Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Product reviews and New releases

Product reviews and New releases Review of commercial products and latest accessories

Old 30-05-18

Default Rhino Foxwing vs 30 second awning video comparison

Hi all,
Whilst away camping on the weekend, a friend and I took the chance to compare our 270 degree awnings side by side and capture some video whilst we were at it.
They're both very similar in what they do, but each has its own strengths w hen it comes to design or weight.
We're both happy with our purchases. Neither is perfect and I think you could take a little of both to make a better product all up.
That's always the way though.

here's the video review.

https://youtu.be/yFeL0RgDsZw

cheers Brett
Old 30-05-18
Valued Member

i think the foxwing is better for all round.The 30 second one looked very "loose.In the rain the water would pool badly .With the foxwing it seems tauter(i have the small version) and you can set the angle to shed the water.In NZ we can get a lot of rain!

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"
Old 30-05-18

Yes, that for me was a definite positive for the foxwing. being able to drop the sides using the poles but still mantain the structure in the rain is huge for me.

I'm not sure how the 30second would handle that especially with only one leg.

I can only imagine the panic to pack it up with all your gear out if the rain came and it started to pool.

Ive not yet had mine out in heavy rain (drought here in NSW) but have had some on it and it seems to shed it well without the concern of pooling.

Still only one way to find out.

Do you think the eco is the same quality level of the full size one ?

I think they look like a pretty good alternative to the usual awnings for smaller cars.

I did hear somewhere that foxwing had made a new version of mine with some improvements but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 30-05-18
Valued Member

i cant comment but i think the smaller one is exactly the same....just smaller each arm is about 2.1 m long instead of about 2.5 m long

new foxwing

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Last edited by KiwiNTPajero; 30-05-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 30-05-18

cheers. I was still looking on the oztent website.

some improvements there but not sure I'm convinced it's as solid as the old one.

Will have to suss one out when I get the chance.
Old 31-05-18
Valued Member

i think it (the quality)still the same as some of the spare parts are interchangeable between new and old,so i surmise it is made from basically from the same materials.I have absolutely no factual basis for the statement apart from the above

Old 31-05-18
Pajero Club Life Member

Default Rhino vs Foxwing

The thing I see is quick set up for shade without disconnection the van/camper is not possible. Only practicle in a base camp setting, but then you have the van/camper awnings for shade, as such for the price not practical compared to a 'straight' awning. I certainly wouldn't spend my money on them.
Old 31-05-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paj View Post
The thing I see is quick set up for shade without disconnection the van/camper is not possible. Only practicle in a base camp setting, but then you have the van/camper awnings for shade, as such for the price not practical compared to a 'straight' awning. I certainly wouldn't spend my money on them.

I am of the same opinion. Cant see the sense in having a camper/van/trailer and a foxwing as well. $100 2.5/2.5m 4WD SUPERCENTRE AWNING DOES A BLOODY GOOD JOB(HAVE SWAGGED UNDER MINE A FEW TIMES.) I could see the merit in having one on a small camper for shade though.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 31-05-18
Valued Member

I've been using a Foxwing since they first came out. They are brilliant in circumstances like fishing or camping on the beach, or when its raining for example, as the rear of the car is protected from the elements. With the side screens attached the available space is expanded for the kids to stay out of the sun. With a side awning there is no protection for the rear door when its open and you're working out of the back. That's without a camper trailer in tow of course.
NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
Old 01-06-18

when i take the caravan away I find I don't use it.
When I camp out of the car or as Onslow said, going fishing where I can get the paj near the action, I use it all the time.
From a price perspective, I get the the cheaper options but for setting up, i think these are easier than the standard pull out one I used to have.
Plus being able to leave the side and rear doors open in a rain is bloody brilliant.