Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 17-05-15

Default Permanent removal of spare wheel garnish

The rear of my NT had a close encounter with a tree recently - as usual the tree won! As I had the spare wheel off being repaired at the time, there was nothing there to help absorb the impact. The result was a totally wrecked piece of garnish which I had to cut off to get the spare back on. (See pics below.)

Now I've always hated this piece of plastic, and would rather have the exposed wheel (easier to remove, can check air pressure). This started me thinking about a permanent mod. The remains of the garnish on the right could be removed and a high lift jack carrier installed. Not too sure about the left yet, especially as there is the rear door handle under there.

Would need to make a bracket for number plate and lights, but don't see any problem there. Anybody know if I can permanently remove the rear fog light without any issues?

Any input would be welcome. Looking for ideas.

Thanks

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030741_1024.jpg (110.9 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg P1030742_1024.jpg (92.5 KB, 532 views)
File Type: jpg P1030743_1024.jpg (95.3 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg P1030744_1024.jpg (85.1 KB, 498 views)
2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel
Old 17-05-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgeeman View Post
The rear of my NT had a close encounter with a tree recently - as usual the tree won! As I had the spare wheel off being repaired at the time, there was nothing there to help absorb the impact. The result was a totally wrecked piece of garnish which I had to cut off to get the spare back on. (See pics below.)

Now I've always hated this piece of plastic, and would rather have the exposed wheel (easier to remove, can check air pressure). This started me thinking about a permanent mod. The remains of the garnish on the right could be removed and a high lift jack carrier installed. Not too sure about the left yet, especially as there is the rear door handle under there.

Would need to make a bracket for number plate and lights, but don't see any problem there. Anybody know if I can permanently remove the rear fog light without any issues?

Any input would be welcome. Looking for ideas.

Thanks

Graham
Maybe get all the unwanted crap off and have an aluminium plate cut to cover all the body points that are now exposed. Use spacers to make it even. Probably have the plate mount under the tyre holding plate. This way you have a flat canvas from which to mount bracket for whatever. You could possibly mount an air compressor in a aluminium cover(and to keep it safe.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more..
Old 17-05-15
Valued Member

I feel for you. Several times, I have been reversing my NW into tight spaces, and I have been using the camera. Camera look down to the ground, and I have nearly hit a tree and also a cross brace for a carpark roof structure. Also an elevated walkway. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything, but one day... It makes you realise that modern technology isn't as good as people would have you believe.

If you look on fleabay, there are wreckers selling the offending plastic bits, but from memory, they want about $200.
Old 17-05-15

Dicko1 - I was thinking of separate plates for the left and right, but I like your idea of a full width plate placed under the existing mount. I was thinking about a spare wheel lift plate for larger tyres, so this might be part of the total scheme.

Erad - only going back if all else fails (or gets too hard).
2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel
Old 17-05-15
Valued Member

I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I've also been toying with the idea of removing the Garnish. I haven't put any serious thought into it yet, but was thinking about offsetting the spare wheel carrier and moving the rear camera up into the dust deflector.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
Old 17-05-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I've also been toying with the idea of removing the Garnish. I haven't put any serious thought into it yet, but was thinking about offsetting the spare wheel carrier and moving the rear camera up into the dust deflector.
I have a GL, so don't have any fancy stuff like cameras to worry about. I haven't pulled the inside trim off yet, so not sure if I'll find any problems. This will take a week or two, but I'll update every now and then.
Old 17-05-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
I feel for you. Several times, I have been reversing my NW into tight spaces, and I have been using the camera. Camera look down to the ground, and I have nearly hit a tree and also a cross brace for a carpark roof structure. Also an elevated walkway. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything, but one day... It makes you realise that modern technology isn't as good as people would have you believe.

If you look on fleabay, there are wreckers selling the offending plastic bits, but from memory, they want about $200.
Our NX at work got a new rear window when it was pretty much brand new. Manager at work reversed it into an underground CBD car space using the camera but went too far. Nudged an aircon duct and shattered the glass.

Why not just strip the door of all the wheel cover plastic and see how it looks?
Might not need anything Other than putting the bolts back in the bolt holes.

One of our other offices has a new Prado with Kaymar dual tyre carrier. I noticed that the rear door handle is just left exposed as the black surround comes off as part of the install for door clearance. It's fine without it. Pajero might be similar.
Incidentally the installer didn't put the 4 bolts back in the door when they removed factory tyre carrier. Would have let in a fair bit if dust and water by now.
Old 18-05-15

Some progress - see photos.

Due to different panel heights, need for spacers, new pins and bolts for carrier, etc. have decided to go for left and right plates.

Hard to see from these photos, but crumpled panel work where hinges used to be needs attention also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inner1_1024.jpg (102.5 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg Inner2_1024.jpg (97.6 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg Bare_Outer_1024.jpg (78.0 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg Latch_1024.jpg (57.9 KB, 425 views)
Old 18-05-15
Valued Member

Will be following this with interest Graham, I have never liked the wheel carrier assembly on the Paj. Its one exterior blunder I reckon.
If you could re-route the camera into the spoiler at the top of your door, I think it be a superior location as well.

If you can track this vehicle down, they removed the rear garnish and from memory replaced it with a new panel to mount the wheel too.
http://www.leisurewheels.co.za/?s=project+pajero
Old 18-05-15

How are you liking the STZ's