• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roadsy
    • Nov 2017
    • QLD

Steering Rack Boots - Different Sizes

I had purchased a 2009 Pajero NT last year and I'm currently in the process of rebuilding it. With the steering rack out, I noticed that the driver side steering rack assembly is shorter than the other. The previous owner had purchased the same size (larger) boot for both sides and it has caused the driver side to bend back on itself. The boot is deteriorating at the point where it's bending, whereas the other side is still in good condition.

Here is a picture of what I'm referring to.

I thought this was just a simple mistake by the previous owner but when I was about to order a non-OEM replacement via online retailers, it appears they're suggesting that you purchase two of the same sized large boots, as shown below.

I've double checked the manufacture diagrams and it's definitely two different boots that you need to order separately. Here are the Mitsubishi part numbers MR510272 (Passenger Side) & MR510271 (Driver Side).

Hopefully this saves someone from doing the job twice.

Happy DIYing
    2009 NT GLS Pajero LWB Auto DiD, Kenwood DMX7017BTS & DRV-N520 Dashcam.
    &
    2009 NT GLX Pajero LWB Manual DiD, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Drivetech Suspension, Kings Springs, Polyair Air Bags, MT Deegan 38 Tyres, Rhino Rack Platform, Titan Drawers, Boo's Bash Plates, ProVent Oil Catch Can
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Recently did mine. Ill have to see if its collapsing. I dont think it is though.

Also there $20-$25 each from repco
    Rrb149 no left or right designation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seigried; 19-05-20, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Roadsy
      • Nov 2017
      • QLD

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
      Recently did mine. Ill have to see if its collapsing. I dont think it is though.

Also there $20-$25 each from repco
      Rrb149 no left or right designation.

Yeah, that seems like the same kit but for some reason Supercheap Auto have a different PN when you search via your vehicle. Have no idea why they're so expensive, given sparesbox currently has them at $13.56. I don't have any record of when they were replaced, so it might have still lasted a while. It's just the rest of the boot still seems soft and the passanger side is in great condition.

I've taken another photo from a different perspective to show how the non-OEM is pushed in at the end.

&
      2009 NT GLX Pajero LWB Manual DiD, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Drivetech Suspension, Kings Springs, Polyair Air Bags, MT Deegan 38 Tyres, Rhino Rack Platform, Titan Drawers, Boo's Bash Plates, ProVent Oil Catch Can

Comment

• Scooby
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • Ipswich, Qld.

On my NM the factory ones were different lengths, when I replaced them with ones from Repco they were both the same size of the longest factory one.
        I was able to slide the boot further onto the rack body so it didn’t double up like that on the shorter side.
        Will have to check to see how they are now, been about 12 months.
        Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Seigried
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2016
          • brisbane

Scooby was the one who gave me the repco part number. It is listed as being for every gen 3/4 pajero except the NS in there database. But it does fit.

I know some cars have diffrent part numbers for the left and right with the only diffrence being the orientation mr2 is one I think.

Comment

• Scooby
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2011
            • Ipswich, Qld.

Checked mine out yesterday and they are still like new.
            The issue with the longer one on the shorter side is only when on full lock.
            If the boot isn’t pushed onto the rack further than the original boot was, it bunches up badly and the rod clamp could also cut the boot.
            Once fitted just check the boots on full lock in both directions to see they are not being squished or stretched.
            Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Roadsy
              • Nov 2017
              • QLD

Good to hear...I'm sure that's a relief for a few people.
              &

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X