• Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Heads up from Supercheap

If your speedo is out of whack....less than half price
    Supercheap Auto is Australia's leading auto spares, parts and accessories retailer stocking a variety of car batteries, air filters, coolants and more online or in stores nationwide
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

I use a similar unit and I'm quite happy with it. Not sure I'd pay $96 for it although I guess that'd be cheaper than a fine.
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• Pickle
      Administrator
      • Jun 2007
      • All over Oz

Originally posted by Skexis View Post
      I use a similar unit and I'm quite happy with it. Not sure I'd pay $96 for it although I guess that'd be cheaper than a fine.
      Was about $48 when I posted.
      Dave
      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Skexis
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2012
        • Adelaide

Yeah that would be a fair price and comparable to one from ebay.
        "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• Mike DiD
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
          If your speedo is out of whack....less than half price
          http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...rom=2147483644
          I would never use a GPS based speedo - they only indicate real speed when travelling at a constant in a straight line and when there is no signal reflection of nearby buildings.

I know by comparing my OBD HUD with the GPS speed indication.

There are plenty of OBD HUD Speedos around for $50 or less.
          Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Where does the OBD HUD take it's readings from?

We have passed a line of cars sitting behind a highway patrol car doing 97 in a 100 zone without being pulled over. We had cruise control on set at 100k by the dedicated GPS speedo not a GPS. We have also passed general duties police cars and vans not doing the speed limit

We know it works and is accurate.

Had it for many years without drama.

Comment

• Skexis
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2012
              • Adelaide

Lots of cars don't have OBD. Mine certainly doesn't. As to the GPS speedos, mine shows the same speed as my satnav so I assume they're correct.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Skexis View Post
                As to the GPS speedos, mine shows the same speed as my satnav so I assume they're correct.
                I use OziExplorer on a Samsung tablet, and Torque Pro on a Sony smart phone. Yesterday, through twisty bits, Torque Pro tracked vehicle speed much more accurately than OziExplorer. I don't know if it's the device or the software, but not all GPS are equal.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Mike DiD
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                  Where does the OBD HUD take it's readings from?
                  OBD speed is taken off the driveshaft - same as your dash speedo.

The difference with an external HUD is that you can calibrate out the error in all dash speedos.
                  Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• grumpmeister
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2021
                    • Mt Burr SA

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post

The difference with an external HUD is that you can calibrate out the error in all dash speedos.
                    Think you will find that once you start doing the calibration yourself you throw out any legal argument benefits, unless of course you are qualified and licensed to do so...

Have always used a GPS based speed app on the phone and never been done for speeding in over 20 years, mate who is a traffic copper always told me that is the best defence, if you plan on fighting the ticket & when it ends up being argued in court the GPS always wins hands down.

Just what I've been told and experienced, for what it's worth. Pretty sure the brains trust will have someone who knows this from a better perspective.
                    All the gear and some idea.....
                    MY15 NX GLS, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 1220, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (all rear glass) ........
                    Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

• redbruce
                      Administrator
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Mike DiD View Post

And what is your reference for calibration?
                      PCOV Member 1954
                      MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM kitchen and drawer, ARB Smartbar. Stockman Extreme pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

• scottmeister
                        • Jan 2021
                        • Melbourne

SCA also have 20% off King Springs at the moment for the next few days! About $145 per front/rear pair.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X