etc.

Everything was sweet for two weeks, then noticed a big oil leak coming from the front of the engine. I also note that the oil he used was high viscosity (probably to reduce the likely hood of oil leaking when I inspected the car?)... see pic

I called him up to ask him about it, and he mentioned didn't do the crankshaft seal. I'd like to hear people's opinions judging from the photos.

If I am to replace the front camshaft oil seal, are there other parts I require? I have a backyard mech willing to work on her, I just need to make sure I have all the parts I need. He mentioned I will need the timing belt cover gasket. reading the forums it looks like this is a multitude of different little seals.

Advice and suggestions are much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57546398_313139592701752_6377371679680626688_n (1).jpg (87.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 30-04-19

Looks like it.

Replacing involves stripping down the front of the engine including the timing belt so you are going to find out what else was or wasnít done.

Consider a new harmonic balancer, bolt to the crank shaft and the crank and cam sensors - all are a major effort to change if they fail.

eBay and AliExpress for cheap parts. They are all Chinese who were still making Gen 2s until 2012 under license from Mitsubishi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-19
Valued Member

I'm a bit confused why a supposed professional would pull all that apart and replace every seal bar one. A lot of work for a cheap seal.

There are workshop manuals available with a bit of googling (might even be a link on the forums here somewhere) that might help with jobs like this. I find it a bit vague for some jobs though-there might be some particular way to remove a part, but the manual just says to remove it, not tell you how to do it. It will then go into great detail about how to do the rest of the task that is highly self explanatory! Still, worth having around
Old 01-05-19

Yes I couldn't believe it that he decided not to replace a cheap part when doing all the rest. When I called him up he felt really bad about not doing it ... but I also felt bad that he was heading off for cancer treatment and may not return from it.

I have found a pdf for the manual and the old fella I brought it from said he'd leave a workshop manual on his door step for me, I haven't made the trip because I have been too busy (45mins to his place).

The mechanic that is going to help me said I'll need timing belt cover gaskets and that is what I am finding trouble getting hold of at the moment, the front oil seal is easy to buy and in stock locally .... but have no idea about the timing belt cover seals from memory the workshop manual I had seen doesn't make mention of replacing the cover gasket?
Old 01-05-19

Yep PajeroNL,

I know there is a lot of work to do to get to it... also wondering if it was something not put back together properly and the oil coming from somewhere else?

:-/
Old 01-05-19
Valued Member

If it was a mistake then I can understand that. We all make them, and I've certainly made the wrong call not fixing things when I've got things apart. I guess in my mind I was getting the impression it was a rush job and was deliberately ignored, or he was screwing you around. Glad to hear I've got the wrong impression

I've not played with the 3l personally, but I was under the impression they were pretty similar to the 3.5l. If that is the case then the timing cover is all plastic, and the seal or gasket would just be some foam tape. The reason it would be hard to find if that is the case is because its not needed-no fluid needs to be kept in etc, its just a cover
Old 01-05-19

You can find workshop manuals for gen 2 Pajero on line. Alternatively PM with a link to drop box or similar and I will give you a couple

The timing cover seal isnít much of an issue and is really dust protection rather than a seal. And is no more than a rubber strip. You could use tape as mentioned. I fashioned a replacement using windscreen wiper rubber... You can probably buy somewhere buy to have found it.

As a general tip anything original made from rubber or plastic on a 20 year old car is at end of life is going to fail, so replace while you hav it apart. Fan belts, radiator hoses, seals, o-rings as examples.

Old 01-05-19

thanks, I'll try to get some foam tape from clark rubber or something. just not sure on the size I'd be looking for is all

And no worries I have a couple of links for the workshop manual ... thanks for the offer.

Wish me luck !!
Old 01-05-19

About 10mm wise

Old 01-05-19

Wide