• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Baofeng 5 Watt Handheld $60.00

Perusing through forums and came across a video review of this little gem of a radio.
    Little 5 Watt for $39.00 (Baofeng UV82) and programing lead for $12 ( ebay lead )
    Once programmed you get an 80 channel UHF with FM radio and works a treat. Need to test a bit more out in the bush for range but around the suburbs so far has been impressive.
    Heres the youtube review I first spotted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeJ2tzFeHPU&t=546s
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I've had one for a few years and have been very happy with it. Never tried out any long range communications but around the same area it is fine. No different to the other one I have which is a Uniden.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

128 channels. Are some of those on the ham radio bands?
      Chris

Comment

• pajeromack
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • NSW

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
        128 channels. Are some of those on the ham radio bands?
        Yes. It also does police, marine and emergency services bands.

These radios are not approved for use in Australia. There's a $10,000 fine for possession of a radio transmitter without relevant license, as per the Radiocommunications Act 1992.

That aside, these radios are not particularly good. From a technical perspective they have a wide open front end which leads to receiver desensitisation from nearby commercial channels, especially in metropolitan areas. I found performance to be worse than your average handheld CB radio.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X