X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RyanR
    • Sep 2018
    • Sydney

IanH wrote: [QUOTE]Try driving down the highway in 5th at say 90kph and look at your revs. The TC should be locked as standard. Then, as you come to the smallest of inclines, you'll feel as if the car drops back to 4th but it doesn't. It actually unlocks the TC and the revs go up from around 2000 to 2300 (give or take). That's the torque converter unlocking[QUOTE]

I noticed that, it's very clear.
    So if I understand you guys under normal circumstances the TC is locked, under load when going up an incline, it unlocks. So, anytime under load it unlocks. Meaning when towing in 5th it will be unlocked all the time hence many shift back to 4th.

I'm not towing yet, maybe a camper trailer by the end of the year, max 1500kg. So as per my understanding I don't really need a TC lock kit right now.

Am I right????

I had a look at MM4x4 products and I take my hat off! Looks impressive.
    My introduction:
    https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=62295

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Mostly correct but it's a worthwhile in normal driving, not just towing. Mitsi say you should tow in 4th, which then keeps the TC locked most of the time. But in 5th, it will lock and unlock under the slightest of load, as you found out. So if it stays locked up that incline, allowing you to remain in 5th, there's a big advantage right there. It's even better with a load on the back.

I've mentioned towing the caravan earlier but we have also a camper (Tvan) which is is 1500kg loaded and there's a big difference in the feel of the car and the ability to tow in 5th with either Lockup Mate or Auto Mate on board.

My suggestion...if you are going to tow, get one now. You won't be sorry.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• RyanR
        • Sep 2018
        • Sydney

And on a slight side note:
        How about at the traffic lights??

Is it better to leave it in D (impeller rotates but turbine doesn't) or let it run in N or even P?

I have noticed at the lights, with aircon on, in D the engine idled at constant rpm and in N it revs up each time the aircon kicks in.
        My introduction:

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

It has to disengage when stopped, obviously, just like a clutch in a manual.

If you are using drive, as you do with Auto Mate, just leave it there. There's no change from normal driving except that Auto Mate will hand control back to the normal ECU program as you decelerate and lock the TC again as you take off once you hit 30 khp.

If using sport mode with Auto mate or Lockup Mate, which are the same in that situation, just drive as normal.

I've never heard of anyone putting an automatic car in P (or N for that matter) at traffic lights. Why would you ?
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• RyanR
            • Sep 2018
            • Sydney

Thanks again for your replies, Ian!

I just have the feeling that at a traffic light in D, the engine seems at a load while in N it's just idling.
            Thinking of it now; in D the turbine should be static while in N it might be turning......
            My introduction:

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by RyanR View Post
              Thanks again for your replies, Ian!

I just have the feeling that at a traffic light in D, the engine seems at a load while in N it's just idling.
              Thinking of it now; in D the turbine should be static while in N it might be turning......

Do not put the auto into n or p when at lights. More often than not you,ll forget and put your foot down only to rev shit out of the engine. Tens of millions automatic cars all operate very safely and reliably with the auto left in drive all the time. All your doing is wearing out linkages/solenoids....just leave it in Drive. The engine is under very slight load when in D and waiting at lights...so what?...thats how every auto is designed...Its ready to drive away! Dont overthink the non existent issue....
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• gemster
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Gold Coast

Sitting at a Stop light in 'N' is very dangerous.... If you get slammed in the rear(happens often) your foot will come off the brake and you will end up in the middle of the Intersection.. And the other direction has a Green light....

Gemster....
                YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                  Sitting at a Stop light in 'N' is very dangerous.... If you get slammed in the rear(happens often) your foot will come off the brake and you will end up in the middle of the Intersection.. And the other direction has a Green light....
                  So how is sitting at a Stop light in 'D' any better? If you get slammed in the rear and your foot comes off the brake you're still going to roll forward.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• gemster
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Gold Coast

Not as fast.....

Gemster.....
                    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Sydney

Faster I would have thought given that you're in gear albeit at idle.

At the risk of being drawn into an inane argument, if one should be shunted so hard as to loose contact with the brake pedal I think you'll have other more pressing issues than maybe rolling a metre before getting foot on brake again.
                      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                        Faster I would have thought given that you're in gear albeit at idle.

At the risk of being drawn into an inane argument, if one should be shunted so hard as to loose contact with the brake pedal I think you'll have other more pressing issues than maybe rolling a metre before getting foot on brake again.
                        +1

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

While you're sitting in D with a foot on the brake and the engine at idle there isn't a whole lot of drive torque being transmitted, as the low engine speed means low hydraulic pump speed, and low pressure in the transmission. The same low pressure that means low drive torque also means low engine braking - whether you're in D or N will make negligible difference.

If the risk of being shunted into the intersection concerns you that much you should apply your handbrake.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X