• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shanny
    • Dec 2013
    • Brisbane

Hiclone for Fuel Economy

Interested in hearing from those that have it/tried it. Please don't point to someone elses review online because there are plenty of them!

Those that don't know what is it refer here...www.hicloneqld.com

Thanks,

Shanny
    NT Activ 2010 3.2ltre Diesel. ARB Bullbar, ARB compressor, ARB Fridge, OME suspension Nitro shocks, Smitty Bilt winch, Rhino Rack platform tray, Dual Batts...it goes on...reliable weekender!
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

.Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

When I had a GU petrol patrol a few years ago I was playing around with the air intake when installing a snorkel and found 2 of them in there. I took them out as they seemed to constrict the intake a bit, made no difference at all.

Goodsy is right, save your money.
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• NFT5
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Canberra

the best thing I've ever heard about hiclones was the sound they make hitting the bottom of a dumpmaster
        Apart from the jocularity, if there were such gains to be made then I'm quite sure that Mitsubishi would have incorporated them, which they have.
        Chris

Comment

• shanny
          • Dec 2013
          • Brisbane

Thought as much but how do they get away with selling it? Why isn't ACCC all over it?
          NT Activ 2010 3.2ltre Diesel. ARB Bullbar, ARB compressor, ARB Fridge, OME suspension Nitro shocks, Smitty Bilt winch, Rhino Rack platform tray, Dual Batts...it goes on...reliable weekender!

Comment

• awill4wd
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2008
            • Pakenham, Melbourne

Originally posted by shanny View Post
            Thought as much but how do they get away with selling it? Why isn't ACCC all over it?
            It's quite simple, all these devices are marketed in the same way with anecdotal "evidence" of their claims.
            They work on the placebo effect where people feel if they have spent this money then there has to be a benefit.
            There are 2 govt agencies they always keep on the right side of the EPA and Fair Trading.
            With the EPA the device doesn't have to actually be of any benefit it just can't be detrimental to the emissions of a vehicle.
            As for Fair Trading they all offer a money back guarantee if the customer isn't satisfied (usually over a set time period) and this is where they are smart they actually honour that guarantee because they know the placebo effect means they will sell far more then are actually returned because the customer isn't happy.
            Even if the customer want to return the goods after the period of time the device is warranted they will usually provide a refund to show just how customer orientated they are. But it's just because they don't want to be in court and having to prove the veracity of their claims.
            Car companies spend millions trying to eke out the most power using the least fuel and you can be sure if it worked they would be using it, but they don't because all these devices are good for is taking money off gullible people.
            Regards Andrew.
            2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2012
              • Maitland, NSW

Really NFT5? Got any proof of this as this is the first I'm hearing about it

Hyclone myth has been busted already under extensive reviews and dyno testing.
              The fact they try and put turbulance in the intake before it hits the plenum ideally should be enough to tell you it's not going to work. So much velocity shift going on through the plenum that any turbulance pre plenum is immediately lost during the change. Then you have the fact that pleums are tuned to the porting of the heads and attempting to create turbulance through the plenum will likely just mess with the porting.

In thw dyno testing review the hyvlone starved the engine of air and consequently power as well. No fuel gains whatsoever and actually lost fuel economy in their average fuel tests.

If there was anyway that this method worked, manufacturers would be using it but they're not(not to be confused with solid fin water/dust separators).
              Last edited by Pauly Faulkner; 03-10-14, 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling *separators
              97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
              97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Goodsy
                Who ya gunna call....
                • Dec 2010
                • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                Apart from the jocularity, if there were such gains to be made then I'm quite sure that Mitsubishi would have incorporated them, which they have.
                They do but use the spinning air as part of the filtration system not as a means of gaining power or fuel eco.
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • Maitland, NSW

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                  They do but use the spinning air as part of the filtration system not as a means of gaining power or fuel eco.
                  +1
                  Particle separators. Turbulates the air into a high velocity sprial and heavy particles I.e water and dust are separated. Usually installed pre filtration.
                  97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                  97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Bogger
                    Unregistered as asked
                    • May 2011

I'll sell you one ................. $9.50 posted (Postage is $9.50)
                    Better than the $200 I saw one on Ebay for

Comment

• Jords
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Kellyville Ridge

Yep the first reply sums it all up!
                      2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• NFT5
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Canberra

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
                        Really NFT5? Got any proof of this as this is the first I'm hearing about it
                        Oh, I think we're actually on the same page here. I was talking about the swirl inducer in the inlet prior to the air filter, so that all of the filter surface is utilised evenly. Does nothing for power or fuel economy though, not when the air later goes through a filter and then a turbo.

Downstream, some manufacturers use swirl flaps in the intake manifold.
                        Chris

Comment

• Goodsy
                          Who ya gunna call....
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post

Downstream, some manufacturers use swirl flaps in the intake manifold.
                          Pajero DiD does.
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• NFT5
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • Canberra

Exactly.
                            Chris

Comment

Matched content