• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

the absolute irony of mitsi australias comments is the whole reason mitsi US has recalled them was due to a death caused by an airbag in a NL Pajero here in Australia
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Given the age of these airbags, the issues they appear to have caused & that BMW (& possibly other makers) have told owners not to drive them and get them towed speaks volumes to me. BMW is also offering to buy the cars back (presumably to crush them), perhaps because it isn't worth developing a replacement airbag at huge cost compared to buying the cars back at market value (20yo cars, so worth little).
      I'm a bit surprised MMAL isn't taking more drastic action than we have seen so far - probably trying urgently to work out what to do.
      If I had one of these I wouldn't be driving it until more is known - inconvenient but what value to put on the families' safety?
      I think our government has also said not to drive them.
      Hopefully MMAL will get to the bottom of it quickly.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Tough call.

Of the supposedly 78,000 affected cars in Australia how many people will die due to "common" road deathes, verses being affected by possible airbag issue. Sorry, didn't know how to word more humanely

Not driver "potentially" affected cars? So don't go to work, or pay $100/day for a taxi?

Unsafe so needs crushing? Remove airbag and car becomes as "unsafe" as the same model without optional airbag.

Son is in this boat at moment with his NL. Paid good money for a low km, immaculate version. But official market value would be signifiantly less.

As a 1st year apprentice, and no public transport he can't afford the $50 each way taxi fare to work each day.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• 2lateagain
          • Jul 2019
          • South of Nowra NSW

I received the following from my email to Mitsubishi :

Subject: Web Enquiry – Pajero VIN: Unspecified

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) acknowledges receipt of your recent correspondence.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the recent ACCC statement regarding a potential NADI airbag recall on our vehicles and we understand that you have concerns to your vehicles safety.

We can assure you that we take this matter seriously, as your safety is of the utmost importance to us.

We are currently seeking confirmation from our Head Office in Japan on whether or not this affects any of our vehicles.

Please may we request the following information in order to update our system. We will then be back in touch once we gain confirmation if your vehicle is affected or not.

VIN number:
          Date of birth:
          Address:

We await your response.

The VIN number was supplied, year of birth was supplied and PO Box number was supplied. No one gets DOB just because they ask and I fail to see what it has to do with an air bag issue. There was nothing about not driving the car so we continue on as normal, only driven rarely and as Christmas is here now, we will not be on the roads until all the terrorists have gone back home.

Graham
          1999 NL Exceed.

Comment

• Patagonia
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Date of birth? [emoji849]
            2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
            Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
            31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
            2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

I thought they must have weirdly worded request for the build date of the car, but surely not.

Could you please give us your date of birth, mothers maiden name, name of your first pet as a child, drivers licence number, blood type and details of any health conditions you may be experiencing

Comment

• aussieguy
                • Oct 2015
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by 2lateagain View Post
                I received the following from my email to Mitsubishi :

VIN number:
                Date of birth:
                Address:

just reply with.

Date of birth: N/A if you require more information about me please CC ACCC all requests as I'm lodging a complaint about delay tactics.
                05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• gemster
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Gold Coast

No Air-bags here, We Die like real Men....

Gemster...
                  YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                  And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                  ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• stumagoo
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by gemster View Post
                    No Air-bags here, We Die like real Men....

Gemster...

Yep mine were removed due to the style of driving my wagon does.... not going to risk accidental deployment from the G sensor in the cab due to jumping over sand dunes or bouncing up rocks....

Those truely worried it is not a huge thing to do to remove the airbag fuse - I would be happier doing that than risking those airbags

And as before the first article I read from a US pajero page mentioned the only known fatality in a NL was here in Australia so MMC Aussie saying they dont know if Aussie Pajeros are affected is them dodging the issue
                    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• arrow
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2007

Has anybody heard back fro MMA?

I would think 2 weeks is a reasonable time to determine which vehicles are affected or not.

It's a waste of time going to MMA's website because, as of today:

"Mitsubishi Lancer, Mirage, Pajero, Express and Starwagon models built between 1997- 2000 were mentioned in the ACCC press release on 17 December 2019 regarding Takata NADI 5-AT airbag inflators. These vehicles are NOT included in our Takata search tool."
                      Last edited by arrow; 07-01-20, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• stumagoo
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Perth WA S.O.R

Originally posted by arrow View Post
                        Has anybody heard back fro MMA?

I would think 2 weeks is a reasonable time to determine which vehicles are affected or not.

It's a waste of time going to MMA's website because, as of today:

"Mitsubishi Lancer, Mirage, Pajero, Express and Starwagon models built between 1997- 2000 were mentioned in the ACCC press release on 17 December 2019 regarding Takata NADI 5-AT airbag inflators. These vehicles are NOT included in our Takata search tool."
                        my guess is they have no idea of what vehicles were fitted with airbags from the vins...

Comment

• Enthymeme
                          • Jul 2019
                          • Somewhere

VIN lists now available on ACCC website at this link:

I had provided my details to MM about three weeks ago and have been monitoring the ACCC site since the original press release back in December. The list was only uploaded to the site yesterday, so I hope MM will be making contact soon, given my vehicle is on the list. I haven't driven it in 3 weeks, which is very frustrating.

One other thing worth mentioning - the PPSR for my vehicle has my VIN listed against a completely different vehicle number plate (and state), colour etc. I know the VIN and engine numbers are correct for my vehicle because I have the original purchase papers and service manuals, but it is interesting that the details held by NEVDIS are completely wrong, and it is these details that the manufacturers rely on to find the affected vehicles.

Comment

• Alex86
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Here and there

I’ll double check later, but on first glance it appears the Escape has, umm, escaped, the recall.

Shorty doesn’t appear so lucky at the moment. Crap.
                            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• pb4x2
                              • May 2015
                              • Deception Bay Qld 4508

I phoned our local Mitsubishi dealers service dept. and gave them the registration number of my Challenger and Triton and was told neither are on the list.
                              2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• tomwithannl
                                Valued Member
                                • Jan 2010
                                • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Well, mine is on the list, but I was expecting it.:dunno
                                I am NOT a conspiracy theorist BUT, here are some figures.
                                The official Takata air bag recall (NOT including our NADI 5AT inflators) has a worldwide number of 41,600,000 (41.6million) The total number of deaths world wide = 29. Injuries worldwide = 320.
                                I wonder how many deaths are caused by bald tyres, brake failure or other mechanical fault, not wearing seat belts, using mobile phones, etc, etc let alone by people dropping dead of a heart attack that they were warned COULD happen?
                                I realise that because it is now a known problem it has to be addressed. I still wonder if governments (and car manufacturers) are not secretly grinning at the latest NADI 5AT problem as it will undoubtedly lead to a high number of vehicles being scrapped (bought back) which in turn means more new car sales and a reduction in the number of these "old polluting banggers" on the road. (makes the pollution reduction numbers look good!) As I say it is just idle thought on my part but really did anyone honestly think that an explosive charge in a real world environment would last for ever?
                                JUST MY RAMBLING
                                Tom
                                1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                                1953 Morris Minor ute
                                1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                                2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X