• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

Wheel Nut Too Long?

I sourced a set of wheel lock nuts. However now in hand they're slightly longer than OEM.

I placed them on a wheel and took a photo from behind. Looks like they're just shy of flush (ie not protruding). Does anyone see an issue with this? I can't see that it would be but they're a good few mm longer and wondered whether I should grind them down a bit.

Original nut:

New lock nut:

NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Personally I can’t see there being an issue.
    What’s there to be concerned about?
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Have you also checked the distance between the underside of nut shoulder washer to the hub to ensure the thread will not bottom out in the nut. If this happens you could get insufficient clamping force on the rim even though the nuts are torqued up correctly.

Rather than shorten the nuts you could fit a washer under the nut shoulder washer.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

I cannot understand the issue here. It looks like thread inserts rather than wheel nuts. Whatever, as long as the insert does not protrude beyond the face of the hub, it doesn't matter. The wheel mounting face sits flat against the face of the hub and is clamped by the wheel nuts, so as long as there is no projection to interfere with the flat clamping surface, no problem.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Have you also checked the distance between the underside of nut shoulder washer to the hub to ensure the thread will not bottom out in the nut. If this happens you could get insufficient clamping force on the rim even though the nuts are torqued up correctly.

Rather than shorten the nuts you could fit a washer under the nut shoulder washer.

OJ.
          Actually I hadn't but it didn't 'feel' like it was binding at the end of travel but certainly something to check. If I'm realistic about it, using a 400mm 3/4" drive torque wrench doesn't lend itself to too much feel. There is a washer included and I used it. Are two washers an option is required or is there the potential for the nut to work loose? Either that or any other issue with using more than one washer?

Originally posted by Kiethyv
          Personally I can’t see there being an issue.
          What’s there to be concerned about?
          Anything that I hadn't thought about such as OJ's suggestion the thread may bottom in the nut.
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
            I cannot understand the issue here. It looks like thread inserts rather than wheel nuts. Whatever, as long as the insert does not protrude beyond the face of the hub, it doesn't matter. The wheel mounting face sits flat against the face of the hub and is clamped by the wheel nuts, so as long as there is no projection to interfere with the flat clamping surface, no problem.
            Thanks erad. They're not thread inserts, just me holding the nut on a wheel checking for protrusion. Ultimately the post was to cover off on anything that I may not have thought of and whilst I wouldn't normally ask a "no brainer" given the ease of communication on the forum platform I thought I'd ask anyway. OJ added a bit I overlooked so worth it from my POV. Maybe someone else will get something out of it to as it sits for all posterity.

Build Thread

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

As long as it doesn't protrude past face of wheel cant see any issues whosoever bud.
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Thicker washer rather than 2 washers is another option if you are still concerned.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Peterng
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Northern Rivers NSW

Personally..
                  my own opinion..
                  What's it worth..

Hang the expense..go and get a OEM nut..

Why?

i've heard of far too many stories of wheels trying to overtake the vehicle they have come off from and heading bush..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X