• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tone13
    • May 2014
    • Victoria

Diesel - is it just me.......

....... Or do our Challengers run far quieter, smoother and have more power when filling up with BP Diesel?

Filled up at Caltex and noticed the Challenger was noisy (far more diesel clatter) and lacking a bit in power. Maybe it was bad fuel but when I then filled up with BP, the engine seemed far quieter, smoother and had more power. Can a different brand of diesel really effect the engine so obviosly?

If so, whats different between say, BP and Caltex diesels?
    2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

This is a can of worms and depending on who you ask you’ll get a different answer.
    My old car (Diesel Terracan) used to blow less smoke on BP than Caltex but in my current Pajero I can’t really tell any difference between brands to be honest.
    Mind you I do put a dose of Chemtech diesel power cleaner/ treatment in every tank now with this new vehicle.
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• itsamitsi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2015
      • Hervey Bay Queensland

I don't think I've noticed much between Caltex and BP but them and other diesels for sure. They are premiums and not standard diesel. I try and solely run BP in ours as it seems to be the benchmark.
      Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

X2

BP ultimate diesel all the way ...

No need then to put an additive in ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

my 300zx runs completely different on caltex petrol to BP.... I know it is all supposed to come from the same refineries but I also know that Caltex fuel I have issues with vapor lock and it idles very low and stumbles when the engine is warm at idle.... no problems with BP - infact my wife used to complain that it would stall on her at the lights after she filled it with caltex (she uses caltex due to her shopping discount vouchers) I dont let her fill it up anymore
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• KevL
            • May 2015
            • Murphys Creek

Mine runs noticeably smoother on BP Ultimate. Caltex Vortex is close behind. No noticeable difference between normal bp and normal Caltex, just nothing like ultimate or vortex.
            Filled twice at Shell. Never again. Seemed down on power and fuel economy absolutely awful.
            I have no idea why there’s so much difference as the actual fuel makeup is not that different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• itsamitsi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2015
              • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by KevL View Post
              Mine runs noticeably smoother on BP Ultimate. Caltex Vortex is close behind. No noticeable difference between normal bp and normal Caltex, just nothing like ultimate or vortex.
              Filled twice at Shell. Never again. Seemed down on power and fuel economy absolutely awful.
              I have no idea why there’s so much difference as the actual fuel makeup is not that different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Oh but there is a difference. Twice I used a little local servo after hours as I needed fuel urgently and it was awful. 100km less on those tank fulls and the running and performance was notably down.(It seemed very clear for diesel too) BP and Caltex no difference. Shell was lousy too, Mobil made it smoke more on hard acceleration.
              Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Tone13
                • May 2014
                • Victoria

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to know there can be such a difference between the major brands.

I definitely filled up with Caltex as I remember it was from the 'Foodary' service station on Tullamarine Drive near Melbourne airport which is a large new Caltex joint.

The Chall' ran so poorly after that that I thought there was a problem with it. After then filling up with BP, all came good again after 30km's or so.
                2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

• greig
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • kanwal

Run my 200 series on a local no name servo diesel and notice no difference compared to a tank of the "premium" stuff ??

The "premium" diesel is supposed to have a cleaner added, but have never heard of proof that cetane levels are higher than other brands.

It's true that most or all diesel comes from the same place, and additives are the only difference.
                  But getting info on what additives are added is very hard.

Comment

• mossy338
                    • Jan 2011
                    • NSW

No detectable difference for me in performance or economy between BP ultimate, which I have switched to 'coz everyone says it's better', and other brands I was using before.
                    2014 PC auto Challenger, TJM bull bar, TJM 9,500 lb winch, TJM bash plates x 3, OME suspension 40mm lift, Autosafe cargo barrier, SPVi EGR control, Maxxis AT 980 265/70/16.

Comment

• DID Dash
                      • Aug 2016
                      • Australia

Cannot explain why, but my PB Challenger which I owned for 5 years was noticeably smoother on BP Ultimate than any other fuel I tried. I would always go out of my way to fill up at BP even though I passed by a Caltex every day. On the rare occasion (usually out bush) where I used alternate fuel, it just didn't feel as smooth.

Interestingly, in my new Pajero Sport, I did the first 3000kms of its life using only BP Ultimate. I had to fuel up at a Caltex up North over the LWE and noticed a little uneven idle on the way home. Coincidence?
                      17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• greig
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • kanwal

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
                        Cannot explain why, but my PB Challenger which I owned for 5 years was noticeably smoother on BP Ultimate than any other fuel I tried. I would always go out of my way to fill up at BP even though I passed by a Caltex every day. On the rare occasion (usually out bush) where I used alternate fuel, it just didn't feel as smooth.

Interestingly, in my new Pajero Sport, I did the first 3000kms of its life using only BP Ultimate. I had to fuel up at a Caltex up North over the LWE and noticed a little uneven idle on the way home. Coincidence?
                        Maybe in your mind ??
                        While BP ultimate "may" have additives for cleaning purposes, I can't see how the other diesel fuel could have ANY bad effects to the running of a engine.

Comment

• Tone13
                          • May 2014
                          • Victoria

Originally posted by greig View Post
                          Maybe in your mind ??
                          While BP ultimate "may" have additives for cleaning purposes, I can't see how the other diesel fuel could have ANY bad effects to the running of a engine.
                          Nope, it's definately not in his mind. My Pb also runs far smoother and with more power on BP Ultimate. The difference is quite staggering.

I'm wondering if it's something particular to the Pb or some diesels engines in particular as others don't notice a difference.

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Originally posted by greig View Post
                            Maybe in your mind ??
                            hi Greig ... how's the 200 series going ...

we too also notice the difference with running BP Ultimate compared to other fuels ... must be some special Beepee ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• itsamitsi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2015
                              • Hervey Bay Queensland

IIRC BPs cetane rating was the highest of all which may account for this? You will notice it most in the smaller TDs.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X