• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redtag
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

Walkie talkies

Hi folks,
    I'm a keen fisherman/camper with a slightly nervous wife.
    I'm contemplating getting a pair of walkie talkies so that I can send frequent 'not drowned yet' or 'put the billy on, I'm coming back' bulletins to my wife while I'm away from the tent or car on some beach or river.
    Any suggestions as to good units that are water resistant (now you see why my wife is worried!) and have useful range? I usually go fishing on foot, so the range I'm after won't be huge but there will be forest, river banks, sand dunes etc in the way. What are the limitations to walkie talkies and their line of sight requirements in terrain such as this?
    Last week I was fishing in NZ, with my wife in a fishing lodge close to the river while I was out fishing. Do walkie talkies operate with a receiver in a room or a car? Can they be used to communicate with another car in a convoy or with a UHF radio in the case of an emergency?
    I'd be grateful for any advice.
    Redtag
    Charcoal PB auto, 2012. Pretty bog standard at the moment - nudge bar and IPF HID driving lights (bodgy retrofit by previous owner!), factory rear difflockt, Bushkins for intercooler and front diff, Toyo OPAT 265/65/R17 LT, profile bars and Oztrail awning, Ultragauge Blue, EGR plug n'play, Automate and paddles.
  • Merts
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2011
    • Bendigo Vic

There are a few water resistant handheld 80 channel UHF radios on the market.
    Uniden and GME both do one. They aren't cheap (mid $200s each).

They will work over a reasonable distance and are compatible with vehicle mounted UHF radios.

edit:

Go for 5 watt units for maximum range. You should get a minimum of a couple of kms in poor line of sight conditions, and quite a few kms in good clear line of sight.
    Merts
    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

There are a few brands on the market these days that offer "tradie packs" of hand held UHF radios, some of them rated IP67 (waterproof to 1m or so). I'm not in the market myself so I don't pay too much attention, but I would lean towards the "name" brands like GME & Uniden. I'm not sure how well Oricom's offerings compare, and I'd be very wary of the cheaper brands.

Money no object, I think it would be hard to go past this.

UHF is predominantly "line of sight", although it will bend / bounce to a certain extent. If you're worried that terrain may interfere with the signal, go for something with higher power - hand helds are available up to 5W. Similarly, if you're drawn towards some of the cheaper brands, opt for a higher output as a "compensation" for any range issues they might otherwise have.

I have a lower spec Uniden hand held, and a number of people have complained about the sound quality at the other end - even the truckie 200m in front of me on the flat.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Merts
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2011
        • Bendigo Vic

These are advertised as 'splash proof', so I'm unsure how water resistant they are in comparison to the GME or Uniden offerings, but they may be worth a look. At around the $100 mark they are pretty affordable.

I have one and the quality is very good. I've lent it to others in 4WD convoys in the Vic high country and you wouldn't know it was a handheld as the sound quality is as good as any of the inbuilt radios.

Last edited by Merts; 21-12-18, 03:38 PM. Reason: Typo
        Merts
        Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• oscaroo
          • Dec 2017
          • Sydney

I have the tradie pack of the Uniden 850s.
          5 Watt UHF Waterproof CB Handheld Radio

The seals are good if you've closed all the ports and have no accessories plugged in.

I've had the walkie talkie on the floor of an inflatable boat as I crossed camping supplies from one bank to another. There was water on the boat because i'm not particularly careful. The walkie-talkie was probably half covered with water and did not give me any problems then or now - a year or two later. No rust visible anywhere.

I use them for work occasionally and do not care if it is raining of if it gets sprayed.
          I use them when 4wding and do not mind if they fall into the mud.

You may be able to find them at a discount when ebay has some sales. Otherwise yea they're expensive but the benefit is that I don't have to baby them.

Tradie packs are nice because they include accessories.

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

ORICOM UHF2500-2GR 2 watt Waterproof Handheld Radio Twin Pack [UHF2500-2GR] ORICOM UHF2500-2GR 2 watt Waterproof Handheld UHF CB Radio Twin Pack FREE DELIVERY AUSTRALIA WIDE 3 YEAR ORICOM WARRANTY Rated waterproof to IPX7 and including a float and flash feature, this handheld radio is perfect for everyday use, wherever you might find yourself on the land, or by the water. The UHF2500 is light

These seem ok

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Keithyv
              Valued Member
              • May 2018
              • Perth

^ These are $79 a piece in the latest Repco catalogue (so not too different in price)
              2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Redtag
                • Aug 2015
                • Adelaide

Great, thanks for all the advice folks. It sounds like I wouldn't be disappointed in the performance of these units. I'll have a look over the break.
                Merry Christmas to all!
                Redtag
                Charcoal PB auto, 2012. Pretty bog standard at the moment - nudge bar and IPF HID driving lights (bodgy retrofit by previous owner!), factory rear difflockt, Bushkins for intercooler and front diff, Toyo OPAT 265/65/R17 LT, profile bars and Oztrail awning, Ultragauge Blue, EGR plug n'play, Automate and paddles.

Comment

• Redtag
                  • Aug 2015
                  • Adelaide

So, I got a pair of Uniden UH750s on sale from JB @ $278. Not the cheapest, but 5w
                  units and allegedly waterproof. Now looking for a cigarette lighter charger (not cheap, and harder to find) and a magnetic external antenna (quite cheap, one is on its way).
                  It will be interesting to see how much of the 17 km range that is achievable in river/coastal terrain.
                  Redtag

Comment

• littleriver
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • Queensland

Originally posted by Redtag View Post
                    So, I got a pair of Uniden UH750s on sale from JB @ $278. Not the cheapest, but 5w
                    units and allegedly waterproof. Now looking for a cigarette lighter charger (not cheap, and harder to find) and a magnetic external antenna (quite cheap, one is on its way).
                    It will be interesting to see how much of the 17 km range that is achievable in river/coastal terrain.
                    Redtag
                    Well done .. nice units ... temped to upgrade our unidens for them now .. keep us updated on their range and time before charges ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Redtag
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Adelaide

Well done .. nice units ... temped to upgrade our unidens for them now .. keep us updated on their range and time before charges ...

Will do, next camping trip to somewhere with fishable fresh water should be in February.
                      Redtag

Comment

• amec
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Wamberal

Water resistant and 5w output

PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• oscaroo
                          • Dec 2017
                          • Sydney

I had this one:

It did not survive my car being flooded. They were in the door pockets (in my Subaru) when the creek rose and filled it up water.

The batteries or unit bozo'd itself and the contacts rusted. They were replaced by the Uniden 5w ones by the Insurance company. Those Unidens I have splashed many times and flooded them too (in a floaty boat) and they're okay.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X