Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 31-05-18

Well a friend who does a GTO engine management built a custom ECU / ROM to run my truck. We added support for Mivec, VICS, Knock sensors, electric fan control, (ODB II for those who do not have it), wide band, forced induction that is all PNP in to the stock harness of the NL trucks. In my case my NK comes with the same motor as the NL (here in the states) only difference is the wiring harness is 4 plug vs 3 in the later trucks. You just install the ECU + wideband and tune it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiI9oKfD...-by=leosrawkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimeone View Post
Wouldn't call this thread dead as I've been reading up about this stuff for the past few weeks looking for more info and I'm sure there's a few more out there. Can you provide some more info about your project? Also just noticed you have a 3.8 in your NK. I have a 3.8 non-mivec in my NL so hopefully some of your info can help me out too, thanks.
1997 NK (coil) 3.8 Mivec Hybrid motor, PNP Engine management, 3X lockers, extractors, Billstien 5100 shocks, king springs, GLX brake upgrade with slotted rotors front and back. 33inch MT's and 4.63 gears.

Last edited by kalieracer; 31-05-18 at 02:12 AM.
Old 31-05-18

Iíve installed Megasquirts in my other cars and would not hesitate to do so with my Pajero should the factory ECU die. There are so many advantages with aftermarket EMS and itís nice to take advantage of.
Old 31-05-18
Valued Member

have talked to this chap its a crazy cool system they are building and its OBD2 compliant, it also has knock sensors and the potential for some other cool features. definatley worth looking at if you are keen on a good ecu replacement

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 31-05-18

So... If I had an NL with a 380 engine it it that requires 98 octane otherwise it pings....

Could this be a plug and play solution to adjust timing/fuelling to be able to run on standard 91 octane.. without visiting a dyno....

and the million dollar question.. how much would it cost and how do you "tune' it.... I must admit I am very much an amateur mechanic but did manage to do the engine swap myself.
Old 31-05-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieracer View Post
Well a friend who does a GTO engine management built a custom ECU / ROM to run my truck. We added support for Mivec, VICS, Knock sensors, electric fan control, (ODB II for those who do not have it), wide band, forced induction that is all PNP in to the stock harness of the NL trucks. In my case my NK comes with the same motor as the NL (here in the states) only difference is the wiring harness is 4 plug vs 3 in the later trucks. You just install the ECU + wideband and tune it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiI9oKfD...-by=leosrawkus
Interesting, sounds very similar to Nistune for similar era Nissan ECU's on the S/R/Z chassis cars which is extremely useful but ultimately limited by the factory Nissan hardware like MAF's etc. If the ECU has the capability to output OBD II I'd assume you could then plug in a basis gauge reader to get engine vitals up on screen and log/acknowledge faults?

I'm running a Haltech Sport 2000 on mine currently.
Old 31-05-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyoffroad View Post
So... If I had an NL with a 380 engine it it that requires 98 octane otherwise it pings....

Could this be a plug and play solution to adjust timing/fuelling to be able to run on standard 91 octane.. without visiting a dyno....

and the million dollar question.. how much would it cost and how do you "tune' it.... I must admit I am very much an amateur mechanic but did manage to do the engine swap myself.
Yeah I'm in the exact same situation with an NL with the 380 engine. To make matters worse my wife drives a Stagea, and having to pay for 98 for both these cars is not cool. My Paj also has an exhaust and extractors and I feel I should be getting more out of the engine.

So keen to know basically how much would this cost and how do I get it done? I'm also a noob about this stuff.
Old 31-05-18

If high octane fuel is killing your wallet look into installing a water injection kit. Numerous advantages beyond raising your octane up several points. WI is more common in the forced induction world but still makes sense with NAís and even diesels.
Old 31-05-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by benckj View Post
If high octane fuel is killing your wallet look into installing a water injection kit. Numerous advantages beyond raising your octane up several points. WI is more common in the forced induction world but still makes sense with NAís and even diesels.
That looks interesting but seems like it would get expensive and wouldn't your need an ecu tune anyway? Also is it practical for a daily?
Old 01-06-18

Well you would tune it with wide band 02 sensor. Generally speaking what should happen is someone would do a tune on stock truck or truck with similar modifications and share it so others would have a good base to run off. I will be happy to share my tune but it is setup for 330hp motor and 91 gas. In terms of cost the ECU is around 600-650 USD and wide band is 160 or so. You would have wiring the knock sensor and get that out of any other local mistu.

chromedecu.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyoffroad View Post

1997 NK (coil) 3.8 Mivec Hybrid motor, PNP Engine management, 3X lockers, extractors, Billstien 5100 shocks, king springs, GLX brake upgrade with slotted rotors front and back. 33inch MT's and 4.63 gears.
Old 01-06-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimeone View Post
That looks interesting but seems like it would get expensive and wouldn't your need an ecu tune anyway? Also is it practical for a daily?
Sure don't need an EMS for WI and as cheap as chips to run. Only on-going cost is methanol if using with a forced induction set-up. Very practical for daily driver. I use my little MR2 turbo daily with no problems at all. Some info below for thought.

http://www.enginerunup.com/

On the EMS I installed my MSPNP along with wideband for under $1,000NZD. Did the majority of tuning myself with plenty of help from the on-line forum. Car has never run or performed better and I have full control of program. Worth looking into as the Pajero 4wd is not a standard ECU upgrade like most of the high performance engines out there.

Last edited by benckj; 01-06-18 at 07:02 AM.