• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean05
    • Apr 2015
    • Cargo nsw

Fraser island trip

Hi all, me and my family are heading up to fraser in the first week of September. Any ideas, suggestions and tips?
    I LIVE MY LIFE A LOW RANGE AT A TIME!
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

Half your luck!!
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• budgie
      • May 2009
      • brisbane

Im heading over on the 5 Sept as well Go over twice every year
      2006 NP Snorkel Bullbar More goodies come 2001 NM full of goodies

Comment

• conquistador
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2012
        • sth east queensland

Originally posted by jean05 View Post
        Hi all, me and my family are heading up to fraser in the first week of September. Any ideas, suggestions and tips?
        Its all good.

But, do coach any kids...and adults for that matter on dingo safety. Keep em where you can see them. None should go off on their own. Even more dangerous can be the traffic on the eastern beach sth of indian head.

If you go to central station make sure you do the short walk.
        Take inflatable boat or lilo for eli creek and any of the lakes.

& let us know if the tailor are on?

Comment

• binda
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2013
          • rocky

Where abouts are you camping?
          I was at Cathedral Beach in April.
          The island is magic, hotspots are the usual, Sandy Cape, Champagne Pools, Lake McKenzie.
          Do make the trip to Wathumba Creek and spend a few hours hanging out, cooking a bbq lunch and a few beers creekside.

Valley of the Giants is cool, all the inland tracks are great fun to drive.

When I was there Kingfisher, Eurong and Orchid had their fuel price at around $2 a litre (unleaded and diesel) but Cathedrals was an insane $2.20 a litre.

The public toilet at Eurong was a test of endurance and I'd keep clear of it if you can at all help it.

Sunset on the eastern beaches are unbelievable.

I made a video of the trip, its up on youtube. Its a pitiful first attempt but you have to start somewhere.

04 NP DiD
          Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

• The Speedfighter
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

awesome video Binda!!!

It's my turn to go to Fraser at the end of the year. First time for me so I'm excited like no tomorrow!!!

Comment

• mattbris
              • May 2015
              • Bris

going third week

whats the tracks like

Comment

• jean05
                • Apr 2015
                • Cargo nsw

Hi all, Sorry for the late reply. Got back from the Island the week before last week and it was the best ever. I did not camp. I stayed in king fisher resort. Next time I will do the camping thing.
                The only thing I will change from my trip was to stay longer. I gad only 3 days on the island. Never went down south and only went up as far as Champagne pools.
                Because we stayed on the west side of the island, it took 45min each way to get to most places. So next time I will stay on the eastern side.
                I have to say that the Pajero did well going up and down from Orange, NSW. I got approx. 600km per tank and that's about 7km/L on 91ron fuel. Considering I have 267x75x16 muds on and bull bar and did speed limit all the way. Most places were 110km/h. Thats excluding fuel consumption on island. I used about 80L and did 350km. That's not a lot of km for Fraser.

I will be back next year!
                I LIVE MY LIFE A LOW RANGE AT A TIME!

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Hi,

Cathedral Beach on the northern end of the easter side is a nice campground.

Hope you had a great time - we love Fraser, but wouldn't go near school hols!

Cheers,
                  Sally
                  SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• Ian H
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2015
                    • Melbourne

Loved the video, very professional. It's on my 'to do' list.
                    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Brisbane

I know I'm digging up an old thread but Fraser Island is still there and it's time I got in on the fun.

We are looking at heading up in September (not school holidays) with my parents so we will have 2 vehicles with camper trailers. Plan is to catch the ferry over at Inskip Point . We have an 2 yo boy but would like to avoid crowds.

What are the recommendations for camp sites? I have been looking at getting a chemical toilet and hot shower so free camping is an option. How bad are the dingoes? Is it essential to stay in the fenced grounds if you have a kid?
                      2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• 06PAJ
                        • May 2017
                        • Brissy

Me with 3 kids .... dingo proof camp ground
                        If i only had 1 child and 4 adults with eyes on him at all times I'd do beach camping

They're cunning and quiet ... been chased into water a few times by them

September is prime fishing time so you will see them around for sure
                        2006 NS V6 EXCEED - SOLD
                        2014 NW 3.2L VRX
                        Wetseat Covers, Kings 9" LED driving lights

Comment

• aaron.miller
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • Epping, NSW

I suggest you consider Dilli Village, its just south of Eurong. Nice grassy area, flushing toilets, hot showers when the sun shines and is fenced off.
                          When i last stayed there, after the kids went to bed my brother and I thought we would walk down to the beach and see if there were any crabs on the beach for the kids to chase the next night, its about 100m from the camp along a track, we got to the beach and there were no crabs so decided that we would turn off our torches and admire the stars. After maybe 5 minutes we turned on the torches and there was a dingo maybe 5m from us. It took off straight away but we had no idea it was there. Walking back to the camp we saw its tracks, it had followed us down from the camp.

Aaron
                          2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• Alex86
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Here and there

Up at Waddy Point there's a fenced area with all the facilities. There's also an unfenced area. I stayed in the unfenced area not long ago and we didn't have any dingoes anywhere near us (that we knew of, obviously).

Dundubara is also fenced.

With a 2yo I'd lean towards the added protection of a fenced site, but keep in mind there could be an idiot who leaves the gate open and let's a dingo in. Do not expect it to provide absolute safety.

Depending on your camp setup you could camp safely outside a fence, but it would certainly require more vigilance on your part. But it's your kid so it's your decision. The extra protection a fence offers is certainly high on your list of things to consider.

Then most amount of dingo activity I saw on my trip was at Eli creek whilst there were lots of people. In quieter areas we didn't really see any. Go figure?
                            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Greater Sydney

Then most amount of dingo activity I saw on my trip was at Eli creek whilst there were lots of people. In quieter areas we didn't really see any. Go figure?

No people equals no food scraps. Dingoes are extremely intelligent animals.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X