Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 19-06-16

Default Polishing The Chrome And Alloy

Hi everyone, I know its been touched on before but it has been a couple of years. Polishing your chrome or alloy is a tiresome job but I found an easier way years ago when shiney trucks were all the go. Metal Polishing Compound comes in a white stick and shearers use this for polishing their combs. I have an old cheese grator tha I used to shave the stick down so its all flakey. Grab a couple of desert spoons full and put into a container. Add kerosine and mix it until its a nice paste. Now appky it with soft cloth to the area and rub in. Let it dry a bit then hit it with a dry towel or even a polishing bluff. Its very cost effective and comes up a treat.

Tips: 1. Wear gloves as this polish like most will go black and is hard to get of. I found the old dish gloves work best.
2. When you wash your vehicle, dont leave the detergent on the chrome or alloy for very long as it will leave streaks. I found this with most metal polishes.
3. Dont try and polish out bitumen that may be splatered over your chrome or alloy. Wipe diesel over the bitumen and give it time to soak in. You will see the bitumen starting to run. Keep wiping but dont rub until its all gone.(you can do this with your paint work as well). Wash the areas when finished.