• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schnitzel
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Bendigo

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
    Well there you go. Never knew Mitsi only recommend synthetics for the NS/NT. Not doubting you, just never knew that. I would still run mineral myself, I am yet to be converted that synthetics are cost effective compared to mineral, be they better or not in performance, more environmentally friendly, and not a drain on a depleting natural resource.

Shane.
    Synthetics are still a mineral oil, they are just a more highly refined oil with more consistent @*$#@*$#@*$#@*$#cular structure which does enable them to perform to a higher standard and for a longer period. Think about the extended service intervals that manufacturers now allow, one of the ways they get that is by using better quality oil combined with a bigger sump. ( how many modern cars have the old 4 litre sump of days gone by)

Reality is that in some cases the synthetics do provide value for money, in others definetly not. Take the old 4m40 in the gen 2 pajeros and Delicas, I would not recommend a synthetic as a viable cost saving exercise as these motors are a high soot motor that will saturate the oil with soot long before the actual oil wears out, the later common rail 4m41's in the NS and NT have had major changes to the fuel delivery systems combined with upgraded emissions systems and are a much lower soot producing motor hence you can get a longer service life out of the synthetic oils which then do in fact provide a cost saving.

I do run synthetics in my transmission and diffs as I have seen the benefits in those areas, i run mineral in my Delica as the synthetic is of no benefit as it soots up as quickly as the mineral so is of no economic benefit. i run a semi synthetic in my pajero as it allows a significantly longer service interval on the type of miles it does. If I lived in the city with stop start traffic everyday on that vehicle I would use a mineral oil and change it more regularly, but because the shortest trip it does is 50 k it achieves operating temperature every time I use it so I can extend the service interval. How many realise it takes approx 15 km's at 100k for an engine to reach full operating temperature?, and this has a marked effect on the service life of any oil.
    Last edited by schnitzel; 18-11-11, 07:58 PM.
    Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• LVB
      • Sep 2010
      • Lake Macquarie, NSW

Well, I was going to give delo a try until reports on here of sampling returning V100 values dropping to 12-13Cst. That's no better then the Penrite product I'm using now.

Shane.

Shane,

Have you considered the Mobil Delvac MX ESP. I have been researching oil myself a bit of late and when I rang the local Mobil distributor for pricing on Delvac 1 this is what he recommended. Due to a lot of short trips he thought the Delvac 1 was overkill. It seems to get a lot of good feedback. In the USA it's called Delvac 1300 Super - there's only very slight difference between the 2 according to the spec sheets. Seems to be similar to the Delo 400 but doesn't seem to lose viscosity.

Lance vB
      '02 NM GLS Man Di-D, 40mm Lift, EFS Coils, HD Front, SD & Polyairs in Rear, EFS Elite Struts & Shocks, Bushskinz Intecooler & Sump Guard, ARB Awning, Rhino 2500 Multi Fit Aero Bars.

Comment

• Gus
        Administrator
        • Mar 2008
        • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by saj View Post
        I'm pretty sure Gus has used Penrite Deisel 15 since day dot, and he has over 200k now.
        True I have..

technically, yes. Service interval is only one parameter in selecting the correct lubrication. All well and good if your oil lasts forever but doesn't lubricate in the interim.

And has Gus ever had his oil analysed????

I'm seeing a trend in my analysis with HPR D15 in v100 figures reducing 25% over 7500Km's. That concerns me a little. If your v100 figure drops too low you run the risk of a breakdown in the oil film and losing hydrodynamic lubrication leading to premature wear/ component failure. The sample results of Dello i've seen in the 3.2L are worse than the HPR D15. I have a suspicion the 3.2L is a harsh engine in regards to oil shear. I want to find a better alternative.

Shane.
        G'day Shane, I did have the oil analysed & can say I was happy with it at the time as was the Mechanic.. I've looked everywhere for the print out & I'm buggered if I can find them, I did them 1st up due to the fact I was told 15'000Ks was o'k between changes & having come from an 80 series which was every 5,000 ks I was a sceptical.. Anyway the oil was analysed at 5, 7.5, 10 & 15 Thou & the conditions was country driving with very little off road at the time & yes their was a slight difference but no where near 25%..

I will say that I did for the main every 15 Thou but
        7.5 Thou oil & filter when towing or off Road & since it's clocked up 200 Thou I do it every 10 Thou & 5 towing/off Road..

Very interesting results you have had.. keep us informed of your findings & if you come up with a better oil.. not saying I'd change but you have got me thinking..

Gus.

(sorry for the late reply on this 1 I missed it some how)..
        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Shane Huxham
          • Oct 2019
          • Melbourne

What oil is the best for a 2011 NT Pajero. Diesel of course

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
          Your NP is fine on the Delo 400 ( caltex even recommend it), that oil is perfectly suitable for it and i have no problem with you using it ( it is a reasonable quality oil, I have never disputed that), I am just saying that people with newer technology engines will need to change their way of thinking to cope with those changes. If it was an NS or NT diesel then it would not be suitable.

As I said i am not having a go at any one, every one is entitled to their opinion I am merely offering my industry knowledge and experience as an opinion.
          So what is best for the NT. Are you saying Delo 400LE is not .

Comment

• 4ePikanini
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • South Africa, East London

The latest iteration is Delo 400 MGX which is DPF friendly and far exceeds the required spec for the 3.2 Pajero engine.

You can use delo 400 MGX without any issues. It is a top class oil!
            1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
            2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
            2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Garygls
              • Jun 2007
              • Rockhampton

Delo 400 to Bimrose New Generation

Just had been reading through this thread with interest, I’ve used Delo 400 since the Paj was new , I’ve had the valves inspected and adjusted @ approx 210k the Mechanic said it was the cleanest Diesel engine he’s seen and keep on doing oil changes as I had been. I was servicing it at 7.5k then.. In saying that he talked me into trying Brimrose New Generation oil keeping up the same service intervals.. I now changed it at 10k after getting an oil analysis done every change now
              I will try to post the results.. I couldn’t get the photo to upload

The viscosity results @ 229000klm V40: 98 ,V100 13.5
              @ 240000klm V40:96 ,V100 13.2
              @ 250000klm V40: 97, V100 13.4

Bimrose Typical viscosity 15 cST @ 100c
              124 cST @ 40c

The results come back acceptable with no action required
              Dual Battery
              80Ltr Waeco
              91Ltr Longrange Tank
              3" Lovells/Bilstein
              3” Exhaust
              Winch