• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlfA01
    • Nov 2019
    • Greece

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
    When you bolted the torque converter to the flex plate did it have to move forward a fair bit? From memory when I had the auto out of my NM it was about 5mm back and the standard bolts were long enough to thread in and pull it forward. Once again from memory the pump drive is 15 to 20mm long, so if the drive has pulled out you would have had to get longer bolts to pull the converter forward to bolt it up or would have had to lever it forward probably 20 to 25mm.
    I found the problem. Yes, the torque converter did move forward a bit when bolting to the flex plate.

My problem was the two input tabs that align the torque converter to the hydraulic pump were damaged and not engaging.

I had not checked these prior to install, as I thought the splined input shaft was the only interface from the torque converter to the hydraulic pump.

I swapped in a new hydraulic pump and everything with the gearbox is back to normal.

Now I'm having a pesky overheat problem. Randomly the gauge will get to the H then suddenly fall to 1/2 way between hot and cold. I

I've gone over the engine with a temp gauge and the radiator stay relatively cool even when the indicator is saying it's hot. Aft of the thermos stat is around 65~ degrees and fwd is 45~. Everything seems to be operating normally and there is no boiling over.

No matter what happens the radiator stays relatively cool. I will try to check the viscous clutch tomorrow.

I changed the thremostat and still the same results.

Comment

• Roofchop
      • Jul 2018
      • Carool, Australia

Common fault with random temp readings is a joint on the back of the temp gauge in the cluster.

You need to re-solder a joint back there.

Cheers
      Dave

2007 NS 3.8 V6 GLX Auto

Comment

• Scooby
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • Ipswich, Qld.

Glade to here it wasn’t an overly costly repair, but a bugger to have to remove the box again.
        I had my box out 3 times. The first to replace TC due to shudder, the second to replace the leaking rear crank seal that I replaced with a non genuine one with the TC, the third to replace the front drive shaft seal out of the transfer case as it started to leak due to the dirt that was on the shaft when I pushed it back. I couldn’t get the shaft out without moving the box back.h
        Haven’t had the temp gauge problem but had a fuel gauge problem. Had the dash cluster repaired. From memory they resolded the circuit board to fix that problem also.
        Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X