Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 06-05-19

thanks for that... the mechanic I am getting to do the job said not to to that and order the proper parts .... so I have been painstakingly trying to hunt down the rubber seals. nobody seems to carry them. It has me wondering where mechanics in Australia source the timing cover seals when they do the timing belts etc?

I'm like 2 weeks off the road so far ! ... wondering what I have gotten myself in for owning an old beasty like an NJ
Old 06-05-19
Resident

This may sound a bit left-field, but can you check under your bonnet for a "Chassis number" or "frame number"? I don't expect you'll find it on your compliance plate, but there should be another aluminium plate somewhere under the bonnet that might have it.

I'm working on a theory for finding Gen 2 parts on Amayama, but my NJ is an hour away, so I can't check it.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 06-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettNJ View Post
thanks for that... the mechanic I am getting to do the job said not to to that and order the proper parts .... so I have been painstakingly trying to hunt down the rubber seals. nobody seems to carry them. It has me wondering where mechanics in Australia source the timing cover seals when they do the timing belts etc?

I'm like 2 weeks off the road so far ! ... wondering what I have gotten myself in for owning an old beasty like an NJ
It's literally because no one bothers buying them, because they don't achieve much at all in the way of sealing. Other engines you need a timing cover gasket, but that's if it has chain and needs to seal oil in. Surely this guy understands that it's the equivalent of keeping the front door of your house sealed-you want to keep dust out and that's all. You will achieve the same seal by just bolting it back together with the old one there in 99% of cases. Don't keep it off the road for the sake of some foam rubber. Are you sure about this guys credentials?

You might be lucky and get some in a top end rebuild kit. I've had that happen for other engines I've done. But seriously, keeping the car off the road for trying to find that.........
Old 07-05-19

Second that. The seals are really not important. One of my covers has a crack in it - makes no difference.

This YouTube will give you an idea of what you are about to do. https://youtu.be/aJlVz9SawEE. You donít need to remove the rocker covers and spark plugs unless you have oil leaks or the plugs need replacement.

Get a manual. You can find several free on the internet. The timing belt timing is critical.

Check for leaks on the of the water pump as the pump and a seal on the back of the pump fails. The previous owner may have only changed the front half of the pump which is what is mostly for sale. Usually this results in pulling it all out again as the o ring to a coolant tube the goes across the valley to the back of the engine and the gasket on the back of the pump inevitably fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-19

As others said the seal on the cover is just a foam dust seal, if yours is totally disintegrated, go to Bunnings and get some weather seal stuff, (self adhesive foam tape, Raven brand springs to mind)

Go for it1
Dave
Old 27-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
It's literally because no one bothers buying them, because they don't achieve much at all in the way of sealing. Other engines you need a timing cover gasket, but that's if it has chain and needs to seal oil in. Surely this guy understands that it's the equivalent of keeping the front door of your house sealed-you want to keep dust out and that's all. You will achieve the same seal by just bolting it back together with the old one there in 99% of cases. Don't keep it off the road for the sake of some foam rubber. Are you sure about this guys credentials?

You might be lucky and get some in a top end rebuild kit. I've had that happen for other engines I've done. But seriously, keeping the car off the road for trying to find that.........
no, I only know this backyard mech through a mutual friend. He quoted $300 to do the job, all other mechanics in my area quoted between $700-900 with a disclaimer that it might be more if there are "complications" .... I've been flat out so still no-one seems to be able to supply and this guy is very keen to have the seals before he'll touch the job. For all the headaches I'm wondering if I should have just started the job myself
Old 27-05-19

My advice get a different mechanic or do it yourself without the gaskets.

Alternatively try this. https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...il-pan-7935364

If you get the MB part numbers sometimes you can search the part number and get lower cost elsewhere.

Note check this is the right model Paj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 Days Ago

My 3.0 NH had this exact leak when I bought it. I found it never got any worse. I was able to put 250 000km on the motor without changing it. Just had to keep my eye on the oil level.
A little bit of oil under the motor usually looks worse then it is. degreasing for rego checks was less painful then a motor tare down.
I did purchase a new seal your welcome to have it.