Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Website Feedback

Website Feedback Tell us what you do like and don't like about the forum.

Old 11-05-12
Administrator

No comment...

How to get Forum Decals
Old 11-05-12
Valued Member

Surprised that the club doesn't use a VPS (with cpanel if required) on the US west coast - a good managed service would be about $500 to $900/year including external backup.

Eg
US$400 to $500/year
2500 GB Premium Bandwidth
1Gb RAM
40 GB Disk Space
IP: 2

US$700-$800/year
4500 GB Premium Bandwidth
1.5Gb RAM
75 GB Disk Space
IP: 2

+ Backup about US$80 - $120/year

Last edited by marquis; 11-05-12 at 05:26 PM.
Old 13-05-12

Tim - not having a shot at you at all. Was thinking it was very generous and couldn't help but think what was in it for you - especially when the forum has paid advertisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
4PAWZ had a shot at us for defending our advertisers or should I say paid advertisers.
Yes we have 5 paid advertisers here ( the other 3 are freebies as they support the club in other ways). These advertisers pay $150 per annum which is dirt cheap advertising so multiply that by five. I believe that makes $750 that we collect, I know forum hosting is up around $1000 per annum so that leaves us $250 shy that club members have to fork out for. Most club members do not even browse or are members of the forum so probably couldn't care less if it is here or not. So they are putting in and don't even use it. Now when you have a shot about us defending our advertisers how would you like to be a shop owner that sells a certain product and has the monopoly on sales of the item. All the sudden someone moves in next door selling the same product and start boldly advertising right in front of your shop. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with it. So are we protecting them ? Damn straight we are
Are we making money or a profit? No we are still $250 shy.
Should we take notice of people like 4PAWZ who on there third post has a crack about us trying to get hosting fees for the forum paid by others than members.
Dave
My apologies, didn't realise you're running at a loss. Though, I am entitled to an opinion and don't deserve being jumped in such an immature fashion.

For the matter of advertising, we should be able to discuss things openly and without bias. People often make criticism of magazines because their reviews, opinions and outcomes are all in keeping with their advertisers (eg Toyota). You are effectively doing the same.

At the end of the day, I have my opinion, you have yours.
Old 13-05-12

The problem with letting people say what they like about a product that a company is paying to have advertised here is that they may lose sales thanks to the advertising they have paid for, rather than gain them. This can lead to all sorts of legal issues particularly when in a lot of cases when the site agrees to promote them in return for money they are also agreeing not to present them in a negative light.
Old 13-05-12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PAWZ View Post
Tim - not having a shot at you at all. Was thinking it was very generous and couldn't help but think what was in it for you - especially when the forum has paid advertisers.

My apologies, didn't realise you're running at a loss. Though, I am entitled to an opinion and don't deserve being jumped in such an immature fashion.

For the matter of advertising, we should be able to discuss things openly and without bias. People often make criticism of magazines because their reviews, opinions and outcomes are all in keeping with their advertisers (eg Toyota). You are effectively doing the same.

At the end of the day, I have my opinion, you have yours.
Well I thought an immature post deserved a immature reply!
Your comment was ....... even to the point some posts have been censored to keep advertisers happy.
Show me the posts ! Only one I know of and that was regarding the Lock up kits on Ebay as we have an advertiser who sells them.
Dave
Old 13-05-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
Well I thought an immature post deserved a immature reply!
Your comment was ....... even to the point some posts have been censored to keep advertisers happy.
Show me the posts ! Only one I know of and that was regarding the Lock up kits on Ebay as we have an advertiser who sells them.
Dave
You've answered your own question - that is the post I refer to.

I choose not to discuss anything with you further - as I do not wish to bring myself down to your level.
Old 13-05-12
Valued Member

To the OP, the reason the links are broken is because the forum is misconfigured. In the forum config some one has put IPs in some of the fields that create URLs for stuff like links in emails about PMs where they should've put FQDNs. It will be a painful mistake. One day the hosting provider will change that IP and lots of stuff will stop working, and, you wont be able to fix it. Change it now to reduce the inevitable pain. Happy to help if you need me.

EDIT: i decide to edit this post because i think the way in which i asked my questions came across as negative, which wasn't my intention. I dont care enough about the answers to re write them in a more positive way

Last edited by Pete; 15-05-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 14-05-12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PAWZ View Post
You've answered your own question - that is the post I refer to.

I choose not to discuss anything with you further - as I do not wish to bring myself down to your level.
Well if that's your biggest gripe against the forum I can surely live with that.
As for bringing yourself down to my level I would rather you not as it is pretty crowded down here as it is
Dave
Old 14-05-12
Administrator

PM sent Pete..

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals