• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WHID
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Still...its cost nothing as he now has a handy socket set and the experience may help if he tackles other jobs. Thank goodness he wasnt putting a snorkel on!!!....lol
    Oh crikey, a snorkel is on the agenda.

You are dead right Dicko - the whole experience has been educational.

First lesson was there are some shysters out there - especially in the automotive services industry - I knew that anyway. Having said that, there are some marvellous people out there too, I'm sure. I'm searching really hard for someone in whom I can trust.

Second was don't let anyone work on your car who doesn't have their heart in it, even in the face of what might (or might not) be a reasonable fee.

Third, when one engages in self deprecating humour, someone will always try to depreciate you further - and in a more serious tone. Too bad for me.

Fourth, Dicko's a good man. His sensible and empathetic advice put me on the right track.

Fifth, and yes, I now have an extra array of tools which, in time, will be useful.

Sixth, the experience was 'Gold' - I learnt quite a bit and it will carry me on well.

Seventh, I need to up the volume of band-aids in the first aid kit - knuckles, hands etc., have suffered significantly.

Eighth, I have a vehicle which will likely not suffer the travails of one without an oil catch-can.

Thank you all for the helpful advice - it is much appreciated.

WHID
    Last edited by WHID; 18-02-20, 08:06 AM.
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• Pixie_au
      • Apr 2019
      • Queensland

Anecdotal time taken on jobs is a bit like anecdotal fuel economy...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

WHID, I'm sorry that your install wasn't quite the dream job that everybody always hopes for, but thanks for posting your experience - your thread has been entertaining.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• orthodoxs
          • Mar 2018
          • Darwin

When I got my provent kit a couple of years back, it came with a leaflet with explanatory pictures and a number to call for help and advice, out of curiosity I called the number to be given some golden advice, guy says 'look at the pictures mate, Righty tighty, lefty loosey, thats it'

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by orthodoxs View Post
            When I got my provent kit a couple of years back, it came with a leaflet with explanatory pictures and a number to call for help and advice, out of curiosity I called the number to be given some golden advice, guy says 'look at the pictures mate, Righty tighty, lefty loosey, thats it'

I,m guessing he was an Aussie....lol
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• El_Freddo
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2018
              • Bridgewater, Vic

Ninth: a set of gloves will reduce the number of required band aides. The savings on bandaids could pay for the gloves.

Entertaining read, glad you got it in the end.

Will you be doing your own oil changes next??

Cheers

Bennie
              2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• WHID
                • Oct 2019
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by El_Freddo View Post
                Will you be doing your own oil changes next??
                A very good chance Bennie.

Just have to come to terms with the Boos Bash Plate/s removal. I think I have it . . . righty tighty, lefty loosey. Simple really, innit?
                Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• Two Emms
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2020
                  • Mansfield, Vic

Thanks for an entertaining post showing someone prepared to have a go (regardless of the risk of injury!) and the help available here. May your knuckles heal before your next foray into mechanical mystery. I recommend an alcohol rub applied to the tonsils

Stick with it.The benefit of poking around under the bonnet yourself is that you will get an idea of what it looks like when everything is in order. Persevere with the small jobs as one day you will open the bonnet and spot a potential or real problem and save yourself a walk home or a wad of cash, or both.
                  As an aside, I also had fun with my provent install. The provent catch can, great. The guys at western filters, even better. The instructions supplied with the kits, not so much. I fitted one to my paj last year and the instructional photos could best be described as a 'general guide'. Nothing major but a little frustrating. I actually had to notch the bracket to clear the bonnet latch cable. I "knew" that the bracket was made for my model and "should" just bolt straight on, but no. No matter what I tried, the bracket would not go on without a small modification.
                  2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• orthodoxs
                    • Mar 2018
                    • Darwin

Also the western filters older provent kit has the straight transverse hose a wee bit too long, causing it to kink, blocking the lumen. It needs a small shortening Oblique cut on one end, to make a graceful 'S' curve. If cut too much, the pipe probably becomes too taut and pulls out due to the movement of the engine on its bed. Hope the newer Kit does not have this problem, please check that there are no kinks in the hose after the install and that all connections are intact after a week or so of driving.

Comment

• Tomalophicon
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Canberra

Originally posted by WHID View Post
                      A very good chance Bennie.

Just have to come to terms with the Boos Bash Plate/s removal. I think I have it . . . righty tighty, lefty loosey. Simple really, innit?
                      You'll find your lost sockets too.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X