• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cams
    • Sep 2010
    • Melbourne

Toyo Open Country

I have been uumming and aahhing about new tyres for my NT for a while now. I still have the original Bridgestone HT's and they have done just over 60 000 now. I was just about all set to get the 697's as many have. But in the last few days found something else.

tyres are Toyo Open Country AT II. They are a replacement for the AT. Some sizes have been released already, the LT 265/65/17 will be available early to mid July, I reckon they look pretty good.

Go anywhere, any time with the Open Country A/T II, a true all-terrain tyre that’s surprisingly capable off-road but retains the sealed road ...

Overseas, these have a 50 000 mile (80 000 Km) warranty

No idea on Price but the superseded AT can be got for low to mid 200's

Anyone care to have a look and offer an opinion? I know nothing about AT tyres, my paj was purchased as a tow car, but now sees bush tracks and would like something better stronger than HT.
    2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
    Open Country AT2's
    Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van
  • Paj man
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Perth

I've put my toyo at's through hell and they've done very well - had them on the car for at least 70,000k's (swapping them each season with my muddies over the past 2 years) and they are still kicking along (rubber has got hard a bit and camber issues have given them uneven wear). They've done every terrain off-road and although they not ideal for mud, they've been good in the sand and on the dirt and went surprising well on rocks. I haven't given them much love either - been balanced once and not really rotated (I was a poor, dumb uni student).

Would I get them again? No but only because I don't think I'll ever get an at tire again, but I will definitely considering the mt for my next tyre.

I will say that the new Bridgestone pattern surprised me in the clay last year down in Brunswick.
    1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• Cams
      • Sep 2010
      • Melbourne

Thanks Paj Man, Quite a positive response. The ATII's will have about 13mm tread depth going from the other sizes in the range, think I might wait till they are released and see what the cost is. Being a new tyre I am concerned about cost initially, may be not much discounting which may put me back to the 697.
      Open Country AT2's

Comment

• Paj man
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010
        • Perth

The toyo's are definitely worth a consideration. On a second look, it seems their new pattern is a touch more aggressive than their old pattern (little more open between the lugs) - this might make them a bit noisier but I've only noticed noise from mine in the past 6 months so I can't imagine this will be too noticeable.
        1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• Cams
          • Sep 2010
          • Melbourne

Just noticed that TyrePower are currently offering buy 4 get 5 on the AT and AT2 in a Toyo ad for the AT2. I know I would have to probably pay full retail for the 4, but could work out well.

The LT 265/65/17 are still not released, but they do have a LT 265/70/17. So my concern would be legalities and any problems that may occur. Think I read elsewhere here that a 70 profile tyre are mostly fine. Any thought?
          Open Country AT2's

Comment

• _jp_
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2013
            • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by Cams View Post
            Just noticed that TyrePower are currently offering buy 4 get 5 on the AT and AT2 in a Toyo ad for the AT2. I know I would have to probably pay full retail for the 4, but could work out well.

The LT 265/65/17 are still not released, but they do have a LT 265/70/17. So my concern would be legalities and any problems that may occur. Think I read elsewhere here that a 70 profile tyre are mostly fine. Any thought?
            I'm also keen to hear what others say about running 265/70R17. Particularly if the extra circumference causes any problems with the auto.
            NW GLXR - SOLD
            --------------
            EVO 6 TME

Comment

• Cams
              • Sep 2010
              • Melbourne

My tyre search is now over. I went to a Tyrepower store this morning and asked about pricing for the 265 70 17 and the soon to be released 265 65 17 and their 5 for 4 deal.

Pricing for the 70's was 319 per tyre fitted and 5 for the price of 4.
              Pricing for the 65's was 239 per tyre fitted and 5 for the price of 4, however, as they may not arrive by the end of the promotion paying for them prior to the end will secure the 5th tyre free.

I have ordered the 65's and they have been put on backorder and the set has been confirmed from the first shipment. They will dock end of June so should be fitted within 2 weeks from then. this is fine as my current tyres are still OK. Quite a number have already been back ordered.

At first I could not believe the price with also getting the 5th free, but that is it. It is LT as well. Other tyres I have looked at have been Maxxis, 697's and the Wildpeaks, I was never convinced by any of them that they were for me.

Very happy indeed, although in Australia they do not guarantee tread life, overseas it is 50 000 miles.

Sorry JP, Can't help with your problem but maybe others can.
              Open Country AT2's

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Cairns

239 per tyre with the 5th one free is a sensational price!
                I wouldn't have been leaving that deal behind either. It seems so good that you would think there's been an error with the numbers but if you've locked the deal in, then that's great for you!
                Cheers, Dan.
                2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Cams
                  • Sep 2010
                  • Melbourne

My initial thought was that he had made a mistake as well. Didn't need to think about it much before making the order. He called me a little later to confirm the back order had been placed as well with no mention of a mistake.

I do wonder if they are an introductory price to get them out there and good feedback before they go to a more regular price. With 5 for 4 I was expecting in the region of 320 a tyre.

I don't think supply form the first shipment is going to last long.
                  Open Country AT2's

Comment

• dean
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007

I see they have listed 265/70/16 as coming soon in a 10ply LT. While more of a less aggressive looking AT the construction would make them a worthy contender to the almighty BFG's in this size, particularly if price is an issue.
                    Dean
                    Last edited by dean; 04-06-14, 05:00 PM.
                    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Cams
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by dean View Post
                      I see they have listed 265/70/16 as coming soon in a 10ply LT. While more of a less aggressive looking AT the construction would make them a worthy contender to the almighty BFG's in this size, particularly if price is an issue.
                      Dean
                      Their coming soon means a shipment landing end of June and available at dealers within 2 weeks from then. Dealers are able to price and order them now.
                      Open Country AT2's

Comment

• GM...
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Gold Coast

Hi Guys
                        Have been running the toyo open country M/T's just over a year now, made a big difference to the old girls ability off road. They are a little noisy on the bitumen, but i can live with that..
                        Cheers,
                        98 NL Pajero, 3.2 Common rail Diesel, Auto with some work.

Comment

• chutsy33
                          • May 2008
                          • Far NW Qld

Hi All, I have posted in this section about TOYO MTs and how I have now swapped to TOYO AT II. Both are excellent tyres but the MTs drove me nuts with the noise.
                          tyre size for both were 265/70/17 no trouble with fit except the spare won't go on the back without trimming the plastic. Haven't done that mod yet.
                          2007 NS VRX 3.2 Manual, 265/70/17 , 3' Scott Rods Exhaust, SPVi EGR Module, TJM Snorkle. 2008 ML triton 3.2 manual.

Comment

• Cams
                            • Sep 2010
                            • Melbourne

I did think the 70's might be an issue fitting the spare wheel carrier, mine is lifted as well.
                            Open Country AT2's

Comment

• chutsy33
                              • May 2008
                              • Far NW Qld

Yep got the spare lifter and will have to trim the plastic to fit the spare, just not game to do it yet. LOL. 265/70/17s fill the guards nicely with the 2' lift
                              2007 NS VRX 3.2 Manual, 265/70/17 , 3' Scott Rods Exhaust, SPVi EGR Module, TJM Snorkle. 2008 ML triton 3.2 manual.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X