• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flying
    • Jul 2016
    • Sydney

Jaycar 60 Amp Panel Mount Circuit Breaker

Anyone used one of these in the engine bay? Can't seem to find any specs online...
    White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

I think you are talking about the self re-setting one with 2 lug bolts and a mounting hole.

You can mount it anywhere, but it's a good idea to mount it in a small box, also available from Jcay, or at the very least, Insulate it as the 2 terminals will be live.

The metal cover & mounting is insulated from the Circuit Breaker so it can be mounted to the bodywork, but does not need to be earthed, so it can be mounted anywhere.

Hope this helps

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Flying
      • Jul 2016
      • Sydney

Hmm , no, sounds different.. it's a manual reset in a plastic case already...

Just not sure if it will handle the heat?
      White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Flying View Post
        Hmm , no, sounds different.. it's a manual reset in a plastic case already...

Just not sure if it will handle the heat?
        There is a data sheet available from Jaycar, but it's not fully translated, so I'm not sure what the numbers really mean. At a guess, the "break time" numbers are in seconds, so it's indicating that it won't hold its rated current indefinitely at 20 degrees C.

It will also derate at higher temperatures, which you'll need to take into account. I suggest a maximum load of 40A (or thereabouts), but your wiring will still need to be rated for 60A.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Flying
          • Jul 2016
          • Sydney

So I installed it into the engine bay, then managed to snap the mounts off while tightening it.. not the most sturdy product I'd say... it keeps tripping after a few minutes of engine on and powering the redarc bcdc and second battery that I just finished installing.. not sure if it's the breaker or something wrong in the install ... the redarc is charging fine before it trips though... anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Maybe best to call their techstore 1800022888.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

... it keeps tripping after a few minutes of engine on and powering the redarc bcdc and second battery that I just finished installing.. not sure if it's the breaker or something wrong in the install ... the redarc is charging fine before it trips though... anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
              Which model BCDC do you have?

Is it the 60A cb?
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Flying
                • Jul 2016
                • Sydney

It is LFP1240- LV
                the feed is running from the battery, to the 60 amp Jaycar fuse, then to a redarc RK1260 relay, then to the LFP1240 which is in the cargo area

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

It is LFP1240- LV
                  40A output, with inefficiencies in the DC-DC conversion it will easily draw 50 A, possibly more if the supply side voltage is low.

Redarc states to use a 60 A fuse. A 60 A fuse should hold 60 A continuously at 25 degrees C. Your CB's specs indicate it won't hold 60 A indefinitely at 20 degrees C, and the physics of these things mean that it will trip faster at higher ambient temperatures.

Jaycar sold you a dud. You could try taking it back and arguing it's not fit for purpose, given that it's rated at 60 A but won't hold 60 A continuously. Unfortunately, because the tabs have broken, they may suspect you're making excuses for having broken it. Don't let them change the subject - a 60 A CB that won't hold 60 A is not fit for purpose, and you're entitled to a refund.

Don't accept an exchange unit - it's not fit for purpose. By all means try an alternative product if they have one you like, but I believe you are entitled to a full refund. I'd like to think jaycar would do the right thing.

Good luck.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Flying
                    • Jul 2016
                    • Sydney

Thanks for that NJ, I'll see how I go with taking it back...

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

The redarc 1240 will draw 56A at full load. I could never get any sized re settable breaker to hold this current on my 1240, even a 100A one. They are a great device, just not for continuous, high draw applications in my opinion.

Do yourself a favour, get rid of it and replace it with a solid fuse such as a mini anl (80A) as I did or a maxi fuse or similar.

EDIT: after seeing the reply below, please scratch the maxi fuse I recommended above. I meant to write midi as per john's advice.

Maxi fuses are renowned for melting in high current applications.

Apologies for writing the wrong fuse originally.
                      Last edited by sharkcaver; 12-11-18, 11:51 PM.
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• johndavis125262
                        • Apr 2013
                        • brisbane

ill tell you what it is its the switch i went through 5 of these dont buy another . buy this and you will never have that problem again what happens they get very hot the redarc really sucks the amp hard which cause heat it throws the switch and after time it gets worse and the plates inside get shiny and first bit of heat it throws so buy this and you will never be sorry dont forget to buy spare fuses regards john

Great for all forms. MIDI FUSE HOLDER. your dual battery setup. Bank deposit. of accessory installations in 4WDs, campers and other recreational vehicles. Ideal for fusing. re-saleable condition. In certain situations we reserve the.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by johndavis125262 View Post
                          ill tell you what it is its the switch i went through 5 of these dont buy another . buy this and you will never have that problem again what happens they get very hot the redarc really sucks the amp hard which cause heat it throws the switch and after time it gets worse and the plates inside get shiny and first bit of heat it throws so buy this and you will never be sorry dont forget to buy spare fuses regards john

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Midi-Fus...1&frceupt=true
                          This is the holder I recently installed for my BCDC 20, with a 40 A fuse. So far it's been a success.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X