• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nab
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Perth

Gen 3 tablet install

I have been toying with having dash mounted mapping, music etc for a while. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Lenovo 7" Tab 3 16Gb tablet. It is quite user friendly and it fits in the top hole (where the clock and pocket used to be) like a bloody glove, literally a few mm to spare each side of the screen.

I based my install on this DIY thread, cheers to Bisho for doing all the leg work!!

I used 12mm MDF as the Lenovo tab was 9mm thick. I also used small bits of aluminum angle to hold it in. I made the holes slight larger so there is a bit of adjustment. I also added some 20mm holes for ventilation.

When the dash fascia is fitted there is no access to the power button so you can't "wake" it up from sleep. So I prised the back off it and got my mate who had a fine tipped soldering iron to solder on some wires to the back of the switch. I then mounted a switch on the fascia near the screen, works a treat!

The finished product. I haven't used it in anger yet but so far it tests well. There is just enough room to swipe the menus from the top and bottom. I installed a USB port in the top glovebox, fed directly from the aux battery. This way if I need to hook it up the the laptop its just a matter of plugging straight in via the USB charging cable.

You can see the power button near the top left of the screen. I also installed a aux cable, it comes out just above the the UHF and plugs into the front of the stereo, when not in use all the slack just pushes back into the dash.
    Last edited by Nab; 22-12-17, 07:32 PM.
    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto
  • Karlos
    • Feb 2017
    • Hunter Valley, NSW

Absolute top effort Nab! Looks the goods and should do a great job! Love the ingenuity of it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

Looks mint.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

Cheers. I actually went for a drive in the Paj today, I thought the angle of the screen would make it hard to read but so far it has no glare issues. I paired it to my phone while I was doing some errands, the kids watched some youtube on it and they think its the best thing ever haha!
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• gue555
          • Jan 2013
          • Hobart

I just added a lenovo 7 inch screen to mine. Works great, i bluetooth to the stereo so only needed the charger connection. Best mod ive done yet...the original outside temp gauge would constantly fail and had to be reset every few days which was annoying....Problem solved !

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X