• Show
Clear All
  • rebelone607
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Urunga NSW

Originally posted by NPOiler View Post
    Berttm357,
    Does this only affect manuals ? My NP is an auto.
    If it affects autoes i could use a copy of the Hotfix as well.
    Get the hotfix idea out of your head NOW they will not honour it Brother inlaw done his at ACT about four weeks ago on first day of eight week caravan trip (we are travelling together) and whilst we had excellant help and advice from forum members especially Wilyum (thanks again) and great prompt service from National Capital Motors, no one wants to know anything about the hotfix - even rang MMA and got the bums runaround. Pays your $750 and move on
    Merv
    Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
    Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good

Comment

• smokem
      • Mar 2011
      • sa

seems to happen quite a bit to me lately!!
      i drove to Perth from SA and ended up stopping n hammering it back in every servo!!

ended up leaving the paj there for a month nearly!! had to get a toll employee to get it home for me half price!!

ive changed the clip to a new one and it popped out once again at gleesons landing so i gave it one alomighty belt with a 5 pound hammer and walla!!! all sweet now lol!!!

ps mine is auto phil !!

pretty poorly designed rear end if ya ask me!!!! would never thought something thinner than a coat hanger holds it together!!!
      want better fuel consumption?? stay home

Comment

• marcthelegend
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2008
        • Gosnells, WA

Hi All,

Noticed a few posts here with regards to how the new "original" clips went, I replaced just the circlip and it lasted a few weeks but then on a drive down south (110kph for 260km) both shafts popped out. Ended up getting new shafts / clips fitted, had one seal blow-out after that, mitsu replaced under warrantly and have had no issues from these in over 3 years!

Cheers

Marc
        05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
        brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• GPC
          • Jun 2012
          • Port Pirie

companion shafts

Hi all, just a question from someone who hasn't done this job before, but

Q. How do you get the companion shafts to pull out of the diff housing given that I thought the circlip was meant to hold them in and STOP them coming out?

Is it simply a matter of using more force than the circlip can handle to resist? I.e. using the long prybar as shown in the post? Is anything liable to break while doing this? Nothing is mentioned about grabbing the circlip with circlip pliers while prying the shaft from the housing? I don't quite get it!

Thanks for the great pics, and thanks very much in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Comment

• GHendo
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Northern NSW

Originally posted by GPC View Post
            Hi all, just a question from someone who hasn't done this job before, but

Q. How do you get the companion shafts to pull out of the diff housing given that I thought the circlip was meant to hold them in and STOP them coming out?

Is it simply a matter of using more force than the circlip can handle to resist? I.e. using the long prybar as shown in the post? Is anything liable to break while doing this? Nothing is mentioned about grabbing the circlip with circlip pliers while prying the shaft from the housing? I don't quite get it!

Thanks for the great pics, and thanks very much in advance to anyone who can help me out!
            I haven't done the job yet but I've seen the shafts and the circlip isn't the type you can grab with plyers - it doesn't have ends to grab.

As far as I know you just pry them out of the diff. It is the same as the front axles which I have had out. This is where MM engineers made their mistake - the circlip needs to just have enough grab to hold the axles in under normal operations but not enough to stop them being removed when you have to get them out. They made the clips a bit small (ie. weak) and they therefore don't have enough strength under certain conditions.

Cheers

Geoff
            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Benduro
              • Oct 2007

I am looking at getting this fix done to my 05 NP DiD Manual as preventative maintenance.
              Anyone able to provide the Hotfix or required parts numbers?

in advance.

Comment

• marcthelegend
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2008
                • Gosnells, WA

Originally posted by Benduro View Post
                I am looking at getting this fix done to my 05 NP DiD Manual as preventative maintenance.

in advance.
                Hi Ben,

I can't recall where I put the hot fix sadly

However, see here for the required parts on eBay. If you follow the above guide, the process is pretty easy and straightforward, just expect a few skinned knuckles by the end though
                05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Cairns

Originally posted by Benduro View Post

in advance.

PM me your email address and I will send it to you
                  2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Benduro
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks Aussie_Dan.
                    Pm sent.

Comment

• Benduro
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by marcthelegend View Post
                      Hi Ben,

I can't recall where I put the hot fix sadly

However, see here for the required parts on eBay. If you follow the above guide, the process is pretty easy and straightforward, just expect a few skinned knuckles by the end though
                      Thanks mate,

Father in law used to work in parts at local dealership so will give him those part numbers and see what he can do.

Comment

• 72pug
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Brisbane

Sorry for maybe slightly off course question.... can anyone tell me exactly the year models which are affected by this shaft/clip/seal problem...?.... as in , was it isolated to ONLY NP models...?...or are we talking ALL models from NM up until the end of NP production..?

Thanks in advance

Pug

Comment

• GHendo
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • Northern NSW

Originally posted by 72pug View Post
                          Sorry for maybe slightly off course question.... can anyone tell me exactly the year models which are affected by this shaft/clip/seal problem...?.... as in , was it isolated to ONLY NP models...?...or are we talking ALL models from NM up until the end of NP production..?

Thanks in advance

Pug
                          I seem to remember I answered this very question somewhere on the forum just the other day. The official MM Hotfix states ...

"Improvement: The snap ring diameter has been increased from 2.0mm to 2.3mm and the snap ring groove of the companion shafts have been enlarged accordingly from manufacture date of 20/10/2005."

Don't forget, if your NP was built before Jan 2003 (I think it is) you may have to change the axle assembly as well to fit the new companion shafts. The outside diameter of the axles shafts has to be 32mm. to fit the new companion shafts - if they are 34mm. you will have to change them - the bolt pattern on the flanges are different.

Cheers

Geoff
                          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• 72pug
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Brisbane

Cheers Geoff.....:-)

Pug

Comment

• csimic
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • Maitland

Circlip issues

Hi Guys,

What series are we looking at hear first of the NT's to present or has the factory caught up with the problem at some stage. Cheers, MH
                              2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• marcthelegend
                                Valued Member
                                • Sep 2008
                                • Gosnells, WA

Hi csimic, as of (I think) Oct 2005, the revised clip / shaft was used as standard

Cheers

Marc

To-do:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X