Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > It's all about 'Fishing'

It's all about 'Fishing' Let's have a look at your catch and boat!

Old 24-12-14
Valued Member

To correct some misinformation (for SA at least, where I live):
http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/r.../european_carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub888 View Post
Boil them for six hours with a brick in the pot. Throw the carp out and eat the brick, much more palatable.

It is also illegal to return to the water dead or alive or any part of them. Ie: illegal to use for yabby bait.
See above link, they can be used as yabbie bait, but must be killed before being returned to the water in pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_H View Post
Well its legal to return carp to the water they were caught in, in NSW, ACT and SA. Illegal to return them in Vic, Qld and WA.

Give me a salt water fish to eat over any fresh water fish any day of the week.
See above link again. It is ILLEGAL to return them alive to the water in SA.

In NSW is is legal to return them to the waters they were caught in but not recommended:
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/...tional-fishers

In ACT it is legal to return them to the waters they were caught in:
http://www.environment.act.gov.au/cp...ing_in_the_act
Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Stedi driving/fog light combo + LED headlights, dual battery, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone
Old 24-12-14
Valued Member

50 years ago when I fished the Murray River it was crystal clear in most areas. Long reed grass and you could see 2 meters down easily. Redfin to 6lb were common and bloody good eating. Yellow belly , sliver perch and cod were there as well. The introduction of carp into the system decimated much of the waters the native fish habituated. Redfin were an introduced species but seemed to fit in ok with the system. Carp just ruined water clarity, native fish numbers dwindled and redfin over a pound are not common. The cod are making a come back but I also think that fisheries education with catch and release has had a positive effect on the fishery as well.
Anyone who had a grain of intelligence would not return a carp back into the water it came from. I can remember shooting hundreds of them with a .22 from the banks of the Murray as they were in plague proportions. Actually a waste of a good bullet.
Old 24-12-14

We go fishing in the Murray at least twice a year and love to catch the big Cod but we always spend some time targeting Carp and would never put one back.

Old 24-12-14
Pajero Club Life Member

Default Carp

While living in Canberra in the mid 80s we deliberately fished in the Kingston area of Lake Burley-Griffin for European Carp (brother lived there, while we were down at Monash). We used to toss in a can of sweetcorn about 1hr before fishing the same spot, then using light gear with sweetcorn for bait in the same spot. Was good fun.

Best we ever caught was 21lb on 6lb line. Normal was about 10lb.

We cleaned, gutted and beheaded them on the lake and then chopped them up with the meat cleaver at home, put them through the course blades on the mincer and put them into cat feed size packs in the freezer.

The cat we had at the time would eat as much as he could fit in, then curl up and sleep for a day. He couldn't get enough of them.
Old 24-12-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my.paj View Post
We go fishing in the Murray at least twice a year and love to catch the big Cod but we always spend some time targeting Carp and would never put one back.
The one thing I miss about living in Cairns is fishing the Murray. Have caught some nice nice cod there Kept my first 2 but released everything after that. Biggest was 37 lbs. Nice fish and I like to think that he,s still swimming there somewhere. I actually caught my second cod near Yarrawonga golf course. It had 5 golf balls in its gut when I cleaned it!!! I suspect that the cod thought it was some sort of food as the golf balls probably bounced along the river bottom with the current. Thats my theory anyway. My uncle said that many years ago they used to catch cod on hard boiled eggs. Hopefully most people are putting the cod back alive.
cheers
Old 26-12-14
Valued Member

the European Carp is one of the main reason Murray cod are a endangered species.
they are the enemy to any native fish as they are a bottom feeder (EDIT) ( they suck mud from the river banks and spit it out causing erosion and root damage to native grasses and reeds) as well as foul the water with the silt. they eat the eggs and spawn of any water borne reproduction, as well as reduce the habitat for egg laying fish as well as waterbirds. I have a friend who is a scientist at SARDI, reckons the Murry Cod will be extinct in 20 years in the wild, they are a very slow growing fish, and even taking 1 breeding female out of the eco system is devestating to the species. they are feircley territorial, and taking one from its part of the river also makes its territory available to carp, and the devestation continues.

If you are fishing over the holidays pls dont target Murray cod or trout cod. they are magnificent animals, check out the one at the Melbourne aquarium to see one up close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_cod

Last edited by bilgeboy; 26-12-14 at 11:06 PM.
Old 26-12-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgeboy View Post
the European Carp is one of the main reason Murray cod are a endangered species.
they are the enemy to any native fish as they are a mouth feeder ( they suck mud from the river banks and spit it out causing erosion and root damage to native grasses and reeds, as well as foul the water with the silt. they eat the eggs and spawn of any water borne reproduction, as well as reduce the habitat for egg laying fish as well as waterbirds. I have a friend who is a scientist at SARDI, reckons the Murry Cod will be extinct in 20 years in the wild, they are a very slow growing fish, and even taking 1 breeding female out of the eco system is devestating to the species. they are feircley territorial, and taking one from its part of the river also makes its territory available to carp, and the devestation continues.

If you are fishing over the holidays pls dont target Murray cod or trout cod. they are magnificent animals, check out the one at the Melbourne aquarium to see one up close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_cod

Totally agree mate. Cod should be a catch and release fish only. They were a plentiful fish at one stage but not now. Magnificent fish to look at and to see one around 40lbs is special.
Old 11-02-16

Default Carp

I love flyfishing for carp, but we mainly do it in former trout streams like the Turon. Now the interesting thing is the Turon is a crystal clear freestone river with no mud, and the Carp out of it provided they are put on ice straight out of the water taste better then a lot of trout from streams out around Rockley way.
Mind you I still dong the majority on the head and leave them for the goannas to clean up.
They are a brilliant sport fish, in that they can be sight fished(That's all we do), fight like crazy and grow big. My best last week was 17lb, with 3 over 10lb, got snapped four times on 12lb tippet trying to keep them out of snags but still landed 8 for half a day.
If anyone wants any tips on flyfishing for them please feel feee to contact me.
Cheers Pete
Old 11-02-16
Valued Member

Where I came from, Carp was the main fish from a mountain river up in the North West of China bordering Russia. We continued to eat them here and go on an annual Xmas pilgrimage to Milang at Lake Alexanderina to catch and net them and also to get fresh milk, Stopped doing that when they no longer sold fresh milk to the public.
Old 11-02-16
Valued Member

We call the "mud marlin". All they're good for is shark burley.