Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 26-05-16

Alan,

That Auto Goop stuff seems pretty amazing stuff. I will have a look at it, however as a 3 month solution it may be a bit of a stretch. I will contact the Goop guys and see how long it can be used before re-application. The other option seems to be wax the paint and then apply a thin rub of WD40 over the wax on big driving days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan-J View Post
Hi, You could think about a product called Auto Goop. It rolls on. Really easy and it would only take 10 mins to use it on those parts of the vehicle likely to be affected e.g. pillars, car bonnet. It goes on white and dries clear. You can peel it off with water. You would need to carry the bottle and roller with you to reapply every few days after you peel off the old layer. I have used it several times on my regular trips to the North of SA. My only other advice is as others have suggested is to get the bugs off as soon as practicable before they "set".
Cheers
Old 26-05-16
Valued Member

Actually came back here to post that one, have used it myself too. it softens when it rain, so less protection from scratches, but if just bugs you are thinking about on the highway then would still be fine for that even if it has softened after a rain.
SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.
Old 27-05-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan-J View Post
Hi, You could think about a product called Auto Goop. It rolls on. Really easy and it would only take 10 mins to use it on those parts of the vehicle likely to be affected e.g. pillars, car bonnet. It goes on white and dries clear. You can peel it off with water. You would need to carry the bottle and roller with you to reapply every few days after you peel off the old layer. I have used it several times on my regular trips to the North of SA. My only other advice is as others have suggested is to get the bugs off as soon as practicable before they "set".
Cheers
I tried goop, even did a write up on here somewhere. As soon as it rains it turns white and falls off. I did all the side of the car for my first forumites trip (when they use to run them) and it rained on the way there and when i got out it had turned white and was peeling off (kind creepy looking).
Old 01-06-16

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Penguin View Post
We will be heading off soon around Australia with the kids.

Something I'm thinking about is how to protect the paint for the heaps of bugs that will be on the paint.

I waxed the paint on Monday, but I wonder if there is anything else I can do to make it as easy as possible to get the bugs off or prevent them sticking in the first place?

My Google search had found the following so far : WD40 (not sure if it will attack the paint with extended use), Lanolin oil rubbed over the paint, and Bug Off. Any advice?
I have found Armorall Extreme Sheild Wax to be very good.
Polished the bonnet & guards of my work car drove 400km's through stor
ms and the polished bits were spotless, the rest of the car less so.

20151115_141623.jpg

20140606_101319.jpg

20151115_181228.jpg