• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • countman88
    • Feb 2018
    • brisbane

Reversing Camera

I have had my PA Challenger for 12 yrs and should have fitted a reversing camera to help with hooking up my caravan years ago.
    Daughter now borrows car and van occasionally so I would like to now fit one to make it simpler for her. Has anyone had any success with a simple reasonably low cost wireless system they would recommend?

Thanks
    KenD Brisbane
  • countman88
    • Feb 2018
    • brisbane

Should have done it years ago, but better late than never.
    Thinking of purchasing a wireless reversing camera which I intend to mount through my bumper bar so I can use it for hooking up caravan, and for exiting shopping centre carparks etc.
    Probably go for a dash mounted viewer rather than attaching to rearview mirror, and just plug the lead into one of the cigarette lighter sockets..
    I have watched a few youtube videos on install and it doesn't seem too difficult, even for an electrical wiring novice like me.
    Although, I have had a look for reversing electrical leads at the rear of the Challenger and none seem all that simple to attach too.
    I have a round 7pin fitting on the car, and a flat 7pin with a round connector on the van. Is it simple or practical to hook into the round 7 pin wiring on the car? How do I identify which wire is the reversing light wire?
    The wiring going into the plug is covered. Is it as easy as carefully removing part of the covering, locating the wire/s, attaching, then covering with tape?
    Some of the cameras and displays have a transmitter/receiver (?) and an arial, requiring additional wiring I imagine. Some of the newer ones don't. Which is likely to be better?

A fixed wired camera would probably be better, but getting the wiring from rear to dashboard looks a bit of an ordeal.

Would appreciate your suggestions

Thanks

KenD
    Sunnybank Hills Brisbane

Comment

• MITSY
      • Jan 2013
      • MAITLAND, N.S.W.

Reversing Camera Kit Setup

Hi COUNTMAN88, I asked a very similar question in January,2018 and still awaiting a reply. I hope you are a bit more successful. Good luck. Cheers Mitsy.

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

Im thinking there might be a better response in the Electrical/radios part of the forum .... https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...splay.php?f=13
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• countman88
          • Feb 2018
          • brisbane

Have now posted to the Electrical/Radios section, thanks 900 Canoes.
          Have you gone ahead with your purchase/installation Mitsy?

KenD
          Brisbane

Comment

• 900canoes
            Valued Member
            • May 2008
            • FNQ

Gidday Ken,

I haven't done an installation myself. I am in the process of getting a rear vision camera (not reversing) for my Dmax when the canopy with no windows is fitted. It will be hard wired though.
            I may get a Safety Dave product.
            Last edited by 900canoes; 21-05-18, 07:07 AM.
            2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• countman88
              • Feb 2018
              • brisbane

For anyone with a camera fitted to their PA Challenger, what is the best location for it to give a fair view of the tow ball for hooking up caravan, and also work ok as reversing camera for say 4 or 5 metres

Thanks

KenD
              Brisbane

Comment

• robdavo
                • Dec 2013
                • Wantirna, Vic

Hi Countman
                I have a PC which already has the reversing camera fitted, and it is great for hooking up the van. The camera is mounted to the left side of the number plate under the tailgate handle recess. This gives a slightly offset image initially in the reversing process, but the "alignment" improves the closer you get to the van hitch. I can drop the van directly onto the ball most times.
                As for a wireless / aftermarket setup, I use a wifi camera at the rear of my van that links and auto connects (mostly) with either my smartphone, or android tablet I use for navigation. (Don't try to use 2 wifi connections to camera at same time.)
                Generally the signal from camera to phone is ok as my van is small, but still longer than just the PC, so this setup would suit you as a reversing camera. Just connect into reversing light in the tail-light assembly.
                The main downside to wifi system though is that it is not an instant connection liked a wired system. For a van where things are slower in the process of reversing, then it's ok, but backing into that spot at the shops, I would go wired.
                Running a wire to the rear is pretty simple. From the dash (or top of windscreen) it is easy to feed the wire down the A pillar foe windscreen, or just down the footwell, and then pull up the front and rear carpet edge side plates and feed through to rear wheel well. You will need to pop some trim off here, and if the PA has the drink holders in the wheel well trim, then pull this out to allow you to feed through to the taillight assembly. Pick up reversing wire here. Run camera lead out beside tail-light and up into tailgate. Remove trim to mount and wire to position.

As I don't know the specifics of the PA trim, this is a guide only, and also depends on how the camera is attatched to the lead. It may be necessary to wire in the reverse direction, but this worked with a mirror mounted crashcam / reversing camera system I have.
                MY14 PC Challenger Auto, Terra Rosa, Rear Storage Drawer and Fridge System, 120Ah Dual Battery, Traxide SC80 Isolator, H/Reece Hitch. Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller, LED Running Lights, 80W LED Light Bar, Factory (PB) Nudge Bar. Thule Racks, GME TX3510 CB, Poly Airs, MN Triton 17" wheels. Tinted windows, deflectors and bonnet guard. Headlight protectors.

Comment

• countman88
                  • Feb 2018
                  • brisbane

Thanks to everyone who responded.
                  I have taken the easy way out and bought a system at Auto1 which they will install next week.
                  Went for a Command wired one camera system with rear view mirror viewer.

Cheers

KenD
                  Brisbane

Comment

• countman88
                    • Feb 2018
                    • brisbane

Installation went well and the camera has worked well. I had them run an extra cable from the rear to the rear vision mirror monitor. Bought a camera and cable on ebay and fitted it to my caravan. Easy job and works well too. Very handy for my 3500km caravan trip over the last month.

Comment

• slewman
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Narangba

Hi Ken,

Can ask how much the installation cost (ball park)

Cheers
                      Daz
                      (North Brissie)

Comment

• countman88
                        • Feb 2018
                        • brisbane

G'day Daz
                        From memory it was about $350 all up. Camera, monitor fitting. Including fitting the extra cable for the caravan camera.

Cheers

KenD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X